USSSA's Answer to New Bat Standards Announcement

DSS32

Manager
Dont worry you can swing it all you want in BP if they follow through with what they say they are going to do.

p17

SBFs 16th all time poster
so the wse i just bought that i wont even be able to swing until next spring will be banned in two years?? that would be real ghey

Two years is a long time, and your local league rules will still supercede any association rules. Who knows what your local league(s) will do

R. Boogie

Addicted to Softballfans
i guess only time will clarify these issues. For one, I'll wait and use what I have. If nothing changes in a few years, I'll get another bat and lament that it won't get as "hot" as my old one. Then I will have stories to tell the younger players about a time when the real bats used to make us more godlike with our mammoth homeruns.

hwood

RESIDENT STUD
no you'll sit back and take it like everyone else because its the players fault. all those assfaces out there that cheat and everyone else who looked the other way. light **** on fire on their doorsteps

so you dont think people will find a way to alter the new 2013 bats?

hwood

RESIDENT STUD
no, i was just asking a general question.....if they are not making tamper proof caps...what is the point of this....just looking for an explanation

VF500Racer

Addicted to Softballfans
Don't worry, Joker can't think that far ahead. ;)
He is just lurking on SBF for recriminations and more accusations :D

Joker = Official SBF Chief "Roast"er
(he doesn't crack any jokes so no "Jester" title) :D

worthjunkie

Addicted to Softballfans
I play in a (asa) league in southern md that allows any usssa bats we dropped to the 52/275 trump ball which isn't as bad as people say if u can hit the ball

Shocka Zulu

Addicted to Softballfans
What I don't understand is that the classic + was claimed to have been developed to mitigate the advantages that shaved bats would produce. If this is so, then why are these extreme measures being taken in changing the bat standards?

Joker

no, i was just asking a general question.....if they are not making tamper proof caps...what is the point of this....just looking for an explanation

how do you know they aren't going to require tamper proof caps in USSSA? all this release says is that they are going to change the testing soon and require a new stamp. they have not said PUBLICLY what the changes are going to be yet. i've had to repeat this many many times already. its not that hard to understand

trick

OG Firebug
how do you know they aren't going to require tamper proof caps in USSSA? all this release says is that they are going to change the testing soon and require a new stamp. they have not said PUBLICLY what the changes are going to be yet. i've had to repeat this many many times already. its not that hard to understand

Am i reading this right, that bats will require a new stamp?

chillywilly777

Addicted to Softballfans
What a drag. Now I have to pay $250 for a new bat with the stamp and then the additional money to have it shaved.

hwood

RESIDENT STUD

Believe me i understand....and i am not begging you to repost and answer so stop getting all wa wa wa about it, your just one of those people who speaks to hear their own voice.

tnacty

Director
A couple of things. The new ball was NOT developed to mitigate the performance of altered bats so much as it was developed to play closer to it's true COR and compression in most weather conditions. To that end, the + seems to be a winner. It wasn't an absolute sock this summer and in our last months of the Colorado season it wasn't an absolute rock either. At least that was my experience with the Baden we used here.

As for the bats....you're not going to get a complete answer from any of us till the convention in two weeks. As with most things involving bats, balls and USSSA, they don't tell the State Directors what's up or ask for our input....but they make themselves very available come the convention for Q&A. Common sense tells me that they've had discussions with the manufacturers and that tamper proof technology is viable and affordable or they wouldn't have rolled out the press release.

That said, I've seen stranger things, like changing ball standards three times in three years and I wouldn't be screaming about the sky falling just yet. Things may come to fruition as written. Things may get significantly modified or only minorly tweaked in the next two years...but either way, two years is a long way off and I'm of the opinion that two years is more than enough time to make a transition.

My only questions really are what technology is coming to allow for performance oriented bats that can't be altered and what it's going to do to new bat sales in the next year as you're out of your mind to purchase any new sticks in the near future. That's why I say the bat companies have to be on board. USSSA doesn't make a move like this that could significantly effect partner corporations bottom lines now without knowing it can work in the future.

