Utrip/NSA Bats allowed in ASA?

erickristy

Addicted to Softballfans
Last season our Church league allowed NSA/Utrip bats to be used, but we were an ASA League. They said the bat rule had changed. We will be playing some ASA tournaments this year and I was wondering if this was a rule for tournaments as well, and if so what is it exactly? I do not want to get in trouble for swinging an illegal bat....thanks

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
The rule did not change. If the bat was made on or after the year 2000, it must have either a 2000, 2004, or 2013 ASA stamp on it, and must not appear on the Non-Approved Bat List.

Local leagues are free to change the rules as they see fit, but anything that has National implications must follow the regular ASA rules.

jcmichaels42

Addicted to Softballfans
Last season our Church league allowed NSA/Utrip bats to be used, but we were an ASA League. They said the bat rule had changed. We will be playing some ASA tournaments this year and I was wondering if this was a rule for tournaments as well, and if so what is it exactly? I do not want to get in trouble for swinging an illegal bat....thanks

Our league has done the same for 4-5 years now since the .52 ball came to prominence. Only thing that sucks is if you get used to swinging a Utrip and play ASA tournament ball or go to States, you can't swing them in those tournies.

I usually hang onto a Utrip stick or 2 and maybe a few dual stamps...then the rest are ASA.

Tictac020

Addicted to BP
We have local ASA tournies, and they allow us to swing our U-trip bats, as long as they passed compression....so last year my flipper AM passed compression, my 100h, and my combat and newer dc41 at the time....my red knob dc41's didn't pass compression or my freak 12....so they weren't allowed in the ASA tourney....just because it is technically asa sanctioned, doesn't mean the local LD, or fields won't allow U-TRIP sticks....its under their discretion....

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
We have local ASA tournies, and they allow us to swing our U-trip bats, as long as they passed compression....so last year my flipper AM passed compression, my 100h, and my combat and newer dc41 at the time....my red knob dc41's didn't pass compression or my freak 12....so they weren't allowed in the ASA tourney....just because it is technically asa sanctioned, doesn't mean the local LD, or fields won't allow U-TRIP sticks....its under their discretion....

Again, provided that the particular tournament in question doesn't have National Championship implications. If it's a National Championship qualifier (such as an actual State or Regional), then this wouldn't be allowed.

jcmichaels42

Addicted to Softballfans
Again, provided that the particular tournament in question doesn't have National Championship implications. If it's a National Championship qualifier (such as an actual State or Regional), then this wouldn't be allowed.

Right, when we play our State qualifier it's ASA only, so I tend to start swinging my ASA stick of choice in the few games leading up to that.

Tictac020

Addicted to BP

Yes exactly!!! I wasn't saying u can just swing any bat in an ASA only tourney...or an ASA state tourney and such....we had quite a few ASA tourneys around us and they would let u swing a NSA stick because they feel ASA bats are hotter....which I honestly don't notice too much of a difference between my bats...

pbsoftball

Manager
I guess in Missouri we do whatever we want because we have swung nothing but utrip bats at asa state for the past 4 years now. That might have alot to do with the fact that we are mostly a utrip and nsa state so to get the teams to play asa they let us swing what we want.