What does hitting the middle mean?

DemPhenom

can someone explain what is meant by hitting the middle? why does the other team get mad when you hit the middle? is there a protocol to hitting the middle?

1pitchwounder

I'm a pitcher and when a team hits the middle I don't get that mad because I've got leather on my hand just like everyone else. With that said most teams I've played on will hit the middle on the other team till that person that hit the middle on me comes up and says sorry. I got **** happens just be a gentleman about it and say sorry it'll go a long way on the field.

DanGer1285

Addicted to Softballfans
It means you're firing the ball back up at the pitcher. It's pretty dirty in co-ed and rec leagues where the skill level is lower, because you run the risk of serious injury if the pitcher doesn't get his (or her? lol not likely) glove up in time or dodge it. A lot of our leagues will call it a dead ball and an out if you hit it at the pitcher.

In competitve play, do what you need to do to get on base. If you blow up the middle and the pitcher is good, you're out easily though.

meat3

Addicted to Softballfans
Some teams get mad and think your hitting at thier pitcher, whether you mean to or not. i think if they are playing pitch and have a glove its not a big deal, but i dont hit middle or hit at someone one on purpose to try and hurt them.

gregbishere

Shutup just Shutup
batter hit ball at pitcher, pitcher looks like this:

ifmages.jpg

p17

SBFs 16th all time poster
I think it's like when you hold up your pointer, middle, and ring fingers and say "peel the banana". Instead, you say "hit the middle".

Spackler

...got that goin for me
In our league middle is open but your not allowed to talk bout hitting middle, like " I guess middle is open now" or you'll get tossed cause its apparantly what is the main reason that starts fights.

DemPhenom

So this is something that happens in higher level leagues because most hitters have to be able to hit middle at will for this to be perceived as intentional then right?

Joker

anyone with a brain knows its part of the field and the pitcher has a glove. its not a big deal

phxraida15

Addicted to Softballfans
So should your feedback

This made me laugh!!!

But back to the subject... If I see a pitcher that can't field middle in league I won't hit at him.. But if he can field our if its a tournament than I will hit middle... Biggest hole on the field!

we do it when they play 4man not 5man and we get teams pissed at us and they say they r going after r pitcher and when they do we laugh cuz thats y we play 5man and we even play it in league

vlcmstnaz

volcom stone az
In our league middle is open but your not allowed to talk bout hitting middle, like " I guess middle is open now" or you'll get tossed cause its apparantly what is the main reason that starts fights.

^^^that's how it is here. as long as no one is talking about it, it's fine.

FLEET

bowling ball nut swanga
When it becomes an issue, it usually means a drama queen is on the rubber. They thrive on that ****. A composed game is unacceptable.

RSPoker

Coach
You would think the lower the level, the more it would be accepted as an accident, since hitters might not be able to know exactly where they were hitting it.

Swilldog

Everyone loves bombs!
people who think its ok to hit middle are people that can not really hit a ball all too hard

Mr. Leo

Addicted to Softballfans
I'm a pitcher and when a team hits the middle I don't get that mad because I've got leather on my hand just like everyone else. With that said most teams I've played on will hit the middle on the other team till that person that hit the middle on me comes up and says sorry. I got **** happens just be a gentleman about it and say sorry it'll go a long way on the field.

I too pitch at times & i respect the players or team that at least apologize for a direct shot back to the Pitcher. 1st time a batter does it ok fine prob a mistake as long as your a man about it. Say & make sure the pitcher hears you say "Hey my bad".

NOW.. If the batter doesnt say anything I tend to let it slide a bit but at least mention it to the other teams coach hey your guy should show a little sportmanship after hitting a direct shot to the pitcher. If the same batter does it again meaning back to back & nothing is said I make sure the ump & player know so that the ump can say something to that player.

I know its a game & understand that can happen acccidentally as well as purposely but it takes a player to be a bigger man & apologize for sending a rocket back to the pitcher but it takes a man to be a bigger ***** to do it over & over w/o them not saying anything.

Show good sportmanship... Thats all.
my 2 cts.
:cool:

meloout18

The Veteran
I pitch in league night and tournament. league night middle is closed... If player or team goes middle on me three times intentionally then my team usually has my back and returns the favor until ump or other team says enough is enough on the middle shots. Tournaments does not matter middles open but same unwritten rule apply go middle more then three times intentionally and its on. Biggest Problem I have is guys using shaved bats and going middle. Its poor sportsmanship but it has become a part of the game so who ever does go middle with a shaved bat will pay the consequences.

ilyk2win

Addicted to Softballfans
I too pitch at times & i respect the players or team that at least apologize for a direct shot back to the Pitcher. 1st time a batter does it ok fine prob a mistake as long as your a man about it. Say & make sure the pitcher hears you say "Hey my bad".

NOW.. If the batter doesnt say anything I tend to let it slide a bit but at least mention it to the other teams coach hey your guy should show a little sportmanship after hitting a direct shot to the pitcher. If the same batter does it again meaning back to back & nothing is said I make sure the ump & player know so that the ump can say something to that player.

I know its a game & understand that can happen acccidentally as well as purposely but it takes a player to be a bigger man & apologize for sending a rocket back to the pitcher but it takes a man to be a bigger ***** to do it over & over w/o them not saying anything.

Show good sportmanship... Thats all.
my 2 cts.
:cool:

Based on your response I am sure you don't catch many of the balls hit at you, but in that rare instance where you actually use your glove, do you aplogize to the batter?

Play at the proper level or play at a position you're capable of playing or don't play the game.

The exception would be if they are using altered bats.....but I'm sure in your mind everyone who hits middle is swinging dirty.

josutton00

Addicted to Softballfans
i consider hitting middle to be a shot over the rubber. We have a glove and its important to come set after every pitch. WHen you dont come set is normally when you get hit.

vlcmstnaz

volcom stone az
Play at the proper level or play at a position you're capable of playing or don't play the game.

The exception would be if they are using altered bats.

i support this statement.

the middle of the field is part of fair territory. i don't aim to injure the pitcher, but i swing at the pitch that is thrown. middle/inside: i'll usually pull, unless there is a gap somewhere that i am specifically aiming for. outside (but still a strike): i'm hitting toward center field. and, depending on the lift that i give the ball, it may go over the pitcher to the OF, or it may be a shot near the pitcher.

middle is part of the game. stop crying about it.

"Hitting the middle" is hitting a ball anywhere within 20' of a pitcher. Even when a four man infield pinches the lines and gives you more than half of the field in the middle of it.

Thanks for making another middle hitting thread. :D