Usssa Mens E Defense Setup

Speedy07

Making this post for advice when it comes to setting up a defense in men’s E in Usssa. Should the 5 man be playing to the left side, or switch it up and have the 5 man on the right side.

Also, in States men’s E, after the first home run, if you hit another, it is inning over. You think having the OF’s play shallow after the opposing team already hit there home run and have them all shade to the right would be beneficial?

scottydoesnt

Extra Hitter
The pitcher dictates where the middle infielder plays. Generally a pitcher will try to fill a gap after the pitch is thrown, so he should direct the infielders where they should be. It is also based on where he is pitching to certain batters. Is he pitching inside to try and get the hitter to pull it, or pitch outside for the opposite.
As for outfield myself, I've never been a fan on playing in. A single if it drops in front of an outfielder is really not a big deal. Anything that gets by the outfielders, or over their heads in extra bases. Singles into doubles, doubles into triples.

blakcherry329

There's no "one size fits all" when it comes to defense on any level. Each team, each batter has different tendencies. You have to take away tendencies as best you can. Don't overthink it.
The pitcher can try to dictate where batters will hit, but it's slow pitch. Batter's boxes are almost never enforced so pitching in and out is less effective than it should be.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
At the end if the day, it's underhanded and nothing is a lock down for everyone. You have to be able to hit with the other team if they're on.

it's all about what gives you the best chance. Yes, once hrs are up the of should come in some, but not so much the gaps are wide open. In utrip there's no courtesy fouls, so they should be a little more off the line as well.

if you have a ss with range, I'd do what you're saying even before they hit the hr. If they turn on it and blow it out early all the better. I also love to pitch to the outside corner. You also need a good rf for this approach.

playing to your team's strengths is more important than one basic formula though.

basilray

Pitcher and/or manager make that determination, hopefully w/ input from anyone else who knows a hitter's tendencies or where they need to be for a certain scenario.

Aside from the occasional tournament, I play 95% UTrip. I try and keep the ball high and in, as it tends to lead to more pop-ups and/or playable balls. If I miss in, no worries...it's probably not coming back at my face and it isn't getting to a gap in RF if they stick it. When I know a hitter is starting to get a feel for where I'm going w/ the ball, I may try and start hanging the outside corner a bit more, especially on hard pull hitters, but I try and signal to my RF and 2B letting them know to be ready. Variety is a weapon, but it's knowing how/when to maximize it that makes it the most effective.

Of course, there's still the human element, so it's not an exact science, especially at lower levels as guys don't have the control.