USSSA Unsanctioned Bat Challenge

LoudMouf

Starting Player
Just curious what the procedure is for players found to be using home run derby non-sanctioned bats in games. I caught two players with ineligible bats while batting what is the umps normal procedure.

ureout

The Veteran
it depends on if this is a league or a tournament.....in both cases player is ejected from the game and if it is a tournament he is out for the remainder of games in the tour. league rules sometime ban a player for the remainder of a season

MaverickAH

If caught with an illegal bat prior to hitting the ball, I believe that the bat is just removed from play. If discovered after hitting the ball & before the next pitch, the batter is declared out. If discovered using a bat that has already been removed from play, the player is declared out & ejected from play.

If you're talking about your local league, I would caution you to check to see what they allow as far as bat go. Do they go by the book or do the have their own rules? I know that the USSSA Rule Book contains a caveat for league play with allows them to make alterations.

ureout

The Veteran
If caught with an illegal bat prior to hitting the ball, I believe that the bat is just removed from play. If discovered after hitting the ball & before the next pitch, the batter is declared out. If discovered using a bat that has already been removed from play, the player is declared out & ejected from play.

Mav...you are correct the bat is removed and replaced if it is found before a hit....but if the batter hits the ball and then it it discovered by umpire or an appeal before next pitch batter is out and ejected from the game/tournament and is also reported to the state director for consideration of disbarment

FatBoy28

SBF is a cruel Mistress
In ASA you just have to be caught in the batter's box with it.

Rule 7; Section 6. THE BATTER IS OUT.

B. When a batter enters the batter’s box with or is discovered using an altered or non-approved bat.
EFFECT: The batter shall be ejected from the game, and if in a tournament, shall be ejected for the remainder of the tournament.

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans

Mav...you are correct the bat is removed and replaced if it is found before a hit....but if the batter hits the ball and then it it discovered by umpire or an appeal before next pitch batter is out and ejected from the game/tournament and is also reported to the state director for consideration of disbarment

This would be correct if the bat were altered. If the bat is non-approved then it would only be an out and removal of the bat from the game, if the bat comes back into the game it is an out, ejection and probable one year suspension.

Rule 7.2.B effect lists altered bat but makes no mention of illegal bat.

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
Does the team have to protest or is it on the umpire to watch for illegal bats?

Both, I generally know what is and isn't legal just by glancing at it. However I have missed a couple this year and had them pointed out by the defense, usually the pitcher. Any bat I don't recall seeing before that I see in the dugout I generally look at it between innings.