Weird lacing on new 1799 model I just received

ragals17

Addicted to Softballfans

Received this today from SBF store. I have never seen this extra knot in the top of the base of the H-Web before. Is this new for Wilson?

Last edited:

ragals17

Addicted to Softballfans
GIDTQSD3KPZ-side.png.cf.png
Saw a couple images of custom 1799s showing the added lace. Maybe Wilson is changing it on their retail models as well?

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
So I am guessing the main web attachment lace is coming down the vertical posts and then tying off at the top of the base. Then the web base lace is just running the perimeter of the base of the web.

Wilson also uses a separate lace for the fingers and the web spiral. My best hypothesis is that they might be able to use five 40" pieces of lace for the web and fingers rather than three 40" pieces and a 66" piece. It just may simplify production to use fewer lengths of lace.

But the counter to that is that Wilson only uses 3/16" lace, so they need different lengths anyway. But if you gave lacers only 40" pieces, they could cut one in half for the thumb and pinkie and then use 40" for every other section. There would be some waste with the palm lace, mid-finger lace, and web base, but you'd pretty much use up all of the rest of it.

Z1k05

Star Player
Why did you buy another glove that you won't use and will most likely sell in a week or 2?

Jen_16

Coach
The lacing was modified back in April and the changes were reflected on the custom builder. It was after PI hit camp and likely after Wilson nailed down the specs for this years retail line. Probably why many are seeing it for the first time. Expect to see it from here on out.

Swinging Bunt

Addicted to Softballfans
It has to do with the lace but there is a twist: only the MIV 1799's/Y's will have double knot. The A2K's and supposedly anything from Japan (PI A2000's) will still have the old single knot. I haven't been looking for PI's this year so I can't confirm whether the PI A2000 has the double knot. But if you look at the retail A2K, there is one knot. If you look at the custom A2K builder, there is one knot. In fact, how I came across this info is because of an inquiry concerning the discrepancy between the knots shown on the A2000 and A2K builders.