ASA Well, it finally happened - (where to start)?

EdFred

every day I'm shovelin'
Since I've made it known this is my last year of playing ball other than being an emergency sub, I've been recruited/suckered/coerced into joining the dark side in 2018 by one of the umpires in our league.

So what are some good (online to start) resources to access so I'm prepared right out of the gate next year.
(I've refereed 3 other sports, so game and player management probably isn't going to be an issue).

stork

Rocky Mountain Oyster aka DirtDog
I am still resisting the frustration, but I may eventually give in. But hopefully not. Good luck on your journey.

defos

I'll be 62 next week, and still play and hold my own against the younger guys. When I came up to bat a few weeks ago, the ump said to the catcher, "We gotta get this guy to umpire." I said, "Naw, then I'd have to remember stuff - balls, strikes, outs." Ump said, "Then you'd be perfect." I told him "I'm close enough now. No thanks."

I oversee the church co-ed league my church hosts, and I don't umpire there either. I get caught up watching the game and forget I'm supposed to be making the calls on the rare occasions I do umpire. I have no desire to be an umpire.

Good luck!

beernbombs

Abby's dad
I did it for 3 years. It was the coed leagues that drove me away. Money was good, 20 bucks a game, 3 or 4 games per night a couple of timea per week. Fields are only 10 minutes from my house. The constant whining and arguing from players that struggle to make even the most basic of plays just became too much for me to take.

I see a few players every now and then that want me to come back. I may move to fastpitch after my daughter finishes college ball. At least the players don't ***** and moan.

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
I did it for 3 years. It was the coed leagues that drove me away. Money was good, 20 bucks a game, 3 or 4 games per night a couple of timea per week. Fields are only 10 minutes from my house. The constant whining and arguing from players that struggle to make even the most basic of plays just became too much for me to take.

I see a few players every now and then that want me to come back. I may move to fastpitch after my daughter finishes college ball. At least the players don't ***** and moan.

No, in that game it is the coaches and parents

vlcmstnaz

volcom stone az
I oversee the church co-ed league my church hosts, and I don't umpire there either. I get caught up watching the game and forget I'm supposed to be making the calls on the rare occasions I do umpire. I have no desire to be an umpire.

Good luck!
This is what happens to me. I've umpires for church league when we are short umps. I end up watching the game and forget I'm supposed to be actively participating.

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
Oh, I'm aware. I'm a former fastpitch coach and current fp parent.

What I love are the FP folks who look down on SP, but can act just as bad at their daughter's games as the SP players are on the field.

I was a UIC at a 12U regional about 10 years ago and the TD asked me to have the umpires stop a game. These parents were so bad, the TD stood there and took notes. When he had the game stopped, he threw them out of the complex and told them the game will not continue until they left and would be forfeited if any were found to have returned.

Two things about the kids. The were embarrassed, but they played much better without the distraction of their parents.

Then there were the HS fans which were so bad Disney told them their team would not be welcome to return to any Disney event, but that' another story.

Last edited:

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
There's one question I ask parents of youth athletes that seems to resonate with them.

"When you yell at a ref/umpire, have you ever once seen them suddenly get... better?"

The answer is almost always "no," and often followed with "sometimes, the calls get worse." Then I ask them, "so why do you still do it?"

They never have an answer for that one.

Iceman6409

Something that still helps me is on the odd occasion I actually get to sit in the stands and watch a game is to evaluate what I see from that stand point. I watch the plays happen and I naturally sit there and think I should do this, they were safe/out.what is the actual rule that is being discussed on the field, how would I handle this situation, where should I be when the ball is hit, etc. We all have our own styles of empiring a game but I am open enough to still watch a game, use what I know, and also learn from a different persepctive while watching someone else do what I do. I always see things and say to myself "I like the way they did that better than do" or "He/she needs to do this better". Then you watch the calls, balls, strike, the interaction from the players.

Also I cannot speak for any other organization but the one I am lucky to be a part of but we have 6 meeting every year over the winter. At this point we talk a lot about common sense stuff but also a lot of time on new rules or rules changes. It's an open forum with us and we get tons of questions and scenarios every meeting.

