Any weirdest, dumbest, strangest rules

stork

Rocky Mountain Oyster aka DirtDog
i hate those leagues. i understand its a safety thing, but making every play at home a force annoys me

Co-ed I could maybe understand. But it's a mens league with decent teams. Might as well put one at 2nd and 3rd too.:rolleyes:

Forrest2b

Addicted to Softballfans
Unless you tell the ump beforehand that you switch-hit, you're out for attempting to bat from the other side.

eddieq

The Great and Powerful Q
-An ump in our league calls guys out for giving fist bumps to the base coaches when they get a nice hit, etc. I know that base coaches and runners cannot make contact while a ball is in play but taking it that far is a little ridiculous.

This is actually not the case in ASA. A coach cannot "assist" the base runner. Fist bumps/high fives are not assisting the runner.

yem549

Bullpen Catcher
My Sunday morning league, runners cannot leave the base until contact is made. Usually not a big deal but every once in a while some body comes up and whiffs on a big hack, runner caught leaning, steps off, instant double play.

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
Unless you tell the ump beforehand that you switch-hit, you're out for attempting to bat from the other side.

That is one of the dumbest ****ing things...I've ever.....what? It's San Diego?.... heard of.....what, it is most of SoCal?.....

Nevermind, that explains everything.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
This is actually not the case in ASA. A coach cannot "assist" the base runner. Fist bumps/high fives are not assisting the runner.

Amen to that. The rule prohibits "physically assisting" a runner, not "physically congratulating" the runner. :)

Forrest2b

Addicted to Softballfans
That is one of the dumbest ****ing things...I've ever.....what? It's San Diego?.... heard of.....what, it is most of SoCal?.....

Nevermind, that explains everything.

At first I thought it was 1 umpire and ignored it, I don't switch hit but 2 teammates do. 2nd game, different ump, said the same thing. I asked if it was a safety thing (as I couldn't think of anything reason) and was told it was to prevent "being tricky." I guess something happened in the past, whatev. I decided to play elsewhere after that. Independent league. They played 'mostly' ASA rules.

In an alumni league I am in, if you are down more than 10 runs at any time, you can make the opposing team bat opposite handed. I thought it was kind of strange and our 2B almost got his head ripped off because you play coed depth and are standing in front of the bags because most balls are hit horribly. But then a switch hitter came up and hit a laser at our 2B standing about 40 feet away. I don't think we have made a team bat opposite handed since. :)

apilot

Veteran
I've been in a tournament where if you didn't have matching uniforms you were automatically made the visiting team. And I've been in a league where if you showed up with the wrong team jersey (if your team has more than one) you couldn't play....lol

stoopidwon

I Am OG Noob!!!
I played in a tourney that when the time limit was up, the game was over didnt matter which team was home team. We actually lost our first game we started the last inning down 7 with a fresh 5 homeruns but like 2:30 left to play we hit all five homeruns to get within 2 but they called the time limit. DUMB!!!!

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
I played in a tourney that when the time limit was up, the game was over didnt matter which team was home team. We actually lost our first game we started the last inning down 7 with a fresh 5 homeruns but like 2:30 left to play we hit all five homeruns to get within 2 but they called the time limit. DUMB!!!!

Might not be a good idea for a tourney, but many leagues do have these "drop dead time limits."

SlapHappy

Addicted to Softballfans
Here's a new rule in my company's no-ump, co-ed wood bat league:

There's a cone placed near the thirdbase fence halfway between third base and home. If a runner passes that cone (meaning they are more than halfway to home), they cannot retreat to third base or it's an out. There's another cone placed near the fence near home plate. To be safe at home, all the runner has to do is pass that imaginary line between home plate and the second cone. The kicker...home plate is a force play all the time.

I think some female catchers got run over last year.

Frisco Kid

Addicted to Metal
Here's a new rule in my company's no-ump, co-ed wood bat league:

There's a cone placed near the thirdbase fence halfway between third base and home. If a runner passes that cone (meaning they are more than halfway to home), they cannot retreat to third base or it's an out. There's another cone placed near the fence near home plate. To be safe at home, all the runner has to do is pass that imaginary line between home plate and the second cone. The kicker...home plate is a force play all the time.

I think some female catchers got run over last year.

Yeah, that's done here sometimes. The first cone is called the Commit Line. Once you pass that line, you can't go back to third. And yeah, plays at the plate are all forces. The runner CANNOT touch home plate to score... they have to cross that second line.

Often used in leagues where safety is very much the concern.

The rules you listed are both standard in senior softball except that they don't use cones. They chalk a line halfway between third and home and use a second home plate to the side of the other one. Every base is a force too.

not always,that is just a special rule for some leagues,the national senior assoc's don't use that rule.

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
At first I thought it was 1 umpire and ignored it, I don't switch hit but 2 teammates do. 2nd game, different ump, said the same thing. I asked if it was a safety thing (as I couldn't think of anything reason) and was told it was to prevent "being tricky.".

That's the second dumbest thing I've ever heard. Where the **** do you find these guys, baseball?:eek:

As an infielder, I guess you cannot slap or punch your glove since that may "trick" the other team. And if you use signals from the coach, you cannot change them up because that may "trick" the other team.

Screw baseball, these guys MUST have come from soccer!:(

kaerey

Addicted to Softballfans
I was talking to a young woman at the batting cage one day and she told me her company's league uses 9 players in the field. Unless you have a female in the lineup, then you can have 10 in the field. She said she got asked to play on 6 teams this season.

The company turns out to be HP, they have a nice campus here in town with their own field (looks decent from the road). She worked with graphics card integration on server systems. Had a decent swing too.

Prrebel

Addicted to Softballfans
We have an old ump that is anal about the noo hat backwards rule. I like to have my hair off my forehead when playing, but dont like having a shadow from the bill. Thinking about cutting the bill out to see what he says about that.

Actually seen this happen in a provincial playoff a few years ago.

Ump tell one of the outfielders to turn his hat around. The rule I believe is in place as the hat is a part of the uniform and should be worn respectfully ( I tend to agree... but anyway). So he argues with the ump rather loudly, until the ump threatens to kick him out. He turns his hat around and finishes the inning.

Before the next inning starts, he tears the bib off his hat and starts to run to his position in the outfield. He dosen't get across the infield before the ump gives him the toss. :)

freakazoid

I do it B.I.G.!!!
ive played with umpires in tourneys where not only does your hat have to be forward all shirts must be tucked in. ran into this a few times in my travels...

xxdxsxx

Addicted to Softballfans
Dont know if this is weird but I played in a tourney at my home fields and there is one field that is suppose to be an open field but it backs up next to a naval weapons station so there is a fence at about 370 in right field. We are playing E so it was no home runs and a guy hit a shot oppo about 380 over the fence we argued it was over the fence its an out the tournament director came by and said its an open field therefore its a ground rule triple

johnsonrod

Starting Player
i got a good one, 1 league i play in literally has NO rules. they use ASA as a "guideline" and have about 3 league specific rules but thats it. its a town league that has had almost the same teams in it for 10 years, mostly the same umpires, an absolute moron for a commish, and they are very resistant to changes.

amazingly there are hardly any arguments with the umpires, even when they call stuff that contradicts ASA rules

VF500Racer

Addicted to Softballfans
Not necessarily a weird league rule but our team gets
booted every March/April from one softball practice field
to another and then from 2nd one back to first one around Sept/Oct,
due to little league game and practice schedules. :rolleyes: