What companies actually use Horween?

Gauge

Banned User
The slcs stuff is my fav, I know what I can get. I like the retail hoh and pp as well and the Wilson and gmp leathers. Quality is quality even if they are a little different.

smarkley3

Certified Trap Hoe
Yes, DMS orders the SMUs with Horween from Rawlings and LS. WHen DMS orders 400 Rawlings gloves (last time it was PRO1000-6, PRO200-6 and PRO200-2), it is enough to get Horween to make a batch. Same goes for the Louisville Slugger C55 gloves.

As for pull-up leather, Horween Chromexcel is a pull-up leather. Nokona calls the pull up leather they use either Stampede or Buckskin. I asked Bart at Glovesmith about it one time and he said when they tested it, they couldn't find one that had a high enough tensile strength for ball gloves.

Vinci found a great pull up leather for gloves, I find it hard to believe Glovesmith couldn't find a leather strong enough. Perhaps they don't wish to offer it.

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
Well, I am sure they did not try every pull-up leather on the planet, so maybe they just didn't work as hard as Pete to find the good stuff. Slackers. Maybe I should call Bart up and call him a wuss for giving up so soon.

Steve, More than 1/2 of the glove I have worked on are Vincis. I gotta tell ya, just because Vinci made a specific materials decision does not prove it was a good one.

glovedad

I have a Pro Preferred, S27JB Trapeze Model, with the markings, EBEH. Tan and Black. Beautiful glove, but the leather is thick. I have been unable to find any info about the EBEH stamp. I would sure appreciate any information anyone has to offer. I have not used it yet because of the thickness of the leather. It is a bit of a "blocky" glove, kind of like the old Ramblers people used to drive. As wide as it is tall. Even though it is 12 3/4. Thank you for any help on the glove.

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
EBEH is a blackhorse date code.
B 1
L 2
A 3
C 4
K 5
H 6
O 7
R 8
S 9
E 0

So EBEH is 01/06 (January of 2006).

27 means is a 12.75" glove (take out the dot and the first and last number).
S means Pro Preferred
JB means Japanese tanned black leather. I think this is their standard dry (as in not oil tanned) black leather.

I think the PROS27 is the same pattern as the PRO24TB (in this case, the 24 is Ken Griffey Jr.'s Mariners' jersey number). The model was originally the PRO-T. B stands for black.

smarkley3

Certified Trap Hoe
Well, I am sure they did not try every pull-up leather on the planet, so maybe they just didn't work as hard as Pete to find the good stuff. Slackers. Maybe I should call Bart up and call him a wuss for giving up so soon.

Steve, More than 1/2 of the glove I have worked on are Vincis. I gotta tell ya, just because Vinci made a specific materials decision does not prove it was a good one.

Not saying Vinci is perfect or that everyone will like em Rous. I do really like the Optimus Walnut leather, I wanted a more traditional leather and the pull up ages well.
As for materials Glovesmith has some nice leathers but never was a fan of most of there patterns on stock gloves.
I am glad to see Nokona change some things up and I am always looking for nice gloves that don't push the $200 price.......
As for Horween, they make what you ask for, just like most tannerys.

glovedad

Well thank you very much for the information on this glove. I'd sure like to be more comfortable using it. Right now it is more of a collector's item for me. It is just so thick that I don't see it getting broken in enough to play outfield with. Thanks again and take care.