But the biggest help is read the book. Ours is a condensed version now and we have a head trainer that teaches us the basics, always, and also what is new. The big thing for me reading the rules is it gets me out of a lot of trouble on the field when the players start barking at me about rules. Every single player thinks because they are a casual fan of baseball or have played the game of softball THINK they know all the rules. However we all know very very few of them have ever even seen the book let alone read it and been taught by it. Knowledge is power. If you know what the book wants you to know it gives you confidence. No one can remember all the rules and everyone gets the rules wrong from time to time. But when I know for a fact I am right on a little known rule the player is losing their mind on me about my arguing with them gets significantly shorter as I know I am right. If they still think they are right I let them protest but continue the game as fast as possible.

Read the book, watch the game, discuss amongst other umpires and practice.

EdFred

every day I'm shovelin'
See signature. :)
What?!?!? Another message board to occupy my time?

I'll be 62 next week, and still play and hold my own against the younger guys. When I came up to bat a few weeks ago, the ump said to the catcher, "We gotta get this guy to umpire." I said, "Naw, then I'd have to remember stuff - balls, strikes, outs." Ump said, "Then you'd be perfect." I told him "I'm close enough now. No thanks."

Good luck!

Yeah, I'm a shell of a shell of a shell of a shell of my former self. Legs, arm, and glove are still there, but I might as well be swinging a rope at the plate.

beernbombs

Abby's dad
What I love are the FP folks who look down on SP, but can act just as bad at their daughter's games as the SP players are on the field.

I was a UIC at a 12U regional about 10 years ago and the TD asked me to have the umpires stop a game. These parents were so bad, the TD stood there and took notes. When he had the game stopped, he threw them out of the complex and told them the game will not continue until they left and would be forfeited if any were found to have returned.

Two things about the kids. The were embarrassed, but they played much better without the distraction of their parents.

Then there were the HS fans which were so bad Disney told them their team would not be welcome to return to any Disney event, but that' another story.

I wouldn't say I look down on SP, I played men's and corec for 26 years. With the exception of a handful of games against some in your face mouthy teams, I enjoyed every bit of it. But compared to the love of the game and sportmanship shown by the athletes playing 16 and 18 A/Gold level fastpitch, the D & E corec players I witnessed my last year umpiring are a ****ing joke.

I don't think that fans behaving poorly is the same as players behaving poorly.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
I wouldn't say I look down on SP, I played men's and corec for 26 years. With the exception of a handful of games against some in your face mouthy teams, I enjoyed every bit of it. But compared to the love of the game and sportmanship shown by the athletes playing 16 and 18 A/Gold level fastpitch, the D & E corec players I witnessed my last year umpiring are a ****ing joke.

I don't think that fans behaving poorly is the same as players behaving poorly.

Amen to that. A couple years ago, I was lucky enough to call the 16U-A National in Chattanooga. I could go on and on about how great the town and the tournament were, but it really was the players who made it all worthwhile. The National was being played not long after those 5 servicemen were shot at the recruiting station, and the last funeral procession happened to pass by one of the parks where we were playing. We had been told in advance that when the funeral came by, we were to stop our games and pay our respects.

Those young athletes went to the fences holding up American flags and saluted the fallen soldier. Those young athletes knew what was important, and they paid their respects. It was an absolutely incredible sight to see, one that will stay with me forever.

Those young athletes have so much more class than I ever see on the Tuesday night D-league games.

JabNblue

I wanted to reply along with your post in agreement in some facet. Coed can be very aggravating. But I've come to notice these younger men's teams are worse!!!' It's not about the money per say it's more a labor of love. When operating a one man system, and stealing is allowed, this can definitely test your skills. And there will still be many times you won't see everything. But keep in mind as I have been taught, never guess an out! If you can't clearly see and know for sure a runner, batter/runnner is out then they are safe.
Next, grow a thick skin and try not to have rabbit ears.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
Here's what I've found over the years...

The women's teams curse the most.
The men's teams yell at the other teams the most.
The senior teams yell at each other the most.
The church teams yell at me the most.

