What’s your absolute dream glove?

Softball.com:

ANNASDAD

The Veteran
Not a poll, just a general question with hopefully some great answers.

I know what I’d love to have!

Is it a childhood glove, a high school glove, or maybe the glove you used and lost in college?

How about Ichiro hand you one of his personal Mizuno’s, or Ken Griffey Jr. hand you one of his trap gloves?

How about Bob Clevenhagen personally design and make you a glove out of old brick hard Horween?

Or a true Japanese Pro-Limited or another odd / rare Japanese glove like an IP Select?

Speaking of Bob.....what about one of Ozzie’s original 12TC’s or one of Dave Concepcion’s Pro1000’s?

I know that Bob, Ichiro, and KGJr are out of the question now, but my dream glove is actually doable, and Chad could actually make mine happen, just marry these two together!

NP6 with a RV web, here’s my pick! Any leather, practically any color? Come on Chad, I’m getting old!
589FF404-812C-4A52-8F16-BA3F8CC96959.jpeg 10984227-F9F7-430A-91A2-D75B0444C6D2.jpeg A05BDA59-A302-40E7-A823-341F8B89B5F8.jpeg

MaverickAH

I already have my dream glove. I'm just hoping to get at least one more shot at using it! I'm not confident of it happening as other obligations & a rash of injuries are just not conducive.

2HMBZ5v.jpg

6pjrNpE.jpg

I would've also loved to have gotten this on the field:

Ay87Dge.jpg

ANNASDAD

The Veteran
I’d go overseas and pick out one of these.

Hey Bow, I could have easily written down Atoms in the same sentence as I wrote IP Select! As big a fan as you are of your Gloveworks, I’m surprised you don’t have a Pro One glove, which is as close to a Atoms as you’ll get......and much cheaper, especially now!

Atoms has always been a glove I’m intrigued by!

ANNASDAD

The Veteran
I already have my dream glove. I'm just hoping to get at least one more shot at using it! I'm not confident of it happening as other obligations & a rash of injuries are just not conducive.

2HMBZ5v.jpg

6pjrNpE.jpg

I would've also loved to have gotten this on the field:

Ay87Dge.jpg
Hey Mav, you bring up an option I didn’t even list.....who already has their dream glove? Hope you get healed up from whatever is bringing you down!

ANNASDAD

The Veteran
Questions / threads like this make guys like @Wally Gator, @Committed, and @Swinging Bunt's heads explode! "But but Johnny, we already have 40 or 50+ favorites, how are we supposed to choose?" :rolleyes::D

Another good question.....if you have multiple gloves, what's a glove(s) that you'd NEVER part with? I have exactly 5 that'll probably go in my coffin with me!

My old A2000 XLO.
Anna's 12" custom Vinci, that one got the ball rolling and moved her to the next level of playing!
My old DM Pro12TC.
My custom NP6 with the Bible verse.
And my newly acquired OG DM RV23 I got from Committed, this glove is awesome!

I'd sell every glove I own, these 5 aren't going anywhere!

Yeah I know, I haven't posted anything in awhile!

Last edited:

etnstudios

Addicted to Softballfans
i'd really like to have an A2000 ED12 for my collection. Kirby's old glove and i let too many slip through because i couldn't afford them at the time.

one that isn't anyone's dream but i did purchase for my dad once upon a time, was a Wilson signature model for a player that shares the same name as him. just one of those things that you get when it comes up lol

ANNASDAD

The Veteran
one that isn't anyone's dream but i did purchase for my dad once upon a time, was a Wilson signature model for a player that shares the same name as him. just one of those things that you get when it comes up lol
See, this is the kind of cool old sentimental ball glove stuff I like to read!

Wally Gator

Starting Player
After a lot of thought, I've got one for you Johnny, but it falls under the sadly unobtainable category. Bob made SLCS Omar Vizquel single piece in black and tan with the anchor lacing and blank palm as a tribute to some of the best hands ever to play the game. I was lucky to see him many days at the ballpark when he was a coach. He was equally talented with the fungo and did tricks in right field with the ball boys as I attended to my foul line area.

NYC

Swag on 100.
i'd really like to have an A2000 ED12 for my collection. Kirby's old glove and i let too many slip through because i couldn't afford them at the time.

