Utrip Indoor Questions?

rmarsh

Addicted to Softballfans
A buddy invited me to join an Indoor Utrip Tournament here in PA. I have only played ASA and know these rules and standards pretty well. A few questions I have are....

What are some major differences I need to know between Utrip and ASA? i.e. running, pitching, hitting, and of course rule differences. Is there advice on something’s to look for when playing against other teams? i.e. tricks or weird rules that may not be known too well?

Between the 2 of us we have some bats with UTrip stamps, so as far as equipment I will be fine.

The other question is to anyone who has played indoor...What are some rules and play styles we need to look for or use while playing indoor compared to outside?

Thanks for any help

MarlSrSoftball

Into Semi-Retirement Still activebut not League
First thing is what ball are they using. That determines the answer to most of your questions.

I play indoors and basically the only difference is you are playing with a ceiling indoors which means you have to be a line drive hitter.

If it's the place my buddy plays at up in PA then the most important thing I can tell you is to keep your head on a swivel. Not much room around the "field" and balls fly in and riccochet all over the place.

saint

Voted '15 Mod of the Year
in ASA ball comes in a tad higher arc, so take a small step forward. That's all I'd change.

Last edited:

crf158

Benchwarmer
A buddy invited me to join an Indoor Utrip Tournament here in PA. I have only played ASA and know these rules and standards pretty well. A few questions I have are....

What are some major differences I need to know between Utrip and ASA? i.e. running, pitching, hitting, and of course rule differences. Is there advice on something’s to look for when playing against other teams? i.e. tricks or weird rules that may not be known too well?

Between the 2 of us we have some bats with UTrip stamps, so as far as equipment I will be fine.

The other question is to anyone who has played indoor...What are some rules and play styles we need to look for or use while playing indoor compared to outside?

Thanks for any help

These tourneys are 1 pitch Utrip with no pump fakes. Like Brando said, be alert all the time even when watching games. Play 5-man in there, almost all the outs come from ground balls and forcing runners out from the OF. The bases are very long so that teams can actually get some outs.

rmarsh

Addicted to Softballfans
First thing is what ball are they using. That determines the answer to most of your questions.

I play indoors and basically the only difference is you are playing with a ceiling indoors which means you have to be a line drive hitter.

Not sure I will know this till I get there. I unerstand balls fly different but how does this differ on how the game is played? i mean we arent using launch 650s so i dont see there being that big of a difference...Just pay anttention.;)

rmarsh

Addicted to Softballfans
If it's the place my buddy plays at up in PA then the most important thing I can tell you is to keep your head on a swivel. Not much room around the "field" and balls fly in and riccochet all over the place.

I think this is going to be the biggest change that I am worried about. Not that I dont pay attention. Its more not being used to different angles the ball maybe coming from. Thanks for the heads up.

PPC#12

Manager
You talking about Saturday in palmyra?? I'll be there. Get ready, it's dangerous. Saw a runner last year get hit with a laser. Put him on the ground for a half hour spitting/throwing up blood and left in and ambulance with a bruised lung and I think a broken rib.. So, it's pretty fun..

rmarsh

Addicted to Softballfans
You talking about Saturday in palmyra?? I'll be there. Get ready, it's dangerous. Saw a runner last year get hit with a laser. Put him on the ground for a half hour spitting/throwing up blood and left in and ambulance with a bruised lung and I think a broken rib.. So, it's pretty fun..

Yep thats the place, I will be there 25th. Were supposed to be there on the 4th but had some miscommunication with the director I guess. All fun and games till someone gets hurt.....then its just FUN.

What balls are the hitting down there?

PPC#12

Manager
I don't actually remember. I didn't play in the first one this year and I can't remember from last year. I would hope just a hot dot classic plus or something 52/275. I can't imagine they would use a 44/375 in there. It's bad enough as it is. They should be using bean bags

MarlSrSoftball

Not sure I will know this till I get there. I unerstand balls fly different but how does this differ on how the game is played? i mean we arent using launch 650s so i dont see there being that big of a difference...Just pay anttention.;)

There are 3 things that determine how you play the game.

1. The ball.
2. The height of the ceiling. If a low ceiling like our facility (I think it is 60') you need to hit line drives. The higher the ceiling the normal you can hit.

3. Lighting. We don't have very good lights and with windows on the opposite wall it is tough to pick up the pitch all the way in so you need a short stroke on your swing.

It will take a game or two determine which is the best approach. Defensively there is no difference how you play the game with the determining factor being the rules you have for the ceiling. Some have the rule you can catch it off the ceiling and some don't.