I'm sure somebody will have more to say on it once we gather in Daytona two weeks from now and get something more substantial from the people in charge but for now it's really just chicken little talk. If somebody doesn't get the gist of the discussion out to you when we meet, I promise I will.

S

hookumsnivy

Addicted to Softballfans
A couple of things. The new ball was NOT developed to mitigate the performance of altered bats so much as it was developed to play closer to it's true COR and compression in most weather conditions. To that end, the + seems to be a winner. It wasn't an absolute sock this summer and in our last months of the Colorado season it wasn't an absolute rock either. At least that was my experience with the Baden we used here.

As for the bats....you're not going to get a complete answer from any of us till the convention in two weeks. As with most things involving bats, balls and USSSA, they don't tell the State Directors what's up or ask for our input....but they make themselves very available come the convention for Q&A. Common sense tells me that they've had discussions with the manufacturers and that tamper proof technology is viable and affordable or they wouldn't have rolled out the press release.

That said, I've seen stranger things, like changing ball standards three times in three years and I wouldn't be screaming about the sky falling just yet. Things may come to fruition as written. Things may get significantly modified or only minorly tweaked in the next two years...but either way, two years is a long way off and I'm of the opinion that two years is more than enough time to make a transition.

My only questions really are what technology is coming to allow for performance oriented bats that can't be altered and what it's going to do to new bat sales in the next year as you're out of your mind to purchase any new sticks in the near future. That's why I say the bat companies have to be on board. USSSA doesn't make a move like this that could significantly effect partner corporations bottom lines now without knowing it can work in the future.

I'm sure somebody will have more to say on it once we gather in Daytona two weeks from now and get something more substantial from the people in charge but for now it's really just chicken little talk. If somebody doesn't get the gist of the discussion out to you when we meet, I promise I will.

S

Look, I don't think anyone (except the cheaters) has a problem with what they are trying to do. How they appear to be going about it is what people are complaining about.
I'm guessing, but your typical league player probably has between 0-2 legal bats. Chances are that within the next 2 years they will break. So it doesn't affect them too much. But what about the guys that have more. I personally have 4 usssa bats. I would be surprised if I broke even 2 of them
before they are outlawed under the proposed announcement. But you have guys that have dozens of bats. 2 guys on this board come to mind immediately: Murda7 and HebrewHacker - their collections are worth as much as a car (counting ASA bats, it would be a REALLY nice car). In 2 years, they will be worthless because like you said in another thread, the smaller associations are likely going to have to follow usssa down this path because they don't they don't have enough clout to get bat manufacturers to make bats at 3 different standards. Now those 2 guys are extreme examples, but lots of people on this website have more bats than I would know what to do with, and they are going to have a lot of BP only bats come 2013. That's what has people upset.

Again, I'm all for solving the shaved bat problem but this seems a little rash. And what guarantees do we have that this will even solve the problem? We all saw how well the Easton reveal line prevented rolling and shaving:rolleyes:. If it doesn't work, what do you say to the guys that lost a bundle with the old bats? If it doesn't work, the only people that stand to gain are the bat manufacturers because EVERYONE will have to buy new bats to play.

eHall

Base burglar
Look, I don't think anyone (except the cheaters) has a problem with what they are trying to do. How they appear to be going about it is what people are complaining about.
I'm guessing, but your typical league player probably has between 0-2 legal bats. Chances are that within the next 2 years they will break. So it doesn't affect them too much. But what about the guys that have more. I personally have 4 usssa bats. I would be surprised if I broke even 2 of them
before they are outlawed under the proposed announcement. But you have guys that have dozens of bats. 2 guys on this board come to mind immediately: Murda7 and HebrewHacker - their collections are worth as much as a car (counting ASA bats, it would be a REALLY nice car). In 2 years, they will be worthless because like you said in another thread, the smaller associations are likely going to have to follow usssa down this path because they don't they don't have enough clout to get bat manufacturers to make bats at 3 different standards. Now those 2 guys are extreme examples, but lots of people on this website have more bats than I would know what to do with, and they are going to have a lot of BP only bats come 2013. That's what has people upset.

