USSSA Unfairly delivered pitch.

bartxe

1st base coach
So last night I was given a warning for an unfairly delivered pitch (excessive speed). I was basically intentionally walking the batter after missing the strike zone on the first two pitches. I was told that if I had another unfairly delivered pitch, I would be tossed. Is this a "tossable" offense?

I do realize that there are better ways for me to handle that situation, like throw a strike...

ilyk2win

Addicted to Softballfans
I believe you are talking about 2 different things here (I easily could be wrong)

An unfairly delivered pitch is merely a ball (if the batter doesn't swing) and I don't think is ground for removal

An "excessive speed" warning though does carry a removal from the P position if it happens again after the warning

Joker

every pitch determined to have excessive speed is an unfairly delivered pitch, however, not every unfairly delivered pitch has excessive speed

tyrant

Addicted to Softballfans
I don't understand the excessive speed rule half the time it is called anyways. I got called out on that once and followed up with a few questions to the ump. Was I within 6 ft and inline with the rubber? Was the ball a legal height of over 3ft from release? Was the pitch a strike based on location? All were answered with a Yes.

If I am pitching within the rules allowed then how the hell can it be called too fast?

ser7643

Every day I'm Shuffilin!
I don't understand the excessive speed rule half the time it is called anyways. I got called out on that once and followed up with a few questions to the ump. Was I within 6 ft and inline with the rubber? Was the ball a legal height of over 3ft from release? Was the pitch a strike based on location? All were answered with a Yes.

If I am pitching within the rules allowed then how the hell can it be called too fast?

Because your number is upside down on your jersey and you drink too many beers to remember what actually happened. :bigok:

bartxe

1st base coach
The inning before this happened he called one of my pitches flat, I asked him a question about how my pitch was flat. I was not rude or ****y. He did not say a word to me, however he told my catcher that he wasn't even going to watch my next pitch, It was going to be a ball no matter what. Obviously I didn't know this until the inning was over. Next inning first two pitches were called balls, I didn't say anything, just pitched a "flat" ball on purpose, thats when he told me that it was unfairly delivered excessive speed and that if I did it again I was "outa here!". At this point I mentioned the comment he made to my catcher. He stuttered a little bit and then warned me again that another speed pitch would send me packing. I just smiled and pitched. I wasn't going to continue to feed into it. I'm a competitive guy, but I don't ever go out of my way to cause a problem with the umps, and this guy is usually a good guy. I must have shook my head one to many times.

ilyk2win

Addicted to Softballfans

I agree it sounds a little ridiculous, but in fairness that's your interpretation of how it went down.....what really matters is the umpire's.

The pitching rules clearly state underhanded at slow speed....clearly he didn't agree with the slow speed part of your pitch.

I rarely see P's get warned for this in USSSA though......ASA another story. When I first started playing USSSA, MD was the worst as it was closer to modified than slowpitch, so it's funny to hear this coming from MD :D

only the last pitch was an intentional ball. now I know to just throw a 25 footer

You don't have to throw a pitch at all....and that's probably the best way to go about it.