PPC#12

Manager
There is a low ceiling where you will be playing with all sorts of metal rafters and supports. You are allowed to play the ball of the ceiling. Lighting is terrible there btw too and it's two fields side by side with a net in between

MarlSrSoftball

There is a low ceiling where you will be playing with all sorts of metal rafters and supports. You are allowed to play the ball of the ceiling. Lighting is terrible there btw too and it's two fields side by side with a net in between

Then you got to become a line drive hitter. Also wearing yellow tinted glass helps a lot.

Naugle40

Addicted to Softballfans
It's not bad there but you can count on seeing some shady calls. I emailed the director 7 times and called him 5 times to get in January 25, only to have him email me Monday telling me it was full. I cant understand how hard it is to answer a phone call or email weeks before sending me one back.

Good luck. You will play against some pretty stout teams.

rmarsh

Addicted to Softballfans
It's not bad there but you can count on seeing some shady calls. I emailed the director 7 times and called him 5 times to get in January 25, only to have him email me Monday telling me it was full. I cant understand how hard it is to answer a phone call or email weeks before sending me one back.

Good luck. You will play against some pretty stout teams.

Yeah I have been beat by some of the best around here, cant be any worse. LOL Anyways, we contacted him back in Oct. to be put on the list for the 4th and he tells us a week before that it is full and we are on the 25th. (PRICk) oh well only thing we got around here simi close that is during the winter.

You dont play for MASsEYS do you? I play on VFW and a couple of others...

crf158

Benchwarmer
I don't actually remember. I didn't play in the first one this year and I can't remember from last year. I would hope just a hot dot classic plus or something 52/275. I can't imagine they would use a 44/375 in there. It's bad enough as it is. They should be using bean bags

Crf might be able to answer for you if he checks back in here

First week was classic M and switched to classic+ mid tournament
Second week was classic+

I suspect that you will hit the classic+

First time ever going up there this Saturday is the building cold? or do they do a good job of keeping it decent? I only ask cause Im not even going to bring my cl22 if its a cold building I'll just bring my 27oz L1 tank...lol

Naugle40

Addicted to Softballfans
It's cold, unless you play 3rd on one field and 1st on the other, then your good.....people swing brand new bats down there. I'm swinging my cl22 or niw L2 when we go down this year.

crf158

Benchwarmer
First time ever going up there this Saturday is the building cold? or do they do a good job of keeping it decent? I only ask cause Im not even going to bring my cl22 if its a cold building I'll just bring my 27oz L1 tank...lol

I am swinging metal i think... we will see how it goes. Good luck this weekend!

It's cold, unless you play 3rd on one field and 1st on the other, then your good.....people swing brand new bats down there. I'm swinging my cl22 or niw L2 when we go down this year.

Swing away with your regular sticks. In the past 6-7 years nobody on my teams have broken a bat in there. Temps depend on the temp outside, but it really isn't that cold.

smokeum99ta

Addicted to Softballfans
Two weeks ago it was 2* outside. And pretty cold on the field as well.
Best advice I give everybody is not to run around after the ball while it's in the rafters. Let it come down and then go get it.

rmarsh

Addicted to Softballfans
Considering its overnight and the temps you are talking about, I am gonna dress warm. How many teams usually are in it for the night? How long are you usually waiting inbetween games?

Thanks for the rafter advice, I hear thats where alot of the hits go.

PPC#12

Manager
Yeah it's definitely better to wait for it to come down so you don't look like an idiot trying to follow it. Lol. As far as temps it's no too bad but it isn't warm by any means unless it's warm outside. First game is 11:45 for me. Last time I played there it was from 8-8 and we had a 4 hour wait in there and ended up not having time to play the championship game which was lame. Had to split the half a** prize with the other team which was like $100 off your next time playing there. It's a rip off bit when guys are itching to play I guess it's worth it...

Naugle40

Addicted to Softballfans
Yeah it's definitely better to wait for it to come down so you don't look like an idiot trying to follow it. Lol. As far as temps it's no too bad but it isn't warm by any means unless it's warm outside. First game is 11:45 for me. Last time I played there it was from 8-8 and we had a 4 hour wait in there and ended up not having time to play the championship game which was lame. Had to split the half a** prize with the other team which was like $100 off your next time playing there. It's a rip off bit when guys are itching to play I guess it's worth it...

That's the problem. For the amount of money that you pay to play, you get nothin in return.