Walks vs Errors...which hurts worse?

What is more hurtful to the defensive team: Walks or Errors?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
A couple of years ago we discussed a team walk problem. We found our opponents had an over 80% scoring rate for the hitters that were walked. This was probably over a 10-15 game sample size.
I'd be willing to guess the batter scoring rate on an error is a little lower, but errors can come with additional consequences such as other baserunners moving up and base awards.
To me, errors should happen a much lower rate than walks, so each individual event probably "hurts" more, but it can widely vary.

bbaum17

Starting Player
In my experience both are equally costly. Where one may be worse then the other all comes down to what situation you are in at that time. While a walk may only give up a base at first, an error in the outfield could allow him to advance an extra base to third or even home. Same thing happens if you switch the two. An error may allow a runner on, but if the pitcher lets that get to him then a walk advances the runner and you allow a second runner on. What I feel is the most harmful is how quickly the team recognizes someone is struggling and can correct it before it does any harm. One walk or error wont kill you, but if someone makes 5-6 then you waited too long to make an adjustment.

vlcmstnaz

volcom stone az
Errors can kill a team. It can affect all aspects of play (offense and defense). Plus, errors often eliminate force plays and double play opportunities. A walk will always make way for a double opportunity.

Errors are far worse than walks (IMO).

Paulypal

Addicted to Softballfans
If you assume that all errors are one base errors then you can say that maybe they are equal given the same amount, but all errors are not one base errors.

A dropped or misplayed fly ball that has the batter on third is much worse than a walk.

The other side of the coin is how many walks lead to errors? If a pitcher cant throw strikes he tends to lose his defense behind him which leads to errors. No way of quantifying that but it happens.

I have go with errors being a bigger detriment to a team.

vlcmstnaz

volcom stone az
While I see your point, given any AB, I have to choose ERROR or WALK, I'll choose WALK. A walk will never result in more than 1 base per runner and does not allow runners who are not forced to to advance.

vlcmstnaz

volcom stone az
While an error can have the same result as a walk, an error is often more detrimental than a walk in terms of runner advancement. That is never true for a walk. Add to that the impact of an error on that players confidence, the confidence of the team, momentum lost, etc., errors kill teams.

bbaum17

Starting Player
While I see your point, given any AB, I have to choose ERROR or WALK, I'll choose WALK. A walk will never result in more than 1 base per runner and does not allow runners who are not forced to to advance.

Just for arguments sake, back to back walks in coed can lead to a run with the automatic base given to the girls. But once again, all situational and equally damaging.

vlcmstnaz

volcom stone az
Just for arguments sake, back to back walks in coed can lead to a run with the automatic base given to the girls. But once again, all situational and equally damaging.
Who plays coed? Do they even keep score? Count outs?

Is the discussion about coed? If so, I missed that.

vlcmstnaz

volcom stone az
Meh. Coed doesn't count. Are we counting tee ball too? I assumed we were talking about a competitive game where you keep score. I can't take coed seriously.

Paulypal

Addicted to Softballfans
My point is that its all situational.

Still not sure why its situational.

An error will be at least as detrimental as a walk in a given situation. I say at least because a walk is one base all the time (not counting ridiculous 2 base walk rule in co-ed), and an error as we know is not

Last edited:

Joker

if you walk the leadoff hitter or the 2b makes an error letting the leadoff hitter on, they are equal.

if you walk a guy who is 4-4 with 2 doubles and 2 HRs in the bottom of the last with 2 outs and down by 1 or commit an error that allows the runners on 2nd and 3rd to score with no outs and down by 1 in the bottom of the last, they are not equal

this is why the question is dependent on the situation
read

LngBallLvr

Addicted to Softballfans
In general, there are more situations where an error will hurt a team more than a walk. Walks are always 1 base for the batter for that play. Errors often result in multiple bases for the batter on any given play.

bbaum17

Starting Player
Or... runner on second, best hitter who is that 4-4 with 2 hr's on deck. Batter hits a single and a throwing error allows the runner to score, batter advances to second on the throw. You can now walk the best hitter to still have a shot at a double play. Only gave up 1 run.

