ASA What should the ump have done - ancient history

eddieq

The Great and Powerful Q
OK, I guess this is directed at you seasoned umpires. A buddy of mine and I were catching up and discussing "old times" when he mentioned an incident at a softball game. This probably happened 20 years ago, but I'm curious as to what the proper action should have been by you fine men in blue ;)

Situation - we're playing a league game, we are at bat and one of our guys smacks a stand up double that he stretches to a triple. There was a play on him at the bag and it was close, but the umpire ruled him safe. Their left fielder went nuts, spouting off, hollering about the "bad call", etc. Finally, he said, "Hey Ump! Pearl Vision has two for 100 bucks glasses!" and the ump said, "That's enough, you're gone!". The left fielder just started laughing at him and basically wouldn't come off the field. Eventually the umpire just said, "whatever, let's play". We ended up winning the game and I'm not bitching that he didn't make the guy leave, but what would/should an umpire do in that situation where a player is ejected and refuses to leave?

buckster

Addicted to Softballfans
Tell the team manager/coach the ejected player has to leave the field or his/her team forfeits the game. Simple... and it's in most rulebooks so the team can't argue when you call the game.

eddieq

The Great and Powerful Q
Makes sense to me. Like I said, we ultimately won the game, so it had no real affect, other than me still thinking about it for over 20 years :D

hookumsnivy

Addicted to Softballfans
^^^ what he said.
I haven't been umping long enough to know if that would have applied 20 years ago though.

egibree

Addicted to Softballfans
Would have told the managaer the team forfits if he doesnt get off the field......

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
^^^ what he said.
I haven't been umping long enough to know if that would have applied 20 years ago though.

Yep, the rule was in place back then as well.

Best thing to do is to get their coach/manager and tell them, "coach, that player has gotta go." Don't warn them about calling a forfeit if the coach complies. The coach probably already knows that, and you don't want to come across as being anxious to call the game. The situation will only deteriorate from there.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
Didnt say anything about a warning

If a player runs his mouth bad enough to an umpire, he doesn't get a warning.

I've got a rule. I don't care if you don't like my calls. That's part of the game. But if you make it a personal thing, OR if you challenge my integrity or impartiality, I'll dump you in a heartbeat.

KenD17

Fantasy Football Expert
I've got a rule. I don't care if you don't like my calls. That's part of the game. But if you make it a personal thing, OR if you challenge my integrity or impartiality, I'll dump you in a heartbeat.

Right there with you. I remind the managers when going over the ground rules that in-game rules discussions are to be kept civil. I don't tolerate and name calling and I have a very quick hook when it comes to insulting me on a personal level. Questioning the accuracy of the call is GTG; questioning my ethics or competency is not.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
Right there with you. I remind the managers when going over the ground rules that in-game rules discussions are to be kept civil. I don't tolerate and name calling and I have a very quick hook when it comes to insulting me on a personal level. Questioning the accuracy of the call is GTG; questioning my ethics or competency is not.

I do something slightly similar in my pre-game conference. It usually goes like this (and in a calm, casual, friendly tone):

"If you've got a question about one of our calls, that's fine. I just ask that you call time, and we'll talk about it, no big deal. If you'd like us to go to each other for help, go to the umpire who made the call and ask him/her to do so."

I just don't want to say anything that could be construed as being defensive. I want coaches to view me as receptive and approachable.

eddieq

The Great and Powerful Q
I do something slightly similar in my pre-game conference. It usually goes like this (and in a calm, casual, friendly tone):

"If you've got a question about one of our calls, that's fine. I just ask that you call time, and we'll talk about it, no big deal. If you'd like us to go to each other for help, go to the umpire who made the call and ask him/her to do so."

I just don't want to say anything that could be construed as being defensive. I want coaches to view me as receptive and approachable.

I call bull. Everyone knows that umpires are all megalomaniacs bent on controlling the game and deciding the outcome based on who buys him the beer at the end of the game. :rolleyes: :D