What's closest to the Triad3 USSSA?

mattun

Internet Tough Guy
I was thinking about picking up a new Miken. Seeing a lot of 30's and 12's out there. What newish Miken is closest to the black Triad 3 U-Trip?

mattun

Internet Tough Guy
Right, forgot there were at least two black ones. It's the black and blue Triad 3. Is the Freak Black recommendation mostly because of the barrel length?

THESHOE

Starting Player
Everything about the Freak Black EL model will compare.

Barrel Length (14") and 1/2oz EL.

Basically after that year, the DC41 stayed as the long barrel 1oz load stick, and the Triad became Freak Black as the same long barrel as DC but with less EL.

The 30 & 12 are short barrels and also have more handle flex with time that the Triad or long barrel Freak Black.

Freak Black EL is what you want, find a 2015 if you can for best value for the buck.

Right, forgot there were at least two black ones. It's the black and blue Triad 3. Is the Freak Black recommendation mostly because of the barrel length?

mattun

Internet Tough Guy
Freak Black EL is what you want, find a 2015 if you can for best value for the buck.

Awesome, thanks. The '16s seem about $200 everywhere new. The 2015's seem kinda MIA. Are there any 15's kicking around that I'm missing used or new?

mattun

Internet Tough Guy
Just to throw a wrinkle in this. My two all time favorite bats are the Miken OG Freak and the Worth PST. I've been going pretty good with the Triad 3 lately. Is the Miken Black any hotter or is it basically the same bat as the Triad 3? I saw somebody say the Freak 12 swung a lot like a PST which caught my eye. My gut right now is to grab a Black if it's better than the Triad 3. If they're pretty close performance-wise, maybe pick up a 12 or a 30 to mess around with.

THESHOE

Starting Player
Triad vs Black will be similar... Just less work to put in the Black to see reward and pop. Feel is a little better in the Black to me, but not to say the Triad and Black don't eventually both pop the same and as well with time. I think this may lead people to believe it's a much hotter bat, but only cause it feels a bit better and pops sooner outta wrapper.

The 12/30 model is a totally different beast. Shorter barrel with sweet spot a little further up by the cap feel wise, a little more Helmer or CL22 like in terms of other 12" bats. The handle flexes a little though after a few hundred hits. Get ready to adjust to a little bit of whip and bend in these models, but they smoke the ball if you can handle 12" barrels. Imagine a Juggy Utrip with Miken pop and performance and it sums up the 12 & 30's tbh.

My personal favourite of all Mikens was Freak 12. The Freak 30 hits as far and good, but I find the F30 had a firmer clickier feel than the 12 did. So I prefer the 12 personally.

Just to throw a wrinkle in this. My two all time favorite bats are the Miken OG Freak and the Worth PST. I've been going pretty good with the Triad 3 lately. Is the Miken Black any hotter or is it basically the same bat as the Triad 3? I saw somebody say the Freak 12 swung a lot like a PST which caught my eye. My gut right now is to grab a Black if it's better than the Triad 3. If they're pretty close performance-wise, maybe pick up a 12 or a 30 to mess around with.

mattun

Internet Tough Guy
Triad vs Black will be similar... Just less work to put in the Black to see reward and pop. Feel is a little better in the Black to me, but not to say the Triad and Black don't eventually both pop the same and as well with time. I think this may lead people to believe it's a much hotter bat, but only cause it feels a bit better and pops sooner outta wrapper.

Interesting, that probably explains why used Triad 3s are getting $180 on eBay. I appreciate the posts, I picked up a 12 to mess around with and I might grab a Black (maybe justify it by selling my back up Triad 3 if I like it and they feel close enough).

booth

Addicted to Softballfans
The 16 freak black will feel more endloaded than the triad. If you can find a 15 black it will have a similar feel to the triad.

THESHOE

Starting Player
The 12 is an awesome awesome bat!

Interesting, that probably explains why used Triad 3s are getting $180 on eBay. I appreciate the posts, I picked up a 12 to mess around with and I might grab a Black (maybe justify it by selling my back up Triad 3 if I like it and they feel close enough).