ASA Umpire mechanics and what you need to work on

BigSam

Addicted to Softballfans
I watched a couple videos on umpiring mechanics and did some reading (here and otherwise) and decided to try and clean up my act. Specifically two: verbal ball four and NOT pointing runner to first. Man that was hard to break out of. The verbal ball four was no problem, but my t-rex arm kept pointing to first on its own. I mostly have that under control now, though I'll have to keep working at it to not backslide. And the second is not making the fist bump "hit the plate" gesture. Another tough one, but I was mostly able to shut that off.

What mechanics are you worst at? Or something you had to start doing or stop doing and why? Also, any that other guys do that make you nuts? A couple stand outs for me:

- umps that verbalize where EVERY pitch goes. You know the guy "ball, outside just a bit" and "strike two right over the corner"

- umps that say and/or gesture DEEP for pitches that were high. UGH

- umps that call time with the ball in the outfield, rolling around, runners still in motion, etc

Oh, and finally, especially ASA rec guys... are you VERBALIZING illegal on flat/10+ arc pitches? Read somewhere that we're supposed to be doing that, and I had just stopped doing that earlier this year due to players being jerks about it. I always figured if you didn't call it out for the batter then you were really giving the pitcher the edge. How about it, anyone change this year and start verbalizing it? How did your players react?

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
Most of the things I need to work on, from what I've been told, are nit-picky things. When behind the plate, if the batter hits a foul ball up the third base line, I have a tendency to take two or three steps down the line. Totally unnecessary.

I also have the tendency on a "safe sell" to bring my arms back in too quickly. I need to hold them out there a little bit longer.

I can't stand the commentators you describe - the ones who say "ball, inside! Strike, corner!" It's "ball" or "strike," nothing more. Well, unless I'm behind the plate in fast pitch. Then it's more like "AASJKDIUQRNJACMN!!" or something similarly unintelligible.

Yes, I do verbalize "illegal" every time I've determined a pitch to be illegal, even the flat ones. That's how it's supposed to be done.

dragon3303

Addicted to Softballfans
I don't get the backlash on umpires who verbalize why they're calling the pitch a ball (outside, inside, deep, etc). I know there's been plenty of times in slow-pitch, modified, fast-pitch, and baseball where the umpire makes a ball call and then the pitcher will later question the catcher or someone on it and they won't have any clue as to why it was called a ball ("don't know...looked like a strike to me"). For myself, I don't mind knowing what they're thinking when they make the call. I look at it similar to a safe/out call. You'll often hear an umpire call safe with "he's off the base, he's under the tag, etc". There again it at least lets everyone know what the umpire saw when they're making their call. Or do most people also want them just making a safe/out call with no explanation if it's not a routine play?

dtrotd

Coach
My umpire related pet peeve is when one is umping a game in a 1 man system.

Close play at any bag be it force or tag, trap play in the outfield etc etc

And umpy doesn't even bother to move an inch.
If you're going to be adamant in your calls, at least show a little effort and come out from behind the plate.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
I don't get the backlash on umpires who verbalize why they're calling the pitch a ball (outside, inside, deep, etc). I know there's been plenty of times in slow-pitch, modified, fast-pitch, and baseball where the umpire makes a ball call and then the pitcher will later question the catcher or someone on it and they won't have any clue as to why it was called a ball ("don't know...looked like a strike to me"). For myself, I don't mind knowing what they're thinking when they make the call. I look at it similar to a safe/out call. You'll often hear an umpire call safe with "he's off the base, he's under the tag, etc". There again it at least lets everyone know what the umpire saw when they're making their call. Or do most people also want them just making a safe/out call with no explanation if it's not a routine play?

The difference in what you're describing is actually a couple of things.

1) Telling everyone where the pitch is comes off as either coaching or as trying to justify a bad call. It may very well be outside, or it may very well be high, but the perception by coaches is that you're trying to justify a bad call that, in their eyes with the vision of a hawk on steroids, was clearly a strike.

Most catchers know whether the pitch missed outside or may have been a little high. They don't need us telling them. The catcher and/or coach should be the ones telling the pitcher "bring it back in" or "bring it down some." They don't need us coaching the pitcher, and they certainly don't need us providing commentary on something as common as a pitch.

