What makes the 2013 bats so hot?

JPritch

Addicted to Softballfans
I've been reading about how hot the new 2013 bats are compared to even beast OG bats. So just wondering what it is about the new bats that makes them so hot compared to older ones? Are they thinner walled, is it the material, etc...?

jf2k4

<font color="#3300FF">Outstanding Good Dealer</fon
Thinner walled and the composites already tighter since they're pre-broken in.

snakeyes711

Addicted to Softballfans
So what'd they change? for different testing procedures? I seen a "ASA only"??? too hot for USSSA? WHAT? is that serious?

jf2k4

<font color="#3300FF">Outstanding Good Dealer</fon
They allow for a higher level of compression on the test because they lowered the assumed swing speed by 5mph.

fierce_gt

Addicted to Softballfans
So what'd they change? for different testing procedures? I seen a "ASA only"??? too hot for USSSA? WHAT? is that serious?

this is probably the easiest thing to search for right now since it's been in every discussion lately, but...

the kept the 98mph rebound speed limit, but reduced the speed the ball is fired at the bat by 5mph, and changed the ball to a 52/300.

end result, it's kind of like comparing a bat swung by your best player on your team(2004asa) and a bat swung by an average hitter on your team(2013asa) when they are both able to hit exactly the same BBS/distance.

naturally the average hitter must use a hotter bat to make up for the loss in swing speed.

snakeyes711

Addicted to Softballfans
haha, ok. So they test ball speed of 100mph, rebound must be less then 98mph, not equal too.

new test they test 95 mph, and rebound speed can't be greater then 98mph? ...WOW then I'm getting that new black mutant!!!

Gamble

Addicted to Softballfans
haha, ok. So they test ball speed of 100mph, rebound must be less then 98mph, not equal too.

new test they test 95 mph, and rebound speed can't be greater then 98mph? ...WOW then I'm getting that new black mutant!!!

Where on Earth did you get these numbers from?

If they test fired a ball at 95mph, having an upper performance limit of 98mph would be laughable nonsense. Or the basis for one of the greatest discoveries of human history. One of the two.

No, the old test simulated a 25mph pitch + 85mph bat speed, whereas the new test simulates a 25mph pitch + 80mph bat speed. Both allow the same 98mph upper limit on batted ball speed.

fierce_gt

Addicted to Softballfans
Where on Earth did you get these numbers from?

If they test fired a ball at 95mph, having an upper performance limit of 98mph would be laughable nonsense. Or the basis for one of the greatest discoveries of human history. One of the two.

No, the old test simulated a 25mph pitch + 85mph bat speed, whereas the new test simulates a 25mph pitch + 80mph bat speed. Both allow the same 98mph upper limit on batted ball speed.

THANK YOU. faith in humanity restored:p

snakeyes711

Addicted to Softballfans
uh, ok. So they test fired the ball at over a hundred mph, and the batted ball speed was what?...See post above. lol it used to be +/-2mph.