What age can I get my son quality leather?

edvedsfb

Addicted to Softballfans
I'm just curious at what age did you all start to introduce your sons or daughters to higher quality gloves?

Now I'm not really there yet but my son is turning 3 and I cringe at the thought of him using some vinyl POS after beyond a certain age. I know vinyl is lighter and easier to close which is why it works well for kids, however, I'm just curious what the general consensus is on when to start the upgrade to better material.

2TransAms

Droppin' 280 ft bombs
Last year I traded some stuff at PIAS and got my son (then 8) a Revo 350. Decent glove, should last him a couple years. I don't see the need for anything better til he's 11 or so and has a better idea of what position he'll usually be.

right away if you find something already broken in. the question is how many will they lose before you lose your mind? now i need a drink. thanks....lol

Newtothegame

Not looking for a team
My son (6). Still throws his glove on the ground while getting his helmet.. People step on it, its been left outside ect..

I think it may depend on the kid and how he/she cares for the glove, but in my scenario.. He is not ready.

CatchersSB#31

Addicted to Softballfans
Uh, I would say approaching High School age. "Right away"? Are you kidding me. Kids need something lightweight and easy to close so they can work on the basics. They don't need a heavy $200 glove to learn how to field a grounder or to catch a fly ball. Your kids aren't "glove *****s" in the making, they are children. They need it to be as simple as possible so they can just learn how to play the game and have fun.

edvedsfb

Addicted to Softballfans
I was thinking 9 so I don't seem to be too far off base from anyone. Thanks for the replies.

solid95z

Addicted to Softballfans
I got my son an a1k 1788 when he was 6. Made a world of difference in his fielding. He's had it over 2 years now & still loves it. I just relace & clean/condition it real good When needed. . He'll probably keep that one for another year or so then upgrade to dp15ss. Just waiting for his hands to get a little bigger so he can control the finger stalls better.

Last edited:

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
When my son was 8 (almost 9) he still was using his first glove, a 10" Mizuno youth glove. Then he made the All-Star team for his league and the guy coaching that team practically laughed at me. He suggest a 12" glove at minimum.... and I laughed at him. But I did realize it was time for a real glove. But that was a $100, 11.5" Kelley made from oil tanned leather and Vinyl and Cool-Max. I think something like the Rawlings GG Gamer Youth Pro Taper series ($99) is probably about perfect for that 8-12 age range.

moren025

Addicted to Softballfans
I based it on my son and how he treated his equipment. When he went away from blaming the glove and throwing it in the dugout after an error, I knew it was time. Picked him up his first HOH at about 10.

ANNASDAD

The Veteran
Got very lucky, found a 11.25" HOH from PIAS for $40.00. Broken in perfectly and game ready the day I bought it, have no idea why someone would have got rid of that glove? An employee priced it wrong, the guy at the counter balked at the idea of selling it so cheap but finally did.

Uh, I would say approaching High School age. "Right away"? Are you kidding me. Kids need something lightweight and easy to close so they can work on the basics. They don't need a heavy $200 glove to learn how to field a grounder or to catch a fly ball. Your kids aren't "glove *****s" in the making, they are children. They need it to be as simple as possible so they can just learn how to play the game and have fun.

the question was quality not high end. and the key is broken in. imo the worst thing you can do is start them with something too stiff/new, followed by something of the lowest quality. again jmo.

mm79

Addicted to Softballfans
I really liked the mizuno GMVP for my kids that range from 6-11,break in fast and not to heavy.

dford42

Addicted to Softballfans
Another vote for the A1k series. My son, 8, has been using for around a year. Got one when they went on sale for under $100. Good quality glove and not too difficult of a break in.

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
Another vote for the A1k series. My son, 8, has been using for around a year. Got one when they went on sale for under $100. Good quality glove and not too difficult of a break in.

Teh A1K are A2000 quality gloves. When I look for these now I generally see them listed at $199 (too much for a glove that might be left out in the rain or on a bench someplace). However, I see an 11.5" on the bay right now for $122.

edvedsfb

Addicted to Softballfans
Someone enlighten me on the a1k. I've seen them all over the place but have never handled one. Are they really a2000 quality with smaller hand stalls and lower prices?

dford42

Addicted to Softballfans
They are very similar in quality IMO. They are not as stiff as a stock A2000 to me but otherwise I feel like they are pretty close. They do have a smaller hand stall as well.