verbal interference from runner/dugout

swampdonkey1

Star Player
Please help point me to a rule in an ASA rulebook if there is one, but the situation came up on a flyball to the the pitcher. The runner on 2nd yelled, ''i got it'' and the fielders all backed away and the ball fell uncaught. Does this fall under unsportsmanlike conduct, result in a warning and the batter becomes an out if it happens a 2nd time? Would the runner who yelled be thrown out?
Is the call any different if the batting team dugout or crowd would yell the same?
Thanks,

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
By rule, I’d have a dead ball, runner on 2nd is out, and if it was a routine fly ball, if also have the batter-runner out. Might even have an ejection for unsportsmanlike conduct.

If it had come from the bench, it’d be the exact same call, except the runner on base being called out would be the one closest to home.

swampdonkey1

Star Player
i greatly appreciate your help! I'm glad you're around to give clear and accurate answers! Would i find this in a rulebook, or what general rule would i reference? Just lump it into unsportsmanlike conduct?

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
I’d have to find my book, but the first part of my answer is 8-7-J, and the second part is somewhere around 8-7-P.