ASA Walking lady batter with 2 outs

PCMAY

Starting Player
Last night i was watching a game (ASA Co-ed) in which the defensive team walked a guy with two outs. When a lady came to the plate next, the ump instructed her to take 1st base which she did without question.

The reason I inquire is because in a different game, same league, different ump, but similar circumstance a lady on our team stepped into the batter's box but had not taken a pitch. We realized the situation and told the ump we wanted her to be walked, but the ump said it was too late because the batter had already entered the batter's box.

So this begs several questions:

1) One is the umpire supposed to tell the lady to take her base?
2) My understanding is that's it is an election but ... is the ump supposed to tell you your options unsolicited?
3) Or, is it the batting team supposed to be aware of the situation and tell their batter if they want her to take her base?

Thanks for your responses.

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
Last night i was watching a game (ASA Co-ed) in which the defensive team walked a guy with two outs. When a lady came to the plate next, the ump instructed her to take 1st base which she did without question.

The reason I inquire is because in a different game, same league, different ump, but similar circumstance a lady on our team stepped into the batter's box but had not taken a pitch. We realized the situation and told the ump we wanted her to be walked, but the ump said it was too late because the batter had already entered the batter's box.

So this begs several questions:

1) One is the umpire supposed to tell the lady to take her base?
2) My understanding is that's it is an election but ... is the ump supposed to tell you your options unsolicited?
3) Or, is it the batting team supposed to be aware of the situation and tell their batter if they want her to take her base?

Thanks for your responses.

The umpire was wrong in TELLING a player to take the walk. The umpire was wrong in denying the player the opportunity to take 1B. And yes, it is the team's responsibility to know the situation and tell the umpire what their option is

BigSam

Addicted to Softballfans
Lady's choice. If she doesn't know her option to walk or hit and asks me, I tell her she can walk or hit. Otherwise she can do as she wishes.

As far as what the dugout thinks or is telling the player, as long as I get a batter in a reasonable amount of time to keep the game moving, none of my business.