USSSA Umpires and Catchers placement behind the plate

I've been playing ASA for 12 years, never played in a USSSA league. I've watch a fair amount of Utrip game footage on youtube and noticed that the catchers stands behind the umpires. Why is that?

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
Most upper catchers will stand close to the full 10 feet behind the plate. I know I'm going to call a better zone if I'm not standing 13-14 feet behind the plate. Lower level leagues it's either because the catcher is afraid of the ball/batter, or they've been watching the upper players. But most lower level men's players are not that far from the plate. There also is no stealing in USSSA.

Most upper catchers will stand close to the full 10 feet behind the plate. I know I'm going to call a better zone if I'm not standing 13-14 feet behind the plate. Lower level leagues it's either because the catcher is afraid of the ball/batter, or they've been watching the upper players. But most lower level men's players are not that far from the plate. There also is no stealing in USSSA.

Still slightly confused. Why would an upper catcher want to stand 10 feet behind the plate?

As mentioned, I play in ASA local leagues and we stand in front of the umpires and actual crouch down to offer a good target. Why wouldn't every catcher in every league do that or something similar to that? Furthermore, I didn't think there was stealing in any slow pitch associations.

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
Still slightly confused. Why would an upper catcher want to stand 10 feet behind the plate?

As mentioned, I play in ASA local leagues and we stand in front of the umpires and actual crouch down to offer a good target. Why wouldn't every catcher in every league do that or something similar to that? Furthermore, I didn't think there was stealing in any slow pitch associations.

They wouldn't if there was stealing like in ASA ball. In U-trip they aren't catchers, but retrievers.

ASA originally instituted stealing at the Super and Major level for one reason, to speed up the game. At those levels, the catcher would just stand back there and if the ball didn't easily bounce to them, they would just wait for it to stop rolling and go pick it up. Remember, that position was often used to hide Bubba, the big guy who could hit it a mile, but couldn't field for ****. Cannot do that with stealing.

They wouldn't if there was stealing like in ASA ball. In U-trip they aren't catchers, but retrievers.

ASA originally instituted stealing at the Super and Major level for one reason, to speed up the game. At those levels, the catcher would just stand back there and if the ball didn't easily bounce to them, they would just wait for it to stop rolling and go pick it up. Remember, that position was often used to hide Bubba, the big guy who could hit it a mile, but couldn't field for ****. Cannot do that with stealing.

I had no idea you could steal in any slow pitch associations let alone ASA.