What is the worst injury you suffered in softball or witnessed?

gsus03

Banned User
3 weeks ago had a blowout fracture of my orbital bone and sinus...facial reconstruction and and titanium plate inserted in my face. Thank God I have a cheekone again...Playing 3rd, ball to my left, took a bad hop, came up and over towards me. DONE

Pics or it didn't happen...I see so many bad hops now I have tried on 4 different masks to use while playing infield and none have been comfortable at all But I'm going to get one soon, a mouth piece just isn't enough

bpierce208

Addicted to Softballfans
Pics or it didn't happen...I see so many bad hops now I have tried on 4 different masks to use while playing infield and none have been comfortable at all But I'm going to get one soon, a mouth piece just isn't enough

What would you like to see? Hospital bed, right after it happened pic?

Day it happened:

Break1.jpg

Day after surgery:

Break3.jpg

Last edited:

scabnews

Addicted to Softballfans
Broken tibia painted ultra in batting practice from teammate. Learned to play catcher.

Laoch

Bearded. Drunk. Dominant.
Batters box at city league field has some kind of foam under the sand to keep it level. First game took off hard on a grounder and the ground gave, strained my left quad and played 3rd base hurt for 3 weeks.

GrinningBear

World's deadliest house husband
I can think of two. One was at a complex that didn't like to maintain their facilities. There was this rubber "mat" (for lack of a better term) under the batter's boxes to aid in drainage. Very similar situation to Laoch's experience. Lefty is up, takes a huge hack at the ball, and gets his cleat caught. His body continues twisting and the force breaks his leg. I was umping the bases and I could hear it all the way from there.

The second was less gruesome but more tragic. I couldn't see the entire play, but what I did see was a player sliding into third on a close play. Players gather around him when he didn't move for about a minute. He died on the spot of a heart attack.

cremory8

Addicted to Softballfans
I think I was either 17 or 18 years old. I'm on deck. Batter in front of me had been complaining for a few games about his knee hurting (if I remember right, he had knee surgery several years earlier). Anyways, he's wearing about a 10 year old pair of cleats, goes to swing and when he pushes off his back leg (his bad knee) his cleat comes apart, sole goes one way, his knee goes another. Guy dropped the bat mid swing and lets out a yell unlike any I've ever heard. He had torn every ligament in the knee, aparently had previous injured his MCL before the swing.

Benched02

Addicted to Softballfans
Nothing major, I bruised my sciatic nerve when the 3rd baseman on the opposing team decided he wanted to run me over trying to tag me while I was sliding into the base. Kicked me straight in the tail bone area. I couldn't sit or twist my torso without pain for what seemed like forever. Also bruised my ribs running to catch a fly ball to the fence at a BLD complex. OF fences blow at these complexes by the way. Teammate decided to keep trying for the ball even after I called it. For some reason he did a slide at the warning track I stepped on his ankle, lost the ball and flew into the fence. Couldn't run/breathe deeply for weeks after that. Ive never seen anything major from anyone other than a teammate diving for a foul ball slid into the fence and broke his wrist.

Nothing better showing up to work on Monday all screwed up, saying it happened playing softball.

Redneck13

Getting old SUCKS!!
In high school playing baseball. Playing the outfield and looking directly into the sun. I told the coach the sun sucked and I hope I dont get hit in the face. Yep, 2 innings later a solid hit came my way and lost it in the sun. Tried to block the sun with my glove and bam, right in the nose. Shattered and had to have it rebuilt. 3 weeks out of school and a hell of a story. Funny thing was, it never hurt until I woke up in the recovery room after surgery.

Pinky12

I love teh PINK!
Tore my acl and medial miniscus in my right knee playing effing coed of all things. Was on first and took a big lead, practically running for second, when girl behind me lined to short. I planted to go back to first and my knee begged to differ. Foot slid just enough and my knee popped. Attempted to pitch next inning but had no stability whatsoever on my right leg. My next ab I would've been the third out of the inning if I didn't hit so I went up like the karate kid doing the crane and smacked one to right. Would've easily been an inside the park hr but I gimped my way to first. That gave us the lead cuz I knocked in 2 but we lost anyways in the end

select_22

The Veteran
these stories of pitchers is why i went and bought a helmet when one league team asked me to pitch full time. (did it 2 games last year when couldnt run on spained ankle).

