Any What concidered a slide?

baseman

in your face nancy grace
I play in a Coed league with no sliding. Batter-runner on other team trys to leg one out to second and close to 5 feet away from the bag his feet go out in front of him and slides on his feet to the bag. His hand is also touching the ground but his torso isn't. He would have been 3rd out and we win the game and move on in the championship but the ump (their team coach) calls him safe. We argue he is out for sliding into second and their resoning for not calling it a slide is his hip never touched the ground. What officially constitutes a slide in softball?

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
I play in a Coed league with no sliding. Batter-runner on other team trys to leg one out to second and close to 5 feet away from the bag his feet go out in front of him and slides on his feet to the bag. His hand is also touching the ground but his torso isn't. He would have been 3rd out and we win the game and move on in the championship but the ump (their team coach) calls him safe. We argue he is out for sliding into second and their resoning for not calling it a slide is his hip never touched the ground. What officially constitutes a slide in softball?

Stay in the field, that is not a slide. BTW, stupid rule.

baseman

in your face nancy grace
I agree stupid rule but 90% of the slowpitch leagues in town have this rule. Just wondering how it is not a slide if his body is parrallel with the ground and the only reason that his ``hips``aren`t touching is his hand was propping hm up.

aburhart

Just call me B
Why is the other team's coach the umpire to begin with? Seems like he/she wouldn't be impartial at all.

RDD15

Addicted to Softballfans
I dont think that the rulebooks define what constitutes a slide. So if your league rules do not, then

1-This is a perfect example of why "league rules" can blow up in your face when they are not supported by other well written rules and definitions.

2-If no definition supports this awful league rule, then it is going to be up to the umpire's discretion. I say that no way should this be considered a slide. Also, if no clear definition is present, as an umpire I think that any benefit of doubt in this situation would favor the runner and him not being called out because of some stupid and poorly written rule.

You lost. Stop grasping at straws. To get pissed that a guy was not called out for this is pretty bush. Trying to call that a slide is nit picking at best.

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
I agree stupid rule but 90% of the slowpitch leagues in town have this rule. Just wondering how it is not a slide if his body is parrallel with the ground and the only reason that his ``hips``aren`t touching is his hand was propping hm up.

Does the league tell you what a slide is? If not, how can they tell you not to do it when "it" may be unknown?

A slide involves a player leaving their feet landing on their thigh and dropping the feet into the bases.

What you had is not a slide in anyone's book save Michael Jackson and he's not around to say different.

baseman

in your face nancy grace
How can you say that I am being bush penis head. I am asking a simple question. Thank you for the helpful answers.

RDD15

Addicted to Softballfans
How can you say that I am being bush penis head. I am asking a simple question. Thank you for the helpful answers.

"To get pissed that a guy was not called out for this is pretty bush."

Thats what I said. If you are asking a simple question, and you arent pissed off about the situation, or didnt cry to the ump one iota, then you are not being bush, and what I said allows for that.

If you think that the dude should have been called out, and it bothers you enough to talk about it, I think that is bush.

My comment was not "you are bush". It was "if you are pissed about it, you are bush". Whichever side of the coin you fall on, only you know.

BretMan

Addicted to Softballfans
Forced to rule if this was a slide or not (absent any league definition of a slide) I'd say that if his feet never left the ground, and his body, hip or leg wasn't on the ground, then it wasn't a slide.

Dogue

Evil Genius
Forced to rule if this was a slide or not (absent any league definition of a slide) I'd say that if his feet never left the ground, and his body, hip or leg wasn't on the ground, then it wasn't a slide.

This seems like common sense.

I think a no sliding rule is kinda dangerous. I know I've had several instances where I watch the action of the infield (if not the throw itself) and I've slid just to avoid being hit by a ball. I'll also dive if I know a ball is coming from directly behind me. Very stupid rule, IMO.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
This seems like common sense.

I think a no sliding rule is kinda dangerous. I know I've had several instances where I watch the action of the infield (if not the throw itself) and I've slid just to avoid being hit by a ball. I'll also dive if I know a ball is coming from directly behind me. Very stupid rule, IMO.

I think any rule that says you either MUST slide or MUST NEVER slide is dangerous. You're taking away options for a player to avoid contact and potentially forcing them to execute something they may not know how to do properly.