What do you consider a "mush" ball?

single wally

Professional Amateur
all i want to know is

how could the cover of the ball (synthetic or leather) be the cause of a ball going to mush

Good question and I guess this is debatable; some say synthetic is better. In my experience with low compression balls (ASA) the leather ones performed better than the synthetics. E.g. the Worth Gold Dot leather and Trump Stote leather flew better than Trump Stote synthetic and Demarini Orbit synthetics when I hit with them.

midnite6

Addicted to Softballfans
Try a regular clincher! Only ball allowed in a league near me. 2 innings, and you have a marshmallow

kcbomb

Addicted to Softballfans
Worth Toxic Pro Tac NSA 44 Core 400 lbs. We used them in a tourney last Saturday and after a few hits they were the most stupid rag balls we have ever hit. I mean we were beggng for a SB12.

Anyone ever had the same experience?

mrl112

Smarter than you're
I think it's funny when peple talk about their mush ball .44/375 Dudley THs. They would hate playing around here with all .52/275s. The .52s feel much mushier to me than the .44s, but they're all better than the Wal Mart/Tony the Tiger balls. Anything that noticeably deforms and stays deformed shouldn't even be used in BP, unless you're messing with the guys you're hitting with. :D

The circles around both balls are identical, the ball on the left is just for reference.

CHE5TER

Addicted to Softballfans
most synthetic covered balls are crap. I still don't consider that mush though. To me, mush is either really bouncy or not at all. I can bounce a 40/375 off a hard infield and it will bounce back into my hand. Anything that is almost like a rubber ball or just doesn't bounce at all is mush.

MaverickAH

Try a regular clincher! Only ball allowed in a league near me. 2 innings, and you have a marshmallow

Only ball allowed in most leagues in NYC!

This is why I always laugh at these types of threads. The vast majority here have no clue as to what a true mush ball is like!

warpath

BUTT****ING THE WORLD
Only ball allowed in most leagues in NYC!

This is why I always laugh at these types of threads. The vast majority here have no clue as to what a true mush ball is like!

Yeah this was kinda my point, people start threads about their league switching to a mush ball and they're switching to a 44/375 or something.

10splaya22

Softball scrub
I think it's funny when peple talk about their mush ball .44/375 Dudley THs. They would hate playing around here with all .52/275s. The .52s feel much mushier to me than the .44s, but they're all better than the Wal Mart/Tony the Tiger balls. Anything that noticeably deforms and stays deformed shouldn't even be used in BP, unless you're messing with the guys you're hitting with. :D

The circles around both balls are identical, the ball on the left is just for reference.

I have the same balls on the right. Mine are very lopsided. They are squishy like rubber

coolluvr4u1976

#1 bomb dropper
Mush ball...... any Worth softball, besides SuperDupers and bluedots, reddots.....

I mean i've hit a brandnew 44-375 golddot with 4 hits on it, and the ball was mush!!!!!! and it was straight from the wrapper too....

Or another way to figure your hitting mush is if the ball goes to junk quickly or something then its junk / mush....

IE almost any softball except

Trump
Evils
Decker
Dudley ( besides sb12's )
Mikens

.08ceasar45

Addicted to Softballfans
our league director ordered about 12 dozen classic m's instead of the gold dots 44/375's we usually been using .....never been happier to play at that field in my life! been using the M's since spring and it will be sad when we go back to the gold dot for indoor soon .

TX Slugger

Wannabe softball Jedi
Anything that says Classic M and is used in Texas in the late spring/summer/early fall.

Seriously, the Dudley ZN's are great balls and we haven't had many problems with those at all. Everything else we've expiramented with or seen many teams use has been crap. I'm looking forward to checking out the .52s whenever we can get our hands on some.

Nickelnutz

Addicted to Softballfans
We use Easton Softstitch Incrediballs in our co-ed 3-pitch "mush ball" league. Things are like sponges right out of the wrapper.

Muscles220

Addicted to Softballfans
Classic M's flat out suck! .40/325 yuck! All my old school metal had to take a back seat to the Catty against em.

Skov18

Stuck in E Ball
Toxic Classic Ms suck in the summer heat but when it's cooler out they're nice. They're way softer than the MAXSPECs we were using last year. Those were awesome.

BigShep

Who's Your Daddy!
all i want to know is

how could the cover of the ball (synthetic or leather) be the cause of a ball going to mush
Actually, with synthetics there's less friction between the cover and the core, causing cover slippage which reduces performance. So it's not that the core is mushy, its that slippage limits the ball's travel. Composite covers and leather covers are supposed to be good, but synthetic covers aren't.

To me, any ball under 350 compression is mush ... but when the COR is jacked up, mushy balls can perform well.