I will keep wearing it even if i catch **** from the redneck women cheering on the other team "pitcher wearing a helmet bahahah, ours doesnt what a wimp" I just laughed and responded i enjoy the way my face looks and have to go to work tomorrow.

I then took a ball off the top of knee cap.

boilerup

Starting Player
Posted this a little while back. It's been a year and a half since. I'm about 80-85%.

Playing indoor. Covering first and batter did a feet first slide into first and that's all she wrote...

e-dub

A buddy slid late into the 3rd base bag and completely dislocated his ankle at a tourney. By far the worst injury that I ever witnessed on the field.

Fin09

Addicted to Softballfans
Saw a pitcher take a line drive right above the eye, cutting him, took 9 stitches to close. That happened last year. This past weekend, saw a pitcher take a line drive off his wrist that flew to the second baseman in the air, who caught it for the out. Pitcher, after about 10 minutes on the ground, got up and got the next hitter to fly out to end he game. We all thought something was broken. He pitched their next game, and late in the game, got hit at again. This one was coming in pretty hot, and when he went to get his glove in front of it, he HIT HIMSELF IN THE OYSTERS! Again, on the ground for longer than the last time, tried to get up 3 times, fell back down. They had to cart him off in an ambulance. I still don't know if he lost one of the boys or not.

Piggyn

SBF Janitor
This summer a guy on my work team took a line drive to the eye socket. He had to get facial reconstructive surgery and lost the eye... it ruptured and had bone fragments in it.

Personally, the worst injury I've had was catching a fence post on my thigh while making a leaping over the shoulder catch in foul territory. I didn't break anything, but had a gigantic bruise for a long time.

Pinky12

I love teh PINK!
My wife did reconstructive surgery on a guy yesterday who took a ball to the eye. As soon as she got home last night she made me show her my pitching helmet lol

I took this shot off the chest earlier this year and was lucky it hit me where it did. I'm usually quicker on the mound, but I was slightly tired from playing all day. This pic was from 3 days after it happened. Luckily I used to have some muscles under there so it honestly didn't hurt. It was pretty tender and sore for a while afterwards. The guy gave himself up but I was able to pick it up and throw him out anyway. Took a few seconds for the adrenaline to wear off, but I pitched the rest of that game and then the next for the championship and won.

chestshot.jpg

89FoxBody

Addicted to Softballfans
Worst thing I've witnessed is a dislocated shoulder...6' 160lb shortstop vs 5'9" 240lb outfielder...sounded sickening.

Galpejos56

Addicted to Softballfans
Saw It tonight. Waiting for the game before ours to end, and a guy hit a pop up to shallow left center. LCF and SS both sprinting to the ball and collided. SS has a broken jaw and abroken wrist. LCF got the worst of it. Broken Femur, Broken ribs, broken jaw, and a fractured skull. They had to call in the paramedics. Both were carted off the field in the ambulance. Sounded like hitting a tree with a wooden bat. I hope they both recover and can play again.

SYNERGY2

Manager
Playing 2b, tore PCL this year running for flyball in foul territory. The infield is very well kept but it has that nice dip into the outfield. Felt like i took a .50 caliber to the back of the leg. Trying to run after felt like the lower half of my leg was attached by a rubber band.

figuringitout

Addicted to Softballfans
friend took his swing and while his hips rotated his knee stayed in place...until it popped out. he hit the dirt immediately. had to call the ambulance. dislocated knee cap.

cjstang34

Buckshot
Playing third, jumped to catch the ball from a bad throw, landed. The runner slide head first into my leg broke the tib (lower leg bone right below knee at top). I got back up fall down, got carried off, then used bat as cane to go to plate and hit, hit walked to bag with bat as cane. Then umpire would not let me play anymore, guys wife took me to doc, found out about broke leg and tissues tears. 4 screws and two knee surgeries later back to abt 80% now and been playing again since feb, when it happen last yr in aug

Pumacat35

Professional Hitter
Broken Left thumb

Hit pitching this year at state and had a huge bruise on the inside of my right thigh