The ED-12 stands for Eric Davis. I'm sure Kirby used it too but he's known for his KP92

ANNASDAD

The Veteran
After a lot of thought, I've got one for you Johnny, but it falls under the sadly unobtainable category. Bob made SLCS Omar Vizquel single piece in black and tan with the anchor lacing and blank palm as a tribute to some of the best hands ever to play the game. I was lucky to see him many days at the ballpark when he was a coach. He was equally talented with the fungo and did tricks in right field with the ball boys as I attended to my foul line area.
Always heard he was fun to be around, had quite the huge personality! He was fun to watch, I always felt he never got the same recognition as some of the other "superstars" at SS, but those other superstars knew how awesome he was!

etnstudios

Addicted to Softballfans
The ED-12 stands for Eric Davis. I'm sure Kirby used it too but he's known for his KP92

yeah i know that. 92 was after he won his ships though. ED12 is what he had when they were great and is what i remember him wearing in all of his iconic plays/posters/cards

beeblebobble

Starting Player
PRO205-20 All Tan Horween, Liner as well. A few years ago when there were hints at tan horween coming to the customizer I had hope. But now I assume it will never happen. Oh well.

While I love all the classics and enjoy seeing them on IG, its about what works on the field for me now and I much prefer the modern patterns for play over the old USA HoH or even a SLCS.

ANNASDAD

The Veteran
PRO205-20 All Tan Horween, Liner as well. A few years ago when there were hints at tan horween coming to the customizer I had hope. But now I assume it will never happen. Oh well.

While I love all the classics and enjoy seeing them on IG, its about what works on the field for me now and I much prefer the modern patterns for play over the old USA HoH or even a SLCS.

I'm sure you're wayyy more familiar with this pattern than I am, but how close would a DM ProSPT come to working out for you! And if you've already been down this road...................How close is the Pro205 and this SPT to each other as far as patterns go?

https://www.ballgloves.com/rawlings...glove-horween-leather-11-75-right-hand-throw/

beeblebobble

Starting Player
I'm sure you're wayyy more familiar with this pattern than I am, but how close would a DM ProSPT come to working out for you! And if you've already been down this road...................How close is the Pro205 and this SPT to each other as far as patterns go?

https://www.ballgloves.com/rawlings...glove-horween-leather-11-75-right-hand-throw/
Thanks, but unfortunately the patterns are not similar at all, SPT is a much flatter pocket and a bit shifted relative to a 200. SPT was a precursor to the TT2. And I much prefer the -20 web over the -1 single posts. I've tried SPT more than once wanting it to be the one, but its not. I tried the 206-20HT SBF exclusive when it came out and its too big for my taste, and I hate Mod Traps so the 205-4HT is also out. I had a few of the 2012 Rawlingsgear 200-1 Horween models and they are too small. Retail wise my dream glove just isn't out there.

ANNASDAD

The Veteran
Thanks, but unfortunately the patterns are not similar at all, SPT is a much flatter pocket and a bit shifted relative to a 200. SPT was a precursor to the TT2. And I much prefer the -20 web over the -1 single posts. I've tried SPT more than once wanting it to be the one, but its not. I tried the 206-20HT SBF exclusive when it came out and its too big for my taste, and I hate Mod Traps so the 205-4HT is also out. I had a few of the 2012 Rawlingsgear 200-1 Horween models and they are too small. Retail wise my dream glove just isn't out there.

Do you like I-webs or too flat? Do you like NP gloves, like a NP5? Maybe the NP5-PRO Horween Spring Training glove is an option?

I mocked you up a Pro205-20, well cause I love the builder!
E2540298-D9AB-4270-A969-0233B85B78C9.jpeg

beeblebobble

Starting Player
Do you like I-webs or too flat? Do you like NP gloves, like a NP5? Maybe the NP5-PRO Horween Spring Training glove is an option?

I mocked you up a Pro205-20, well cause I love the builder!
View attachment 61413
Thanks. No the dream glove is a single post/cross web. (NP patterns play big the NP5 plays more like a 12") I used a Mizuno GIC-3E through high school and it was the jam. When I came back to the game after 20 years away, I went on a long quest to find the "perfect" glove. Even getting a used 3E at one point and sending it to David Relacing who did a fantastic job but I had been using more modern gloves in the mean time and became accustomed to it.
I used the previously mentioned rawlingsgear 200-1 for a while and Mortons 200-6 both are 11.5" and I wanted a skosh more length. After exploiting Justballgloves 100 day return policy I went though all the brands, patterns, sizes over an extended period maybe 2.5 years. And realized for my play style what is now the 205-20 was perfect for me. My then fiance got me a custom that is my gamer now and I went on to order multiple customs of that pattern in different leathers both HoH and PP. I found that HoH consistently were a shade smaller than the same size pattern PP And PP were consistently stiffer and take more work to break in (a quality I like). But nothing is exact and you see the variance over multiple customs. I like an all tan glove and I love horween after using the rawlings gear and mortons models. So hoping one day it makes it to the customizer. Here's my current gamer.
IMG_5751.jpg IMG_5757.JPG IMG_5762.JPG IMG_5765.jpg

Last edited:

ANNASDAD

The Veteran
Nice post bee, I agree with you on the NP’s playing larger than their listed size, both of mine are larger. What about an 11.5” NP4 to see if it plays close to an 11.75” Pro205?