Again, I'm all for solving the shaved bat problem but this seems a little rash. And what guarantees do we have that this will even solve the problem? We all saw how well the Easton reveal line prevented rolling and shaving:rolleyes:. If it doesn't work, what do you say to the guys that lost a bundle with the old bats? If it doesn't work, the only people that stand to gain are the bat manufacturers because EVERYONE will have to buy new bats to play.

They are giving you two years notice on a rule change. Most players will buy/sell/break 4 or 5 bats in that time. Utrip isnt responsible for the guys that hoard/collect bats as an investment or hobby. Those guys have two years to unload their collections, thats plenty of time.

Two years is an eternity when it comes to law/rule changes. The government rarely gives two years notice when it comes to law changes.

Part of the reason for giving this notice is to allow bat manufacturers to sell existing inventory and produce models that comply with the new standard. I am sure the manufacturers had some input on this whole process. Utrip went to them and said "here is what we want to do and here is our timeline, is it feasible?" I would assume the manufacturers said yes or else there would not have been a public announcement regarding the change.

hookumsnivy

Addicted to Softballfans
They are giving you two years notice on a rule change. Most players will buy/sell/break 4 or 5 bats in that time. Utrip isnt responsible for the guys that hoard/collect bats as an investment or hobby. Those guys have two years to unload their collections, thats plenty of time.

Two years is an eternity when it comes to law/rule changes. The government rarely gives two years notice when it comes to law changes.

Part of the reason for giving this notice is to allow bat manufacturers to sell existing inventory and produce models that comply with the new standard. I am sure the manufacturers had some input on this whole process. Utrip went to them and said "here is what we want to do and here is our timeline, is it feasible?" I would assume the manufacturers said yes or else there would not have been a public announcement regarding the change.

Unless you take advantage of someone on ebay, it will be harder to sell usssa bats because most people on this site (where most people buy/sell/trade said bats) are already aware of the rule changes.
I've been playing regularly since 2004 and I've only broken 2 composite bats (I went through a few metals of course). I recently picked up an SCX23 ri before the rule change, and with how durable those things are, it would last me at least 4 years. The problem is that those bats are completely useless starting in 2013 - they either become BP only, or they go to the landfill. When ASA made the rule change, they didn't outlaw ALL bats, only a select few.

You mentioned the manufacturers had to sign off on this, but they would be INSANE not to. Everyone who plays USSSA, which according to tnacty in another thread is over 70,000 teams, has to BUY new bats. Lets say there are 12 guys per team and the average player has 2 bats - that's a minimum of
1.68 million new bat sales in the first year. I'm guessing that's not counting the countless unsanctioned leagues that follow the USSSA rules.

philphan89

Addicted to Softballfans
Unless you take advantage of someone on ebay, it will be harder to sell usssa bats because most people on this site (where most people buy/sell/trade said bats) are already aware of the rule changes.
I've been playing regularly since 2004 and I've only broken 2 composite bats (I went through a few metals of course). I recently picked up an SCX23 ri before the rule change, and with how durable those things are, it would last me at least 4 years. The problem is that those bats are completely useless starting in 2013 - they either become BP only, or they go to the landfill. When ASA made the rule change, they didn't outlaw ALL bats, only a select few.

You mentioned the manufacturers had to sign off on this, but they would be INSANE not to. Everyone who plays USSSA, which according to tnacty in another thread is over 70,000 teams, has to BUY new bats. Lets say there are 12 guys per team and the average player has 2 bats - that's a minimum of
1.68 million new bat sales in the first year. I'm guessing that's not counting the countless unsanctioned leagues that follow the USSSA rules.

average player has two bats? what team do you play on haha