WHAT MOTIVATES YOU?: Liking winning or hating losing?

chrometip78

The Hungarian Barbarian
Playing the best that I can.

Winning is great and losing sucks but I start messing up my game when I focus too much on what my teammates are doing. Just focus on my best, tell my teammates what I think they need to hear, and I'm usually having a good time. Trying to pick up mopey bitches feeling sorry for themselves is much worse than losing a competitive game to a better team.

zuke 37

Star Player
i had a dream.....i was in the woods...in front of me were lions tigers, and bears oh my.....to my right were the tale-ban...
to my left were the viet-cong.....behind me were some raptors and some t-rexes...but i knew i wasn't going to die.....

because i wasn't on third base......... sometimes you win, sometimes you loose....

i am happy to win, but after a loss i never went home and kicked my dog.

scrub

Addicted to Softballfans
It's a team sport. I try not to make any outs or errors and keep my teammates up. Thats all that is within my power and I don't worry about what is not.

As far as motivation, I've had a lifetime of playing sports and having alpha coaches scream sports cliches and rhetoric at me by now to have it instilled permanently. You play hard because thats just what you do, hell if I know why but thats the way it is and DON'T QUESTION IT OR YOU'RE RUNNING 20 POLES PUNK!!!!

vlcmstnaz

volcom stone az
This should be a poll. I enjoy playing. I can have a good time in Rec league, win or lose. But I'd always prefer to win. In a competitive arena, I hate to lose. Winning is good, but losing SUCKS!

slick303

B(.)(.)BS
I would rather lose a full hard fought game that goes too the wire than win by run rule in the first or second inning. I like to play.

killer mike

Addicted to Softballfans

Winning is great and losing sucks but I start messing up my game when I focus too much on what my teammates are doing. Just focus on my best, tell my teammates what I think they need to hear, and I'm usually having a good time. Trying to pick up mopey bitches feeling sorry for themselves is much worse than losing a competitive game to a better team.

"Its all mental, its all mental, its all mental"......lol

killer mike

Addicted to Softballfans
Personally I hate losing. Its always nice to have a double header to make up for it.

Played a tourney where we were drubbed 15-0. Our team just could not get it together after a two hour break between games. Played same team in the ship and beat them 28-10. Hot damn it feels good to not go home angry and vindicating yourself as a team!

fierce_gt

Addicted to Softballfans
win or lose, it's softball, I don't really care. fortunately, I have enough going on in my life that the results of a recreational sport don't dictate my success.

what motivates me is the social aspect of the game. and we don't have to be winning to be social, it's more about how we play. as long as we play well, we all have fun. it's always a better time playing well and getting beaten by a better team, than playing like crap and still winning because the other team was terrible.

I coach a lot of teams, and I often tell them 'if you can't enjoy the game when you lose, you'll never be good enough to win'. I think even if you're competitive, you have to focus on what YOU do, and how you can get better. some day somebody might be better, and you just have to accept that, and train harder for the next time.

Last edited:
I'm starting my 21st year of this sport so the W's and L's dont really do much for me anymore. Yes, I want the W and still hate the L but for me its tough to get really motivated to play. What I like to do is pick an area of the field before the game and then try and hit there every time. A little game inside the game for me.

Madbeers

Boss Awesomesauce

Same. Always want to improve.

ddoubler

Addicted to Softballfans
I enjoy the competition. I know that you aren't going to win all the games you play and sometimes you go 0-2, but for me, I try to associate myself with teams that have a chance of being top 5 in 80% of the tournaments we play. Some might think that's not a an acceptable standard and winning isn't the main reason of playing ball. While winning is secondary to me to a degree, I also know its a lot more fun to win then lose. Softball is a time commitment to us all and when I decide to spend my time at the park its going to be with cool teammates and a team that is almost always there at the end.

What I cant stand is not getting a hit. It burns me up inside when I don't get on. Most of the time in softball, the reason you don't get a hit is because of something you did. I know its not feasible to get on every time, but to me not getting on is unacceptable.

Dogue

Evil Genius
I play for the free t-shirts.

And, being in a place where it's socially acceptable to wear my cup is a plus.

Last edited:
win or lose, it's softball, I don't really care. fortunately, I have enough going on in my life that the results of a recreational sport don't dictate my success.

what motivates me is the social aspect of the game. and we don't have to be winning to be social, it's more about how we play. as long as we play well, we all have fun. it's always a better time playing well and getting beaten by a better team, than playing like crap and still winning because the other team was terrible.

I coach a lot of teams, and I often tell them 'if you can't enjoy the game when you lose, you'll never be good enough to win'. I think even if you're competitive, you have to focus on what YOU do, and how you can get better. some day somebody might be better, and you just have to accept that, and train harder for the next time.

This. It's all about playing the best you can and having a good time with your team.