Any what do I do as player that irritates the umpire

Fenderplayer

Starting Player
As long as you're not breaking any rules or offending anyone on the field, I say eff em! Irritate away.

Do you have any specific examples of irritating an umpire?

Jbird11

One thing that bothered the **** outta me when i was umping..

This stupid ass catcher was chewing a huge mouth full of tobacco... and he kept spitting tiny little spit bubble out, like he's spittin out the straggling pieces of chew or something...

It was almost a nervous tick or something, almost like breathing.. just spit, spit, spit.....pitch comes in, spit... spit...

wind blowin in, that **** kept hitting my legs... god i wanted to smack his ass...

Swaggs

Banned User
Things that will get on an ump last nerve:

1. Kicking dirt on the plate after th ump cleans it off!
2. Keep throwing in a cut baseball or softball after he throws the ball out of the game
3. Making an Ump walk out to the mound to break up a meeting more than twice in an inning.
4. When there is one ump running from 1b to 3rd on a ball to the outfield, generally you can get away with it once.
5. Telling the ump your asked his daughter out before the game.
6. Hiding the umps drink, never do this!
7. Calling time after every pitch to readjust your batting gloves, helmet, or to readjust your ****.
8. never say "you" to an ump it makes it personal! Go ahead argue the call once you make it personal they will just get all butthurt.
9. Umps dont like it when you grandstand them.

Ah hell ump are like wives they are not happy ever.

chiefgator

Crafty Veteran
7. Calling time after every pitch to readjust your batting gloves, helmet, or to readjust your ****.

This...

I have had several players get upset with me when I tell them to "get in the box". You are not Big Papi... no reason for this crap. Initial set-up... I give them all the time they need. Once the first pitch is thrown, you need to keep it within reason...

CD#5

Addicted to Softballfans
We had bases loaded with 1 out, I was on 3rd and one of our batters hit a sky popup to the infield and ump called "infield fly" so I was impressed, cuz I really haven't seen a lot of umps in rec coed ball call infield fly. So I was applauding and said "hell yeah ump infield fly" and he got all pissed at me. I told him in between innings that I wasn't trying to show him up, it's just you don't see umps in our ball call that.

Swaggs

Banned User
This...

I have had several players get upset with me when I tell them to "get in the box". You are not Big Papi... no reason for this crap. Initial set-up... I give them all the time they need. Once the first pitch is thrown, you need to keep it within reason...

Good I think that one is crap to. I never pull that one but the others you could blame on me just saying.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
Here are a few things that irritate me as an ump:

Batters who take 5 minutes smoothing out the batters box and then roll the first pitch to short every time.

Guys who take forever to get to the box.

Pitchers who continually try to quick-pitch guys.

Hitters who piss and moan over every strike I call, even if it's a pure meatball.

Guys who keep trying to use the same illegal bat every week, even though I keep throwing it out every week. What, am I going to forget it was you trying to swing that Ressy titan in an ASA league?

Teams who win the coin toss and call home despite having only 7 guys ready to play.

Oh ESPECIALLY this one!

AH23

Addicted to Softballfans
This...

YEP! Same here. Stay in the damned box. We all do our grooming before we get in, have our routines as players. But, as an umpire, STAY IN THE BOX AFTER YOU WATCH ONE GO BY!

LORDV8R

Addicted to Softballfans
Probably the best way to irritate an ump is it as him to atleast take a couple of steps from behind the plate to make calls on the infield.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
Probably the best way to irritate an ump is it as him to atleast take a couple of steps from behind the plate to make calls on the infield.

Why bother? Every angle on the field seems to be a good one based off all that hollering I hear during the games. :D

eddieq

The Great and Powerful Q
Possibly a "local flavor" thing, but as a Phillies fan, I grew up listening to Richie Ashburn and Harry Kalas calling the games. If a pitcher threw one that seemed to be an obvious strike that was called a ball, Harry would say, "Right down the middle for a ball" and Richie would usually chime in with, "Hard to believe, Harry". In a game several weeks ago, I had a great view of the pitches from the sidelines while keeping the book (certainly better than the umpire ;) ) and our pitcher threw one that I just knew was a strike, but was incorrectly called a ball. I turned to the coach next to me and said, "Hard to believe, Harry" which drew a good laugh from him. The umpire gave me quite the stare-down, though.

LORDV8R

Addicted to Softballfans
Why bother? Every angle on the field seems to be a good one based off all that hollering I hear during the games. :D

I hear ya but by not moving more than 3 feet from the plate just opens the ump to more of the groaning.

buckster

Addicted to Softballfans
Only thing that irritates me is when the magic pronoun "you" makes its way into a conversation about a call. I did not make the throw that pulled the fielder off the bag, I did not let one call determine how you play the game, and I certainly don't care who wins and loses.

