What is your softball kryptonite?

JN137

What's the one thing, no matter how miniscule or ridiculous that just always screws up your game? A specific field is bad luck? Playing at night? Playing when your wife and girlfriend show up at the same time?

Mine: I am weird about my feet, so when the batter's box is screwed up it messes with me big time. If I can't find a comfy spot, it's already in my head I will struggle all day. It's the one thing I just can't seem to get over, and why I always prefer playing on turf.

UncleMosk

If I have pocket change in my game pants, I'm screwed!

Started years ago noticed that if had even a penny in my pocket, would be an off day @ plate. The local convenience store loves me on game day, they get tipped now.

ShortYellowBus

Probably having twelve or more guys.

Since I usually run the teams I play on, I’ll sit a few innings defensively. It absolutely craters my confidence at the plate.

With that said, being late also affects me. Playing cold with no warm up absolutely ruins my ability to perform.

And forgetting my glove and using a loaner. That sucks.

blakcherry329

Windy, cold weather. The older I get, the worse I play in those conditions. Worst case is at a tourny when I'm sitting for multiple hours between games.
This is definitely mine, too. My old knuckles don't bend in cold weather. Well they bend, but not enough to throw a consistent knuckleball. On the flip side, I can pitch all day in 100deg weather. The hotter the better.

Hitting-wise high pitches suck, big time.

stang7222

Addicted to Softballfans
Dry infields. Before the first ball is even hit to me, it's in my head that the ball is gonna take bad hops. I inevitably boot the first ball, bad hop or not. Then it really gets to me. After a few years I've learned to just pull myself out as soon as I notice it happening. I'm a natural OF so it really doesn't affect anyone much when a mediocre SS goes to the OF where he's actually decent.

defos

Windy, cold weather. The older I get, the worse I play in those conditions. Worst case is at a tourny when I'm sitting for multiple hours between games.
This, especially wind. Our opening day was last Sunday. 50 degrees would have been tolerable if it had been calm and sunny, but it was overcast with 30 mph wind gusting to 40. I hate wind even if I'm not playing ball. It just makes every outdoor activity miserable. On top of that, I had been just sitting for 2 weeks nursing an ankle/foot issue, and then my wife was in the hospital last week. I was totally unprepared to play, and wouldn't have if we'd had another guy available.

hitless45

Addicted to Softballfans
It used to be teammates who took me out of my zen either through not playing smart, being selfish or just being annoying.

These days it’s old age…..
This.. the teammates thing. The age ehh can't avoid that, mistakes can be.

ninerempire25

Addicted to Softballfans
My Mind...

I'll hit good during BP but when it comes to hitting during a game my good mechanics are out the window . Very Frustrating

scottydoesnt

Extra Hitter
I honestly can't say I have a kryptonite. But I normally will hit a mid season slump every year. Which for me batting leadoff is going 1-4, 2-5, etc. That leads into overthinking my at bats and trying goofy stuff to try and get on base. Hitting off a tee in the backyard, and taking pitches always seems to help.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
I honestly can't say I have a kryptonite. But I normally will hit a mid season slump every year. Which for me batting leadoff is going 1-4, 2-5, etc. That leads into overthinking my at bats and trying goofy stuff to try and get on base. Hitting off a tee in the backyard, and taking pitches always seems to help.

I do this as well. Usually late July or early Aug, when it's the hottest time of the year, and I'm at maximum fatigue.

It's harder to hit in the middle of the summer than it is in spring or fall. Your body's tired, and the ball turns dead and pillowy.

blakcherry329

I do this as well. Usually late July or early Aug, when it's the hottest time of the year, and I'm at maximum fatigue.

It's harder to hit in the middle of the summer than it is in spring or fall. Your body's tired, and the ball turns dead and pillowy.
I'm just the opposite. July and August are my best months because I love the heat. I can pitch all day in 100deg. I guess my old bones feel looser in the heat, plus I sweat like Patrick Ewing in the 4th quarter, so I never overheat or cramp up(well not until the ride home :) then I may have to stop at a rest stop to rehydrate cuz my legs and hand is contracting uncontrollably, but I digress).:p

etnstudios

Addicted to Softballfans
I'm just the opposite. July and August are my best months because I love the heat. I can pitch all day in 100deg. I guess my old bones feel looser in the heat, plus I sweat like Patrick Ewing in the 4th quarter, so I never overheat or cramp up(well not until the ride home :) then I may have to stop at a rest stop to rehydrate cuz my legs and hand is contracting uncontrollably, but I digress).:p
gross

What's the one thing, no matter how miniscule or ridiculous that just always screws up your game? A specific field is bad luck? Playing at night? Playing when your wife and girlfriend show up at the same time?

Mine: I am weird about my feet, so when the batter's box is screwed up it messes with me big time. If I can't find a comfy spot, it's already in my head I will struggle all day. It's the one thing I just can't seem to get over, and why I always prefer playing on turf.
Players that don't understand the infield fly rule.