Same situation but if you walk that hitter, you now have guys say on 1st and 2nd. That best hitter now comes up and hits his third homer of the day. You just gave up 3 runs on a walk rather than 1 on a throwing error.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nobody asked for situational answers. If you can't think of multiple situations and formulate an answer that's fine, but stop trying to insult people that are intelligent enough to do that.

Overall, in general, and all the other qualifiers clearly indicated in the op's question errors are more detrimental to a team.

Walks are bad in baseball where getting a hit one out of three tries gets you in the hall of fame. In softball batting three hundred will get you cut if not ridiculed.

Last edited:

LngBallLvr

Addicted to Softballfans
Since we are doing situations, which is better a walk or a home run? In softball, there are many situations where a walk is better.

I dunno, maybe the problem is with the question? Sounds like a topic that originated from an argument between a pitcher and one of his fielders.

Paulypal

Addicted to Softballfans
Or... runner on second, best hitter who is that 4-4 with 2 hr's on deck. Batter hits a single and a throwing error allows the runner to score, batter advances to second on the throw. You can now walk the best hitter to still have a shot at a double play. Only gave up 1 run.

Same situation but if you walk that hitter, you now have guys say on 1st and 2nd. That best hitter now comes up and hits his third homer of the day. You just gave up 3 runs on a walk rather than 1 on a throwing error.

So you just proved it out thank you. Errors are worse than walks.

In your short story above - a run scored on an error but no runs scored on the walk. The runs only scored because the pitcher gave up a home run. So from a defensive stand point you proved the home runs are a bigger detriment than errors, but that wasnt the question.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I haven't done it personally, but have seen a guy hit an ieo offensive ejection to lead off a game. Home runs are worse than double plays.

ETDave

Old School
I filled in, and pitched for a team once, whose defense was so bad they would have scored slower if I had walked them all.

kvander

Addicted to Softballfans
Take any given batter in any situation, and you have 2 options: 1. They reach on an error 2. They reach on a walk.

What do you choose?

Cubsuns

Addicted to Softballfans
Take any given batter in any situation, and you have 2 options: 1. They reach on an error 2. They reach on a walk.

What do you choose?

A walk. Guarantees only one base. Depending on the type of error the batter/runner could get multiple bases.

kvander

Addicted to Softballfans
A walk. Guarantees only one base. Depending on the type of error the batter/runner could get multiple bases.
It was meant to be rhetorical. If you could ever choose the result of an at-bat, between an error or a walk, you would choose a walk every single time, which in my mind clearly answers the initial questions.

Last edited:

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
It was meant to be rhetorical. If you could ever choose the result of an at-bat, between an error or a walk, you would choose a walk every single time, which in my mind clearly answers the initial questions.
This is called critical thinking, and has no place in softball or on the forums apparently.

qwertle8

Addicted to Softballfans
Apologies .. i'll see myself out :(

How about fast runner on first and slow runner at the plate, error in the out field but a put out at 3rd? Defense still gets an out before the next batter steps to the plate and the offense now has a slower runner on first. If there was a walk guys are at first and second, which might be a HR situation for the next batter.

Even better if that fast runner is on second and gets tossed out at home. Huge defensive momentum shift to make an out at home and have a slow guy at first. Just last fall we turned a double play thanks to an error, dropped ball in the outfield lead to a put out at home, the batter tried to take second and was put out as well.

MaverickAH

WALKS
  • Gives up one base. Any runners forced will advance.
  • Stagnates the game.
  • Makes the offense more selective & willing to work the count.
  • On the plus side, they can be used as a defensive strategy to bypass dangerous hitters or create force situations.

ERRORS
  • Can result in multiple bases.
  • Can expose defensive weaknesses which smart offenses take advantage of. Instead of taking away a part of the field, the defense has now created a situation where the offense doesn't have to worry about being selective about where they hit the ball. They can 'free swing' & only worry about hitting the ball hard. The old saying about the ball finding you when you're having a bad game is rooted in this!
  • They give the offense extra outs which usually results in more scoring opportunities.

Ultimately, errors are much worse than walks.