2) Calling "off the bag, SAFE!" is not coaching. Rather, it's us declaring that despite the fact that it may look one way to the rest of the world, we saw something on a play that changes the call - the fielder pulled his/her foot, the ball wasn't secure in the glove, etc. Yes, that's "justifying," but it's nowhere near the same level. There's a world of difference between the rare justification of a safe/out call and justifying pitches over and over.

Perhaps someone can explain it better than I, but I don't see how the two are even remotely comparable.

beernbombs

Abby's dad

If you're going to be adamant in your calls, at least show a little effort and come out from behind the plate.

You should complain to the LD or TD about only one umpire.

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans

Why should someone move for another who calls him "umpy"? :)

MrWilliams

The Veteran
I need to work on getting closer on tag plays, and getting set up a bit farther back from the catcher (more for personal safety, had some very close foul balls whiz past my chin).

One player said I need to develop a cool strikeout call, like the ones she saw on YouTube. :)

What's wrong with the "fist bump" for a ball hitting the plate? I call (and coach) USSSA and dang near every umpire I see at tournaments uses that mechanic. Is it just an older style not used anymore?

I will verbalize calls on occasion when it's close and I know the coaches are going to bark about it (youth-ball SP coaches can be, uh, 'interesting' - you'd think every game was Game 7 of the World Series...).

-Williams

What's wrong with the "fist bump" for a ball hitting the plate? I call (and coach) USSSA and dang near every umpire I see at tournaments uses that mechanic. Is it just an older style not used anymore?

Its not an ASA mechanic.

But yeah almost all USSSA umps and many ASA Umps do use that signal.

ImminentDanger

Up and Over
1) Telling everyone where the pitch is comes off as either coaching or as trying to justify a bad call. It may very well be outside, or it may very well be high, but the perception by coaches is that you're trying to justify a bad call that, in their eyes with the vision of a hawk on steroids, was clearly a strike.

Most catchers know whether the pitch missed outside or may have been a little high. They don't need us telling them. The catcher and/or coach should be the ones telling the pitcher "bring it back in" or "bring it down some." They don't need us coaching the pitcher, and they certainly don't need us providing commentary on something as common as a pitch.

As a pitcher, I hate this as well - I know what I want to pitch to a particular batter and I don't need the umpire telling me to bring it down or up or whatever...

One of the major misconceptions about pitching is that every effort should be made to make every pitch a strike - and anything else is a bad pitch!! :smashfreakB:

%%%

MaverickAH

Things I've been consciously working on this year:

1. Keeping my head on a swivel when there are multiple runners on.
  2. Making sure to get into optimal positions to see both the catch & any tag ups.
  3. Getting into a proper rhythm for making calls & staying with it, even on close plays. (Nothing worse than rushing a call only to have something happen that causes you to reverse it!)
  4. Turning off my "coach software" when umpiring. (This is probably the hardest to do with all the stupid **** I see both players & coaches doing almost every game!)

Over the last couple of years, I've done many more single ump games. Many more than I did in the 10 years preceding them. A lot of them have been men's games & the speed of the games have made 1 & 2 a necessity.

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
Things I've been consciously working on this year:

1. Keeping my head on a swivel when there are multiple runners on.
  2. Making sure to get into optimal positions to see both the catch & any tag ups.
  3. Getting into a proper rhythm for making calls & staying with it, even on close plays. (Nothing worse than rushing a call only to have something happen that causes you to reverse it!)
  4. Turning off my "coach software" when umpiring. (This is probably the hardest to do with all the stupid **** I see both players & coaches doing almost every game!)

Over the last couple of years, I've done many more single ump games. Many more than I did in the 10 years preceding them. A lot of them have been men's games & the speed of the games have made 1 & 2 a necessity.

May I add that you be more deliberate in your actions. Many people confuse running with hustle. As a BU, the only time you need to run is to get inside. Once there, it is all about angle first and then take a step closer, if necessary. As PU in a one-umpire game, you can literally through the infield and cover every base with ease. This also allows you to keep your eyes focused on the play in front of you and avoid getting too close to a play.

MaverickAH

May I add that you be more deliberate in your actions. Many people confuse running with hustle. As a BU, the only time you need to run is to get inside. Once there, it is all about angle first and then take a step closer, if necessary. As PU in a one-umpire game, you can literally through the infield and cover every base with ease. This also allows you to keep your eyes focused on the play in front of you and avoid getting too close to a play.