ASA BLUE

Star Player
Only thing that irritates me is when the magic pronoun "you" makes its way into a conversation about a call. I did not make the throw that pulled the fielder off the bag, I did not let one call determine how you play the game, and I certainly don't care who wins and loses.

For sure. Sure, certain calls can influence games, but most are not game-altering. Don't blame me for your performance. I usually do A & B level Men's, but last night I was doing Rec Coed. In the 1st inning, a guy doesn't like a strike that I called, thinking it was too high. He shoots me a nasty look and mumbles under his breath. When the count is 3-1, another pitch comes in that is obviously too high, which I called illegal in plenty of time. He tomohawks it for a easily caught fly ball to leftcenter. I hear him whining on the bench about how I forced him to swing at high balls. He got 2 more at-bats in which he swung at horrible pitches which he failed to get a hit on. After each at-bat, he gives me the look and whines on the bench. I kept a straight face and didn't say a word. Yeah, I made you swing at bad pitches. Yeah, I'm the reason your team lost 42-5.

dachuckster

Addicted to Softballfans

Thats not being rude, its telling him/her in a polite way to stop being lazy. I have walked up to several umps when play is stopped to tell them it is greatly appreciated when they do hustle out to make a call.

Its hard to argue a "close" call when they hustle out to the bag. Its also tough to make the correct call at 2nd base from 3 feet in front of home plate!

egibree

Addicted to Softballfans
Im a pretty mello person but there are a few things that irk me while i umpire:

1) your up 21 in the 4th dont screw around and pitch the score keeper, or play a 2 man outfield....show some respect for the game and the team you are beating and just end it.

2)lazy......the left fielders that walks out every inning and we all have to wait for him to turn around and get ready..

3)the outfielder that complains about every called ball..come one were did that miss?.....bro you are 250 ft away stfu.......

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
Im a pretty mello person but there are a few things that irk me while i umpire:

1) your up 21 in the 4th dont screw around and pitch the score keeper, or play a 2 man outfield....show some respect for the game and the team you are beating and just end it.

Amen!

2)lazy......the left fielders that walks out every inning and we all have to wait for him to turn around and get ready..

I just loudly call "batter!" and give a loud "play ball!" when the batter's ready.

That gets the lazy LF moving pretty darn quick.

3)the outfielder that complains about every called ball..come one were did that miss?.....bro you are 250 ft away stfu.......

See my signature below. ;)

NDSoftball

Addicted to Softballfans
Last night in our league our ump asked us how many runs we got in the inning and I said "All of them." That apparently didnt go over to well with him. Just trying to be funny

Gamble

Addicted to Softballfans
Apparently, when the umpire is already being a douche, hitting at them doesn't help things out.

****er deserved it, though -- assclown kept changing calls if the other bench whined about it enough.

DeputyUICHousto

Addicted to Softballfans
Things That P*ss Me Off

Just a few things that come to mind that really piss me off:

1. The first batter of the game walks up to the plate and says "What's your strike zone?"

2. A batter spitting on my plate!

3. The left fielder who can see balls and strikes better than I can.

4. A player or coach who argues a call and doesn't know the rule.

5. Players or teams who want to piss and moan about a call you made 4 innings ago.

I'm sure there are many more but these come to mind for now.

DeputyUICHousto

Addicted to Softballfans
I forgot one!

This is probably the one that pisses me off the most:

When the batter reaches down with his bat and touches the spot where the ball landed when you've called it a strike. "No sh*t buddy, that's exactly where that pitch landed. Watch it again and see what happens!" u always want to say something like that but never do. But come on, don't you think we know where the ball lands?

USSSA

The Veteran
no matter what happens to the rules to make them idiot proof, ball players always come up with a better idiot

I have never heard a player say they have read the rule book from cover to cover

chiefgator

Crafty Veteran
no matter what happens to the rules to make them idiot proof, ball players always come up with a better idiot

I have never heard a player say they have read the rule book from cover to cover

I have heard them SAY they have read it. Most are fibbing.......

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
This is probably the one that pisses me off the most:

When the batter reaches down with his bat and touches the spot where the ball landed when you've called it a strike. "No sh*t buddy, that's exactly where that pitch landed. Watch it again and see what happens!" u always want to say something like that but never do. But come on, don't you think we know where the ball lands?

That's when you ask the batter for his bat. Then, you draw a line pointing to the parking lot and say, "do that again, and that's where you'll be heading," as you give him back his bat.