Love the shape of your glove in that first pic of the palm side!

beeblebobble

Starting Player
Nice post bee, I agree with you on the NP’s playing larger than their listed size, both of mine are larger. What about an 11.5” NP4 to see if it plays close to an 11.75” Pro205?

Love the shape of your glove in that first pic of the palm side!
Thank you I love it, then fiance is now the wife. The current gamer is about as perfect of a glove as I can get with whats available. I did get a PRODJ2HT (NP4-3 pattern) from Chad and I thought with a -20 web I would dig it. But at this point if I can't go to an all horween model I'm not going to try anymore patterns out. I saw a guy on IG with a NP4-6 horween model that was a Xander Bogarts sample that tempted me, but I'm over paying premium for a glove at this point. I've got the current gamer and an almost exact copy only with split welting that's being broke in as a back up. They add horween to the customizer I'll go ape ****, but til then I'm pretty settled.

In fantasy land if I ever caught a ball at a game that was significant to a player I always think I'd use that as a bargaining chip to get a pro rawlings order in lol.

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
For personal use, a Carpenter 13" softball glove (Horween shell) with a custom liner.

For the shelf.
Sandy Koufax's glove from his 1965 perfect game.
Willie Mays glove from the 1954 game 1 world series (the catch).
Jackie Robinson's mitt from his first game in MLB (April 1947).
Any game worn Beltre glove, preferably one he threw up in the air to attempt to knock down a home run ball.

Here is a 13" Carp with a synthetic shell, so they did exist.

new-13-dh-391x492.jpg

ANNASDAD

The Veteran
Great post Jeffrey! I’m 54 so I’m pretty old, or at least I feel old. I remember very well watching the Big Red Machine dominate in the Mid-seventies with my Dad on Saturday afternoons. There wasn’t a Saturday game that went by that my Dad didn’t mention, reference, or place (in his mind) Sandy Koufax on the mound for Cincinnati, my Dad loved Sandy Koufax to the point of Super Hero Status!

Wished I could have seen him pitch!

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
Great post Jeffrey! I’m 54 so I’m pretty old, or at least I feel old. I remember very well watching the Big Red Machine dominate in the Mid-seventies with my Dad on Saturday afternoons. There wasn’t a Saturday game that went by that my Dad didn’t mention, reference, or place (in his mind) Sandy Koufax on the mound for Cincinnati, my Dad loved Sandy Koufax to the point of Super Hero Status!

Wished I could have seen him pitch!

If you haven't ready Jane Leavy's book, "Sandy Koufax", you should find a copy. Her book on Mantle is depressing, but the one on Koufax is a celebration of baseball.

NYC

Swag on 100.
I always wanted an all horween pro302, don't care if it's the 12.5 or 12.75 version. Maybe if enough of us commit to pre ordering one then Chad might put an order in? :)

BaseballFan2010

Addicted to Softballfans
Red Garrett Richards Nike Sha Do Elite J Mod Trap. Bought a black one a couple years back, and that pattern is great for softball. Would love to find another.

Committed

Great topic Johnny! I feel like a glove search can be similar to the hunt for the holy grail.

@Rous I believe that was a Leatherhead sports and Carpenter collaboration with Horween shell leather. I lost out on the eBay auction for that 13” or the 12.75” and am still kicking myself for not getting that one.

I still haven’t found that one “dream” glove yet, I’ll let you all know if/when I find it. In the meantime, I’m having a blast trying everything I get my hands on.

ANNASDAD

The Veteran
Great topic Johnny! I feel like a glove search can be similar to the hunt for the holy grail.

@Rous I believe that was a Leatherhead sports and Carpenter collaboration with Horween shell leather. I lost out on the eBay auction for that 13” or the 12.75” and am still kicking myself for not getting that one.

I still haven’t found that one “dream” glove yet, I’ll let you all know if/when I find it. In the meantime, I’m having a blast trying everything I get my hands on.

Wait......I thought my Timberglaze NP7 that you beat me up on was your grail? So all that poor mouth sweet talk was just a front? :rolleyes: Now I know!

MaverickAH

Hey Mav, you bring up an option I didn’t even list.....who already has their dream glove? Hope you get healed up from whatever is bringing you down!

Thanks for the well wishes AD. Unfortunately it's not something that's easily remediable. Age & arthritis mixed with tendon & ligament issues is a tough issue to deal with. It's especially tough for me as I don't know how to dial back & my team doesn't know how to do it for me if I'm there. If I show up & ask for a game or the day off, it's like I'm speaking a foreign language! I get it because I take a .550 team & turn them into an .800 team but injuries negatively affect other aspects of my personal life. My only recourse is to stop playing altogether. I just can't afford any more leg injuries. Honestly, although I love the game, if I never step on another field as a player, I'm cool with that. My biggest regret is only getting a handful of games on my custom Vinci!