What softballs to use?

Brian Train

I am sure this is posted somewhere but I could not find it. Is the NX3's balls better than the tattoo composite balls? We use the 53/300 . We have used tattoo balls for the last couple years and they have worked really well for use.

chrometip78

The Hungarian Barbarian
If you're buying them with your own money and planning to keep them long as possble, I'd pick the nx3 for durability with performance. If they're going to be going over the fence and disappearing I'd pick whichever is cheaper.

chrometip78

The Hungarian Barbarian
I haven't hit the 52 nx3's so I couldn't tell you that specifically. I have hit the 44/375 nx3 and found they perform better.

53ksm

Manager
I bought some of the nx3 52's for bp. In my opinion they fly the same as a composite covered tattoo that we have hit at tourneys. The nice thing about the nx3 is they are waterproof. I have also noticed that the nx3 balls haven't gotten soft or out of round.

chrometip78

The Hungarian Barbarian
Same experience here, those are the biggest pluses for me as I have them for BP where durability is right up there with performance.

Our parks are on the smallish side (250-330') and often wet. These ball's bounce off fences, buildings, concrete, and asphalt without tearing and don't get waterlogged like every other ball I've had.

Also haven't had one egg up or soften yet, really tough ball.

Dan411

Star Player
So really just a durability difference? No performance difference?
I have hit them side by side with composite cover and leather cover, and we have agreed they do perform better than traditional 52's. Nothing outlandish, but a few feet farther. Have to love the durability too!

BigWhiffa

Underwear Researcher
my only issue with the nx3's is that the markings smudge off them pretty good. 2 games in and i have 1 ball who's asa stamp is completely gone/unreadable and another where it will be within a few games.

considering i've not seen a ton of their usage in this area, i'm a smidge worried they'll start getting tossed.

Dan411

Star Player
my only issue with the nx3's is that the markings smudge off them pretty good. 2 games in and i have 1 ball who's asa stamp is completely gone/unreadable and another where it will be within a few games.

considering i've not seen a ton of their usage in this area, i'm a smidge worried they'll start getting tossed.

Valid concern for sure. They are such a unique ball. Hopefully most umpires are aware of them, and even without a legible stamp, would let you game them. The harder/different sanction NX3's have different color "stitching" don't they?

53ksm

Manager
We hit tattoo synthetic covered 52's in league and I have some nx3 52's that I bp. It is my experience that if you square either one of them up right on the stamp you will smudge them. Yes the different sanctioned balls listed on the a.d. starr website have different colored stitching.

tattooball

The stamp problem was fixed 2years ago, they don't smudge as bad as composites or synthetics. I have balls from 2014,2015,2016 and 2017 all in the same bag and they all still hit the same.

BigWhiffa

Underwear Researcher
i must of bought old ones then, because these ones are horrible. regarding smudges only.

the ball flies.

Country469

if you were to google or use the search function in theory, one might find a more realistic time frame for some issues IJS