What is a strike?

Crusty

Addicted to Softballfans
Now I know this sounds stupid but here me out. In one of my league nights the ball has to hit the plate or mat. In another league they say if any part of the ball is over the plate or mat when it hits the ground. So if it is out side and hits dirt but the inside edge of the ball is over the mat or plate it is a strike. Which is it according to ASA rules?

DingDinger23

Star Player
anything actually hitting the plate is definitely a ball. A strike in ASA would be anything 6-10' landing beyond the plate without touching it or being excessively deep. Maybe a foot deep of the plate max

andy-rockstar

Living for the Cit-ay
anything actually hitting the plate is definitely a ball. A strike in ASA would be anything 6-10' landing beyond the plate without touching it or being excessively deep. Maybe a foot deep of the plate max

NO!

A strike in ASA, by definition (not necessarily verbatim), is: a pitch between 6 and 10 feet in arc, passing over the plate between the hitter's front knee and back shoulder as if the hitter were standing even with the plate in the batters' box.

Note that it doesn't matter where a pitch lands! Some leagues have their own rules to include a mat behind the plate, or to include a pitch landing on the plate as a strike. Good umpires don't classify pitches as "deep."

To the OP, if it's that close just frickin' swing!

swingaway06

Addicted to Softballfans
Depends on the league interpretation. Around here if you play mat ball without an ump (I hate these leagues BTW) as long as the ball is 6-10 arch and hits the plate or mat it is a strike, anything else is a ball. The leagues I play in all have umps and no mats so the plate is a ball, anything that lands behind the plate and inbetween the batter box line and no deeper than the back of the batter's box is a strike. Sometimes it's open for interpretation because some umps will give the pitcher the chalk line or a touch deep depending on the ump but never a ball that hits the plate is a strike.