Any Wearing a hat with a fielder's mask

Hiltz

Built for comfort
First night of our local men's league, had an unusual situation.

I started wearing a fielder's mask on the infield this year. When we took the field in the bottom of the first, I put my hat on backwards and put the mask on over my hat. I was promptly asked to remove the hat by the umpire. We play under SPN rules (Canada). The only rule I could find that had any relevance, and I know ASA and USSSA have a similar rule, is:

"Rule 2 - Section 9 - Uniforms,
including similar head pieces or caps, when required, shall be of similar colours and materials. MINIMUM uniform is considered to be matching tops.

A. All those participating in a game shall wear the adopted TEAM UNIFORM, including shoes, and shall wear it properly. Managers and coaches, when on the field, shall wear the adopted full uniform, shoes and if appropriate, jacket, which includes the team’s emblem and colours, which can readily identify them as a member of a team.
"

I've seen umpires ask players to turn their hats around before, and rightly so, but would you relax your stance in this case where it's not possible to wear a hat "properly" in conjunction with a fielding mask? I didn't really care, I just ditched the hat for the night. Just looking for opinions.

Joker

I've never had my backwards hat questioned when i pitch with my mask. if an ump wants to be a stickler the rules say the uniform must be worn properly but then he's just being a douche when someone is trying to protect themselves

Hiltz

Built for comfort
That's more or less what I thought. And while wearing a mask, couldn't wearing a hat backwards be considered "proper"?

This particular ump is a stickler and real old-school. He's threatened to toss people for stepping on the field with their hat on backwards before. And he barked at a few of our guys last night for having their feet hanging out of the dugout, even though they were still out of play. :rolleyes:

ureout

The Veteran
yes the rule states that the cap must be worn properly.....the proper way to wear a cap while wearing a mask is backwards

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
yes the rule states that the cap must be worn properly.....the proper way to wear a cap while wearing a mask is backwards

Yes, but if he's wearing a mask, then I'm relaxing that rule a bit. Especially if he's bald like me. Melanoma is a *****.

eddieq

The Great and Powerful Q
Absolutely. There is a difference between wearing your hat backwards to be a douchebag and wearing your hat backwards to accommodate safety gear. If I'm calling the game, that hat is "worn properly".

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
Absolutely. There is a difference between wearing your hat backwards to be a douchebag and wearing your hat backwards to accommodate safety gear. If I'm calling the game, that hat is "worn properly".

Agreed. How do catchers wear their hats when they're wearing a mask? Backwards. So what's the proper way to wear a hat while wearing a mask?

Backwards.

I'm not saying a damn thing to the player.

Hiltz

Built for comfort
Thanks for the input, guys. I'm gonna have our league president bring it up with the umpires.

BretMan

Addicted to Softballfans
I wear a full-bill 8 stitch hat under my umpire mask...so suck it up and turn your hat around! :D

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
How in the heck do you pull that off? And why? I have a combo hat that barely fits under my mask.

The harness on your mask is too tight. I'm guessing that your mask fits snugly to your head, which it shouldn't do. Mine is loosened to the point that if I lean forward and look at the ground, my mask doesn't even touch my face.

I've inadvertently forgotten to switch from my 8-stitch field cap to my 4-stitch plate cap when switching from bases to plate, but I still managed just fine. I just had to remember to pull the mask forward a little farther than I normally do.

AH23

Addicted to Softballfans
My mask moves, it definitely doesn't hang away from my face when I lean forward. Maybe I'll loosen it some more for tomorrows games.....

beernbombs

Abby's dad
A bit of difference between crouching behind the plate calling pitches and moving in the circle to field balls. As a fielder you definitely do not want your mask loose to the point of hanging away from your face.

the reason i wear just a skull cap when wearing my mask....can't be told its on backwards as there really isn't a front or back......

Hiltz

Built for comfort
^^^ I actually considered that. It's just more convenient to turn my hat around than it is to swap headwear every half-inning.

Plus I don't think I look tough enough to pull off that look, I'd look like the dude from the "Pretty Fly For a White Guy" video.

^^^ I actually considered that. It's just more convenient to turn my hat around than it is to swap headwear every half-inning.

Plus I don't think I look tough enough to pull off that look, I'd look like the dude from the "Pretty Fly For a White Guy" video.

:eek: :biggthumpup:....i don't even take mine off.....it also helps me b/c i sweat like i have water poured over me....it keeps it out of my eyes and such....i do try and get the same color as my teams hat..so as not to have that come into play..as some assoc make ya wear the same color hat ...or used to....also get an adjustable hat....