What is the best glove size for a slowpitch SS?

Country469

the ball is bigger around then most men's fists........most people just have slow hands and coordination and then get mad about it and blame the glove. Even C players.

CajunDude

you mad bro?

Nope, not mad bro, just wondering why you singled out my response and made it personal.

the ball is bigger around then most men's fists........most people just have slow hands and coordination and then get mad about it and blame the glove. Even C players.

And, I've never blamed my glove for anything my friend. Unless the lacing broke, which has happened, anything I've missed has been my fault. You don't know me from the man on the moon buddy, not sure why you think you know me.

Country469

1. You're mad
2. You quoted me off the jump, so why you are wondering is making me wonder
3. You're not T.I.P.
4. You're mad

CajunDude

1. You're mad
2. You quoted me off the jump, so why you are wondering is making me wonder
3. You're not T.I.P.
4. You're mad

Again, not mad. No reason to be. This is a softball website with a bunch of guys I don't know talking about - SOFTBALL. Not really much there to get "mad" about. So, no, not mad.

And, you're right, I did quote you right away but only because I didn't agree with your assessment that "the bigger the glove, the better" and the comment about double-plays. I only quoted you to add clarity to the comments I was going to make. I believe your comments were the first to get a little personal: "If you have trouble finding a 12 inch ball in a glove, its because you have bad form or are clumsy. Or your hands are child sized."

Not sure what "You're not T.I.P" means so - whatever.

And, one more time for the cheap seats, I'm not mad.

CajunDude

Don't worry, it was just facts - something I'm sure you're not real familiar with. It would just cloud your superiority thoughts I'm sure.

CajunDude

Yeah, that's it. I'm sure you're an A ball player right? But hey, just resort to crude insults like every other internet hero who does that. Enjoy your "stud" life you've created in your mind for yourself.

TonyB

Addicted to Softballfans
I recently went from a 12 3/4" to a 14" playing third, SS, and bucket, and I like the change.

blakcherry329

Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought I saw something over the weekend.
I flipping through the TV, over the weekend, and notice Dustin Pedroia's glove. It's friggin huge for an infielder, let alone a second baseman.

Am I seeing things or does his glove look like a souvenir glove? lol

KingTheTyrant

I play SS mostly and use a 13" glove. Never had any problems trying to get the ball out of my glove. I think the most important thing is comfort.

frankiepeters22

I play SS and use a 12" Nokona, absolutely love the glove, and to me is perfect for the position. I'm sure, being 6'4" 200lbs, a bigger glove would fit, but I've always been a fan of smaller gloves. Gives me more feel. I guess same reason I don't use batting gloves and what-not. I've seen 3rd basemen playing hardball with a 13" glove, so I don't think it's all crazy to be rocking that in softball.

PercyChuggs

Totally disagree here. It's not just about trying to turn a double play but being able to get the ball out of the pocket quickly on just about every time you touch it. Cut off throws, ground balls, etc..... An extra inch or two isn't going to really help you reach ground balls that you couldn't before.

Softballs are pretty damn big. You would need giant, oversized novelty mitt to not be able to get the ball out of the pocket.

CajunDude

Softballs are pretty damn big. You would need giant, oversized novelty mitt to not be able to get the ball out of the pocket.

FYI, posted later.........

Come on man, do you even play the IF? I never said you wouldn't be able to find the ball in the pocket but, if there's less glove to worry about, it makes it easier. It's not like I have to go rummaging around in my glove to get the ball. I've used a larger glove in the IF and to me, the smaller glove is easier and better for the necessary quick transfers and transition from catch to throw in the IF.

And those 5 ground balls in one league game that hit a glove and popped out wouldn't have been any different with an extra 1/2 to 1 inch of glove my friend. The tip of the web gets less rigid the bigger the web so...... if you can't field it cleanly, you can't field it cleanly. Just sayin......

Hiltz

Built for comfort
Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought I saw something over the weekend.
I flipping through the TV, over the weekend, and notice Dustin Pedroia's glove. It's friggin huge for an infielder, let alone a second baseman.

Am I seeing things or does his glove look like a souvenir glove? lol

I think it just looks big because he's not.

He's a small guy and he leaves a lot of his hand outside his glove.