The coed teams, sad to say, are usually the most well-behaved for me on league nights, probably because their spouses and significant others are also playing with them, and they don't want to embarrass themselves.

EdFred

every day I'm shovelin'
Here's what I've found over the years...

The women's teams curse the most.
The men's teams yell at the other teams the most.
The senior teams yell at each other the most.
The church teams yell at me the most.

The coed teams, sad to say, are usually the most well-behaved for me on league nights, probably because their spouses and significant others are also playing with them, and they don't want to embarrass themselves.

Plus it's tough to make the moves on the hottie 2B on the other team when you look like a complete jackhole.

beernbombs

Abby's dad
On the subject of player sportsmanship and parent behavior- Tonight, my daughter (catcher) turned around while in her crouch behind the plate and told the pitcher's dad, my wife and a couple of other parents that were moaning and groaning about balls and strikes to shutup.

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
On the subject of player sportsmanship and parent behavior- Tonight, my daughter (catcher) turned around while in her crouch behind the plate and told the pitcher's dad, my wife and a couple of other parents that were moaning and groaning about balls and strikes to shutup.

I've seen this many times and it is refreshing

JabNblue

If You are doing it for the money, then you are not doing it for the right reasons. Yes the little bit of income is ok, not going to finance a Malibu mansion but it ads up. What you do get with the right instructors is knowledge of the game. I misinterpret rules often, but quickly learn from them. I always try to a answer these postings at first thought, instinct and play review in my mind. Then comes more information added to the first post, and all the bookworms citing scripture. They may know these rules better than their daily job description, but is their field mechanics, calls, approach to the game with open mind or "I know it all". I've seen some a plus test results people (which is open book) be the most inconsistent field callers out there. Never having the same strike zone, miss obvious outs and safes, balls hitting dead center of the FAIR LINE being called foul, etc. But hey .....they know the rules.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
Hell, most of the Nationals I've called resulted in a net loss for me. One tournament, I had to buy two sets of navy plate pants, then have them hemmed and triple-stitched (ran me a total of $170 right there). Plus two new navy shirts and navy undershirts ($114 there).

I think I pretty much worked the tournament for free.

But it was one of the most amazing experiences of my life. One that I'd pay to relive.

JabNblue

Hell, most of the Nationals I've called resulted in a net loss for me. One tournament, I had to buy two sets of navy plate pants, then have them hemmed and triple-stitched (ran me a total of $170 right there). Plus two new navy shirts and navy undershirts ($114 there).

I think I pretty much worked the tournament for free.

But it was one of the most amazing experiences of my life. One that I'd pay to relive.
You are right, no matter how I order pants they all need alterations! They make us wear the Heather gray and powder blue shirts all weekend. Last weekend though we had almost all umpires with the new shirts, ballbags, hat. Only thing the one USA hat available at moment is wool cap. Very hot. But the new two tone clima cool shirts really help. I did inquir to the UIC about the American flag not being on the hats yet. They are still debating. I totally do not like this. You wear a hat with USA on it but not sure about the flag?

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
You are right, no matter how I order pants they all need alterations! They make us wear the Heather gray and powder blue shirts all weekend. Last weekend though we had almost all umpires with the new shirts, ballbags, hat. Only thing the one USA hat available at moment is wool cap. Very hot. But the new two tone clima cool shirts really help. I did inquir to the UIC about the American flag not being on the hats yet. They are still debating. I totally do not like this. You wear a hat with USA on it but not sure about the flag?

The flag has never belonged on the hat.

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
It does for me. USA Softball. I love ❤️ my flag.

US Code

(e) The flag should never be fastened, displayed, used, or stored in such a manner as to permit it to be easily torn, soiled, or damaged in any way

(j) No part of the flag should ever be used as a costume or athletic uniform. However, a flag patch may be affixed to the uniform of military personnel, firemen, policemen, and members of patriotic organizations. The flag represents a living country and is itself considered a living thing. Therefore, the lapel flag pin being a replica, should be worn on the left lapel near the heart.