My positioning is fine. It's just that this is NYC. It's mostly modified ball & in the men's game, testosterone, ego & attitude levels can be jacked up more than just a bit! Umpiring here is not for the weak of heart or mind & the higher up the competition & talent scale you go, the bigger the crybabies & PITA's you're likely to encounter. You've got to be on point because if they don't know you, they're gonna test you.

Not unusual to have multiple runners on, a sacrifice fly & appeals on runners leaving early, warranted or not. This is followed by uproars no matter what you call. It can be especially difficult in a 1-man when you have this type of play with the added complexity of confirming a diving catch.

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
My positioning is fine. It's just that this is NYC. It's mostly modified ball & in the men's game, testosterone, ego & attitude levels can be jacked up more than just a bit! Umpiring here is not for the weak of heart or mind & the higher up the competition & talent scale you go, the bigger the crybabies & PITA's you're likely to encounter. You've got to be on point because if they don't know you, they're gonna test you.

Not unusual to have multiple runners on, a sacrifice fly & appeals on runners leaving early, warranted or not. This is followed by uproars no matter what you call. It can be especially difficult in a 1-man when you have this type of play with the added complexity of confirming a diving catch.

It is only as difficult as you allow it to become. If they don't like something and want to prove a point, remind them that by rule the only person that MUST stay in the game is you. The rest can leave any time they, or you, want them to :)

trip

stfu

being three steps closer to a call in the outfield isn't going to sway my decision. I've got good eyesight and from my pov behind the plate it's as good as i'm going to get. I don't need my head bouncing all over by sprinting towards the mound.

often times there are multiple plays, my priority is right there at home.

BigSam

Addicted to Softballfans
being three steps closer to a call in the outfield isn't going to sway my decision. I've got good eyesight and from my pov behind the plate it's as good as i'm going to get. I don't need my head bouncing all over by sprinting towards the mound.

Interesting. I hate being behind the plate for calls, even if those calls are AT the plate. Too confined there, and in danger of bad throws to worse catchers. I always come out in front of the plate at least a step or two. If I'm making a call at first, I step out to the 3rd base line, and any other call I step out towards first. That (usually) clears the catcher and/or pitcher, and lets me move towards 2nd or third for a tag play if needed.

Not saying my way is the right way, just sharing. Oh, and I'm always umping alone, and our field has a tight backstop. None of that wide open fastpitch stuff... I could see staying behind the play there.

joncon

Addicted to Softballfans
My request to umpires everywhere....call time !

Most do but quite a few do not.

I play infield am I'm one of those guys that always pays attention to the status of the play and it drive me nuts when umps just turn their backs while there is still something possibly going on.

Please, just take a quick look around and call time.

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
My request to umpires everywhere....call time !

Most do but quite a few do not.

I play infield am I'm one of those guys that always pays attention to the status of the play and it drive me nuts when umps just turn their backs while there is still something possibly going on.

Please, just take a quick look around and call time.

There is no excuse for umpires to not clear the field and call time when it is appropriate.

What is worse is working a SP game with a FP umpire on the plate.....in ASA Men's Major Church NC....who never called time after the end of each play

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans

IOW, you are too lazy to do the job as directed and will do whatever to justify it

MaverickAH

It is only as difficult as you allow it to become. If they don't like something and want to prove a point, remind them that by rule the only person that MUST stay in the game is you. The rest can leave any time they, or you, want them to :)

Trust me, I have very few problems. ;) All I am saying is that here, they will test you, especially if they don't know you. Usually if you stay firm, calm & demonstrate that you know what you're doing, they settle down. The last thing you want to do is take an adversarial position.

dtrotd

Coach
IOW, you are too lazy to do the job as directed and will do whatever to justify it

CORRECT!!!
Had it happen again just this past weekend.
I'm playing 3rd
Runner on first, hit to the outfield
Runner going 1st to 3rd on the hit
Ball comes to me, runner tries to dodge the tag and I clearly hit him right in the chest.

Umpire in a PROVINCIAL Tournament ( yes Canada ) doesn't move an inch and calls him safe.
Everyone saw the tag, the runner admitted it, their 3rd base coach admitted it and even their players on the bench said " ya he got him, but that's the call"

I don't think it's too much ask

trip

stfu
Interesting. I hate being behind the plate for calls, even if those calls are AT the plate. Too confined there, and in danger of bad throws to worse catchers. I always come out in front of the plate at least a step or two. If I'm making a call at first, I step out to the 3rd base line, and any other call I step out towards first. That (usually) clears the catcher and/or pitcher, and lets me move towards 2nd or third for a tag play if needed.

