Any We had an awesome Ump last night

baseman

in your face nancy grace
His strike zone was correct and consistant. He called the rules correctly. He was fair for both teams and aloud us to contest calls (if they were elligable to be contested). He did call something i had never heard of though, no players on base and the catcher through the ball to the third baseman after strike 2 and he gave the batter an extra ball (which caused him to walk). this was a new one to me and wondered if anyone else had seen this before.

MrEye

Addicted to Softballfans
It's probably a league rule, which keeps the games moving. BUT, if you haven't seen it before it doesn't seem to be enforced. I think a reminder before the game that he's one of the few that enforces it would have been cool.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
It's probably a league rule, which keeps the games moving. BUT, if you haven't seen it before it doesn't seem to be enforced. I think a reminder before the game that he's one of the few that enforces it would have been cool.

Nope, it's not a league rule. If this is ASA...

ASA 6-6-B: The catcher shall return the ball directly to the pitcher after each pitch, except after a strikeout.
EFFECT 6-B: A ball on the batter.
EXCEPTION: Does not apply with a runner(s) on base or the batter becoming a batter-runner.

Though looking at this rule, I'm wondering if the exception only applies to slow pitch with stealing.

Irish or BretMan, can you confirm that? Oldest book I have handy at work is 2007.

Fin09

Addicted to Softballfans
Do you use a 3-2 count in this league? If so, the rule says "except after a strikeout", meaning it's ok to throw it around after a k. If league "speed up" rules prohibit this, then that's different.

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
Nope, it's not a league rule. If this is ASA...

Though looking at this rule, I'm wondering if the exception only applies to slow pitch with stealing.

Irish or BretMan, can you confirm that? Oldest book I have handy at work is 2007.

My oldest book is 1936....:cool:

It is a standard rule that has been around for quite a few years. It is basically a delay of game.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
My oldest book is 1936....:cool:

It is a standard rule that has been around for quite a few years. It is basically a delay of game.

Yeah, I get that part, but was the "does not apply with a runner(s) on base" portion in the book before stealing was added? I can't imagine what reason a catcher in the year 2000 would have had for throwing to another fielder.

Basically, I'm wondering if this is an editorial oversight.

baseman

in your face nancy grace
Do you use a 3-2 count in this league? If so, the rule says "except after a strikeout", meaning it's ok to throw it around after a k. If league "speed up" rules prohibit this, then that's different.

Nope no 3-2 count. i imagine these umps are asa umps but it through me for a loop was all thanks for the responses guys.

ImminentDanger

Up and Over
Yeah, I get that part, but was the "does not apply with a runner(s) on base" portion in the book before stealing was added? I can't imagine what reason a catcher in the year 2000 would have had for throwing to another fielder.

Basically, I'm wondering if this is an editorial oversight.

NCASAUmp - My 1994 Rulebook does not include that phrase - I suspect you are correct that it was intended to only apply to a League with Stealing--- As you say, it doesn't seem to make sense otherwise...

%%%

andy-rockstar

Living for the Cit-ay
The umps up here are good. They tend to focus on where a pitch lands rather than actual strike zone crossing, but they're consistant otherwise.

daddy_ja

Amateur bat huer
bs-flag.jpg