Vertical Crack on Easton Synergy SCX2

jo3r055

Hi everyone,

I'm new here so I hope I'm posting this in the right place and I hope this question hasn't been asked and answered a million times.

I think my new (Thrifted) Easton Synergy SCX2 bat has vertical cracks, though I'm not sure if they're vertical hairlines or spiderweb cracks. There's also a thicker diagonal crack that spirals down from right about the sweet spot to the end of the barrel.

Honestly I'm a little concerned to start using it. Looks like it's clear of major damage and any dents. Still has the ping so it's not dead yet. Just wondering if I should be concerned about this stuff. Here's a photo gallery:

Starting with two examples of the long hairline cracks above and below the "composite design"
[GALLERY=media, 27929]IMG_5706 by jo3r055 posted Jul 29, 2017 at 9:12 PM[/GALLERY]

Close up
[GALLERY=media, 27930]IMG_5707 by jo3r055 posted Jul 29, 2017 at 9:13 PM[/GALLERY]

And the beginning of the diagonal crack...
[GALLERY=media, 27931]IMG_5677 by jo3r055 posted Jul 29, 2017 at 9:14 PM[/GALLERY]

...which winds all the way down to the end of the bat
[GALLERY=media, 27932]IMG_5680 by jo3r055 posted Jul 29, 2017 at 9:15 PM[/GALLERY]

Does it look like it's at risk of breaking? Would it be dangerous to use if it is at risk of breaking?

I found it at a local thrift shop for $3 so I'm excited to use it but pretty cautious since I don't know how it was treated by the previous owner or how much they used it.

Any help would be great! Thanks in advance

-Joe

Jusrah99

Outstanding Bad Mudasuka!
The first couple of pics look like webbing, not too concerning..

The next 2 looks like it could be the start of the end if the paint is starting to lift. I would swing til she blows though...

///////////////
swing away! looks like normal wear and tear. 1 and 2 are webbing, 3 and 4 look like deep paint scratches

jo3r055

swing away! looks like normal wear and tear. 1 and 2 are webbing, 3 and 4 look like deep paint scratches

Great, Thanks a lot!

So, would you say it's hot? Does it seem on the verge of breaking or is there no way to tell?

And would this kind of wear get the bat tossed if it was seen?

///////////////
Only way to tell if its hot is to hit it. Whatever league allows that bat probably wouldn't even check bats because its an old stamp bat. But that type of wear looks totally cosmetic

jo3r055

Only way to tell if its hot is to hit it. Whatever league allows that bat probably wouldn't even check bats because its an old stamp bat. But that type of wear looks totally cosmetic

Awesome, sounds great. Thanks a lot!