Not saying my way is the right way, just sharing. Oh, and I'm always umping alone, and our field has a tight backstop. None of that wide open fastpitch stuff... I could see staying behind the play there.

well yeah i'll get as good of a line on the play as I can, whether that be a step or two down either base line on a play at first, but i'm not going to go sprinting across the field to "make it look like i'm giving an effort". we never have two umps, so most people in town don't even know what it's like to have two.

be guaranteed, if I showed up to umpire i'm making an effort.

and home plate is exactly two and a half steps away from the backstop. there's zero space.

BigSam

Addicted to Softballfans
Ball comes to me, runner tries to dodge the tag and I clearly hit him right in the chest.

Did this runner dodge towards home, between you and the ump? Because that happens quite a bit and it blocks the umps view no matter how close we are or how well we are positioned. For that matter, even if he dodged the other way that still can put the glove between the fielder and the runner.

Things that don't at all matter, in order of non-importance:

Everyone saw the tag
the runner admitted it
their 3rd base coach admitted it
their players on the bench said " ya he got him, but that's the call"

Umpiring isn't a trial, and it certainly isn't based on polling players coaches and fans. Sometimes, regardless of effort on our part, we won't be able to make a call correctly. This happens. Fight through it.

And for the record, I'm not saying that your ump wasn't lazy and/or bad. I'm just saying that sometimes skill and effort won't change that call.

dtrotd

Coach
Actually no he dodged toward left field!
The game is over and it is what it is
I didn't say it was a trial but if 50 people saw 1 thing and all agree
The one person on the field that can decide the outcome of the game, didn't because they didn't put themselves in a position to make a good call.

Where you're wrong is saying that skill and effort likely wouldn't change the call!

If the umpire had moved out from behind home plate (effort) he would've been in a position to make the right call. And because said umpire did not do these things he did not see what everyone else saw (skill)

Too many umpires think they are above the game. Yes I know they take a lot of abuse from players, but if you show effort there's less to complain about

" THATS THE CALL CAUSE THATS WHAT I SAW " really? Then what the hell were you looking at cause the other 50 people at the diamond saw it correctly!

Joker

The one person on the field that can decide the outcome of the game, didn't because they didn't put themselves in a position to make a good call.

Where you're wrong is saying that skill and effort likely wouldn't change the call!

If the umpire had moved out from behind home plate (effort) he would've been in a position to make the right call. And because said umpire did not do these things he did not see what everyone else saw (skill)

Too many umpires think they are above the game. Yes I know they take a lot of abuse from players, but if you show effort there's less to complain about

" THATS THE CALL CAUSE THATS WHAT I SAW " really? Then what the hell were you looking at cause the other 50 people at the diamond saw it correctly!

AXygnrz.jpg

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired

So let's see you step up and put on the blue uniform yourself. Don't like the problem? Become part of the solution.

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
So let's see you step up and put on the blue uniform yourself. Don't like the problem? Become part of the solution.

I don't like the problem, do you? The point he was making is that if the umpire did the job for which s/he is paid, s/he might have actually gained a better viewpoint of the play.

beernbombs

Abby's dad
Did this runner dodge towards home, between you and the ump? Because that happens quite a bit and it blocks the umps view no matter how close we are or how well we are positioned. For that matter, even if he dodged the other way that still can put the glove between the fielder and the runner.

Things that don't at all matter, in order of non-importance:

Umpiring isn't a trial, and it certainly isn't based on polling players coaches and fans. Sometimes, regardless of effort on our part, we won't be able to make a call correctly. This happens. Fight through it.

And for the record, I'm not saying that your ump wasn't lazy and/or bad. I'm just saying that sometimes skill and effort won't change that call.

You can hustle all you want in a one umpire system. Sometimes you get straight-lined on a play. It just doesn't matter if you're 30 feet closer. If you don't see a tag, you don't call an out. You don't wait to see how the base coach reacts. That's just ****ing stupid.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
I don't like the problem, do you? The point he was making is that if the umpire did the job for which s/he is paid, s/he might have actually gained a better viewpoint of the play.

Oh, absolutely. It's disgraceful. Even in the lowest level rec leagues, umpires should be making a solid effort to do their jobs right, every time.

But what I've noticed is that the reason so many of these umpires are calling ball is that there's no one better who will replace them. That's the root of the problem.