ASA Weird Question

steve7100

Addicted to Softballfans
Runner on 1st, 1 out. Batter hits a popup about 1 foot up the first base line. The catcher misses the ball, but contacts the ball while the ball is in fair territory. No fair ball called, no foul ball called. No time called, no dead ball called. Batter stays in box, runner stays on first. Catcher throws back to pitcher, pitcher is ready to make next pitch.

What does the ump do if the next pitch is pitched?

This almost happened but one fielder, after about a 5 second delay, had the realization to grab the pitcher (before on pitchers plate) and throw to second and then 1st.

jsam21238

Addicted to Softballfans
You don't allow a pitch, stand to the side and point towards fair territory until someone realizes what is going on.

eddieq

The Great and Powerful Q
You don't allow a pitch, stand to the side and point towards fair territory until someone realizes what is going on.

Yup. I had a youth fast pitch game where the ball was hit rolling down the third base line in foul territory. The ball hit a clump of dirt, bounced and tapped the third base bag then bounced along again in foul territory. Fair ball and I point that it's fair. Batter is still in the box, third baseman is casually jogging over to retrieve it, pitcher has her mask off adjusting it. At some point, I hear someone say, "was that a fair or foul ball" and I just gave a more emphatic point fair. Then all hell broke loose. OC is yelling "RUN", DC is yelling, "Get it and throw to first!" Runner took off, third base goes after the ball, she overthrows first, it rattles off the fence, 1st base coach sends the runner who makes second and rounds but by then the first baseman has retrieved the ball and throws to third. Batter-runner gets in a rundown between second and third, is obstructed while heading toward third and is eventually tagged out. I put her on third on the obstruction. It was a complete keystone cops situation. I knew all of the coaches as it was a hometown game and was able to explain everything and we all had a good laugh about it.

If everyone is paying attention, that's either a foul ball (because the third baseman could have touched it any time before it reached third) or a simple 5-3 putout.

Loso54

Addicted to Softballfans
The answers sound about right to me except I don't point emphatically or when someone asks point again. I give ball status and then if I'm behind the plate I stand there until someone makes a play, trust me eventually someone will. The only reason why I would be emphatic would be on a close ball and even then I pull back and get my secondary position. If someone is asking I definitely don't point again it can be considered giving an advantage but again thats being super technical.

steve7100

Addicted to Softballfans
You'd think it was kids, but it was Adults! To be fair, I did not point fair....same way I don't if it isn't a close call. I just wasn't sure if I should or shouldn't allow the next pitch, which came close to happening. I think the defensive team realized I was still just standing in my position and not returning to behind home plate and they finally figured it out. Thanks all!