What would you do? Keep swinging it or use it in bp only?

1SLOW90GT

Addicted to Softballfans
I've got a STOCK Miken Nrg 600 that I've had for 4 years. The bats probably got 3,500-4,000 swings on it. So, I played in a tournament a few weeks ago and the director had a compression tester there. I have always been curious if a well broken in STOCK bat would fail. So I asked him to check it for me. Yep.... failed. I tell him it's stock and 4 years old. He informs me it's still illegal and I can't swing it.

I emailed Miken about this and their response was,"if you love your bat only swing it in practice". So, basically buy a bat, put thousands of swings on it and when it gets to it's best performance, throw it in the trash........

TonyB

Addicted to Softballfans
It's stock, keep swinging it. There's nothing in the USSSA rule book about compression testing.

p17

SBFs 16th all time poster
Just swing it dude. If they tell you to put it away, then put it away. And stop stressing that it's STOCK, it makes you look like you're trying to cover something up

d.stars

Addicted to Softballfans
As long as you know it's STOCK you should have never anything. Who cares what other people think of your bat. At least you know it's stock.

ilyk2win

Addicted to Softballfans
It's stock, keep swinging it. There's nothing in the USSSA rule book about compression testing.

Nothing about compression testing but there are rules that bats are not to exceed 1.20 bpf.....and the compression is one way to determine if a bat is likely to exceed that performance limit. Nobody said your bat was dirty, just that it is likely to exceed ALLOWABLE performance standards. Most guys would swing it.....but your bat has been identified now and if you were to injure someone with a batted ball they could have grounds to suspend you under their guidelines.

Doesn't matter how a bat got to the point of exceeding limits, but if it does it isn't allowed in play. Pretty simple.....

TonyB

Addicted to Softballfans
Nothing about compression testing but there are rules that bats are not to exceed 1.20 bpf.....and the compression is one way to determine if a bat is likely to exceed that performance limit. Nobody said your bat was dirty, just that it is likely to exceed ALLOWABLE performance standards. Most guys would swing it.....but your bat has been identified now and if you were to injure someone with a batted ball they could have grounds to suspend you under their guidelines.

Doesn't matter how a bat got to the point of exceeding limits, but if it does it isn't allowed in play. Pretty simple.....
Rule 2, Section 2
D. The performance standard for all non-wooden bats will be a Bat Performance
Factor (BPF) of 1.20, or less under the ASTM BPF test as applied under the standard USSSA Bat License Agreement. A list of those bats licensed and complying
with this standard and therefore legal in USSSA play shall be kept by USSSA
and published and made available by means including, but not limited to, the
USSSA website. Only bats on the published list will be legal for USSSA play. In
addition, no bat shall be legal in USSSA play unless it is marked “USSSA BPF
1.20”; bats manufactured before January 1, 2004, are to be marked “1.20 BPF”
or BPF 1.20.
It says that bats on the list are legal, it doesn't say that once they're broken in beyond the 1.20 BPF they're no longer legal.

ilyk2win

Addicted to Softballfans
Rule 2, Section 2It says that bats on the list are legal, it doesn't say that once they're broken in beyond the 1.20 BPF they're no longer legal.

Reread it....it says 1.20 OR LESS. They have determined that bats that fall below a certain compression exceed 1.20. That means they aren't legal ;)

TonyB

Addicted to Softballfans
Reread it....it says 1.20 OR LESS. They have determined that bats that fall below a certain compression exceed 1.20. That means they aren't legal ;)
I re-read it. It says "A list of those bats licensed and complying with this standard and therefore legal in USSSA play shall be kept by USSSA and published." There's no mention of compliant, legal bats being re-tested and decertified. Where could I find that?

p17

SBFs 16th all time poster
I re-read it. It says "A list of those bats licensed and complying with this standard and therefore legal in USSSA play shall be kept by USSSA and published." There's no mention of compliant, legal bats being re-tested and decertified. Where could I find that?

There are other rules saying umps can pull bats they deem unsafe/illegal and yada yada yada. Failing a compression test at the field could definitely make the ump or director disallow use of the bat

oilslick58

Addicted to Softballfans
I've got a STOCK Miken Nrg 600 that I've had for 4 years. The bats probably got 3,500-4,000 swings on it. So, I played in a tournament a few weeks ago and the director had a compression tester there. I have always been curious if a well broken in STOCK bat would fail. So I asked him to check it for me. Yep.... failed. I tell him it's stock and 4 years old. He informs me it's still illegal and I can't swing it.

I emailed Miken about this and their response was,"if you love your bat only swing it in practice". So, basically buy a bat, put thousands of swings on it and when it gets to it's best performance, throw it in the trash........

What would I do................

Id buy a demarini Legend or a DS Plague.

x25

Addicted to Softballfans

If it's over 1.20bpf due to break-in, it's NOT complying with the standard.

dgambill85

Banned User

The rule is any bat that falls at or under the limit. Doesn't matter about retesting they have set a standard limit and thus anything that goes over it is illegal. Stop trying to be a smart ass because it isn't working.

GNOLAUM

*insert dope custom title here
from the many threads similar to this i can learn one thing. nrg6oos suck. why? no one has offered to buy it from you.