What would you do?

EdFred

every day I'm shovelin'
Over the past 4 years or so, I subbed for a team, and last fall they asked me if I could play full time because they needed a pitcher, and I said I could do that. This spring they asked ifif I could play with them again and I said sure. Well spring/summer season is ending and I hadn't heard if they were putting a team together or ask me to play. Today I just got an email saying, "I hope everyone is back for fall ball because we are signed up." The worst team in the league (they only won a game because of forfeit) also approached me today and asked if I would pitch for them because they have no one that can pitch and said they would pay me $200 and pick up my share of league fees if I played for them. The team I'm currently with I have to pay my own fees, but they have a shot to win the league. I never hang out with any of the guys outside of softball, so its not like we are off the field friends.

What would you do? Take the money and play against the team you used to play on, or stick with the guys you played with even though you only know them through ball and pay to play?

317Bombs

If it's worth $200 to take the proverbial dump on the team you've played with off and on for four years, then go for it. I'm a big loyalty guy, so I'd stay where I was...plus it's $200 bucks dude.

BIG JOE

One hit left!
you are not teammate worthy if you had to ask this. $200 for 1 season to ruin your name. What if they never play again?

stepup

Coach
Don't ditch the team that brought you. It's 200 bucks. I mean give me a break. If you even had to ask this you should probably go ahead and take the money cause it's obvious where your morals are at.

Play for whatever team makes you happier. It's just like most other things in life. If you worry too much about others you tend to limit yourself. There's nothing wrong with saying to your current team, "Hey, I'm going to be playing with a different team this fall."

I had kind of a similar situation a few years ago. I could have joined a better team with almost a guaranteed championship but I wasn't guaranteed playing time and my friends and family were on my current team. I stayed with my current team because it made me happier to play with my buddies. If I didn't know the people on my team well I would have left and joined the other team because that would have made me happier.

Nothing wrong with being happy :)

fitzpats

AKA - The Anti Ringer
Y'all are missing the most important piece of information! He needs the $200 to support a day's worth of his meth habit!

stickin2j

Good clean family fun
Desperado is paying people to play now? wow. GL in the fall season

Wow.............
tshirt-m-boom-Black-art-280.gif

twinsdad23

Addicted to Softballfans
Over the past 4 years or so, I subbed for a team, and last fall they asked me if I could play full time because they needed a pitcher, and I said I could do that. This spring they asked ifif I could play with them again and I said sure. Well spring/summer season is ending and I hadn't heard if they were putting a team together or ask me to play. Today I just got an email saying, "I hope everyone is back for fall ball because we are signed up." The worst team in the league (they only won a game because of forfeit) also approached me today and asked if I would pitch for them because they have no one that can pitch and said they would pay me $200 and pick up my share of league fees if I played for them. The team I'm currently with I have to pay my own fees, but they have a shot to win the league. I never hang out with any of the guys outside of softball, so its not like we are off the field friends.

What would you do? Take the money and play against the team you used to play on, or stick with the guys you played with even though you only know them through ball and pay to play?

I would play with the team that I already agreed to play with.

Laoch

Bearded. Drunk. Dominant.
Well spring/summer season is ending and I hadn't heard if they were putting a team together or ask me to play. Today I just got an email saying, "I hope everyone is back for fall ball because we are signed up."

Take the money. They didn't care to call you.

dremersvision

Addicted to Softballfans
It's all on you op.

Imho, i would much rather lose and be good friends with some guys vs. win and not know much about anyone on the team and my views are the same as far as money goes.

HrBump13

Addicted to Softballfans
I will tell you that I played w/ a good friend's team last season & we got drug alot w/ only 5 wins out of a 16 game season. It's not that they were that bad, but we gave at least 9 of those games away in the last inning. It was brutally exhausting. These are a great group of guys. Then I was asked to play for a completely different team this season & I had to make a choice. I went w/ the team that made the play-offs last season. You know what... I am still buddies w/ the whole last season's team, (who went 3-15 this yr), & my team that I have grown to know & play much better ball w/ is sitting as the 4th seed in the play-offs that start next week. Guess who's happy w/ his decision? If $200 is enough to keep you from going insane watching routine plays get botched, I would say go ahead. But I would not do that to myself.

BBBD1969

Bigger than the game.

No brainer---stay with the team you're on. It absolutely BLOWS to play on a team that can't win. Winning is always better. You're the pitcher, so its not like you're NOT going to play. I'd stay on the winning team and pitch and get my 4-5 ABs/game rather than go to the losing team and get my 2-3 ABs/game and lose all the time.

If its a 16 game season it works out to about what, $12/game? I guess if that's worth it to you to turn your back on this other team then go for it. Me, I'd stay with the team you're on already.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm laughing at all the guys dissing $200 like they're offered more than that to play league every day. I could wipe my ass with $200 like all the high rollers on here if I wanted to, but I'm smart enough to know what it's worth.

I basically did what you are asking last year, but my previous team was good friends, but we broke up every year. Players here and there would stop showing up and we'd have to break up to keep from being forfeited out of the league. After two years of playing with teams I didn't sign on to play with, or that couldnt' finish the season with 10 players I decided to play for my work team and have fun while not necessarily being on the best team. It is way more fun. I forgot how much I love playing softball for fun.

I still play to win on the weekends, but if you already do that I'd say go with whichever team will be more fun, and that's not necessarily who'll win the most.

BBBD1969

Bigger than the game.
I'm laughing at all the guys dissing $200 like they're offered more than that to play league every day. I could wipe my ass with $200 like all the high rollers on here if I wanted to, but I'm smart enough to know what it's worth.

I basically did what you are asking last year, but my previous team was good friends, but we broke up every year. Players here and there would stop showing up and we'd have to break up to keep from being forfeited out of the league. After two years of playing with teams I didn't sign on to play with, or that couldnt' finish the season with 10 players I decided to play for my work team and have fun while not necessarily being on the best team. It is way more fun. I forgot how much I love playing softball for fun.

I still play to win on the weekends, but if you already do that I'd say go with whichever team will be more fun, and that's not necessarily who'll win the most.

Jbo, I've never been offered money to play---been offered money to leave, haha!

Seriously tho I have played on teams that really blew and teams that were really good, and playing on really good teams is always more fun than playing on teams where every fly ball or routine grounder to SS is an adventure. If the winning team isn't a group of total dooooshbags than I'd say stay on the winning team. $200 isn't anything to sneeze at, but in the grand scheme of things its not much money to play on a team that goes 1-15 in league or whatever (OP said this team only won 1 game by forfeit previous season).

Not to mention but he said he has a history with the winning team, having been a sub and now they finally asked him to play with them, so I'd say stay on the winning team. Who knows, maybe that losing team has a bunch of DBs on it?