Any whats the call umps

Batter interference ?
Batter hit a pop fly straight up 30-40 ft.. He stands in the Batters box. The ball is in fair territory. The catcher cannot get to the ball because the batter has not moved. The ball hits fair and than bounce foul. Is this interference ?

VF500Racer

Addicted to Softballfans
Don't sound like it Bob unless batter is forced to run...
Batter is just standing inside the box?
I'm not sure I can quote you any rules in any associations.
Which association rule?
I'll let the more experienced umps weigh in.

eddieq

The Great and Powerful Q
Batter interference ?
Batter hit a pop fly straight up 30-40 ft.. He stands in the Batters box. The ball is in fair territory. The catcher cannot get to the ball because the batter has not moved. The ball hits fair and than bounce foul. Is this interference ?

That's a good one. His position there did apparently inhibit the catcher from making a play on a batted ball. Had to be there kind of call?

Out. He has to get out of the way and allow the defense to make a play.

why,he is in the box.what about if the batter goes to run and the catcher knocks him down while going for the ball(catcher initiating the knock down).

MaverickAH

Batter interference ?

It makes no difference whether the ball is fair or foul. If I make a determination that the catcher was deprived of a reasonable opportunity of making a play on the ball, the batter is going to be called out for interference. It is the batters resposibility to give the defensive player a clear path. Being in the batter's box does not offer him sae haven.

(Q'.')-o

Addicted to Softballfans
If you're allowed to steal and the ball goes past the catcher and the catcher goes to tag the runner coming in from third but can't because the batter is in the way.. the runner goes back to third and the batter is out.. same scenario..

rhound50

Rec Coed Superstar
why,he is in the box.what about if the batter goes to run and the catcher knocks him down while going for the ball(catcher initiating the knock down).

The batters box is no different than any other part of the baseline, the fielder has to be given the opportunity to make the play.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
Contrary to popular belief, there is no position on the field whatsoever that offers any offensive player or coach a "safe haven" from an interference call.

None.

havocsoftball37

Addicted to Softballfans
but the obvious question here is if the catcher couldnt get around the batter that means the batter had to be always in front of the catcher, but if he just stood in the box then why didnt the catcher just go around him and stand in front of him???

Gulf Coast Blue

Addicted to Softballfans
There is a specific example in the ASA Umpires Manual where the is a ball hit just in front of the plate. As long as the BR and C are doing exactly what they are supposed to be doing, this is nothing. However, if either does something not associated with the play (i.e. push the other), it could be either INT or OBS.

This is a play I would have to see to make a judgement on.

Joel

BretMan

Addicted to Softballfans
What was the catcher trying to do here? Field a batted ball.

What are offensive players required to do when the defense is fielding a batted ball? Get the hell out of their way!

What judgment does the umpire have to make on this play? Did the offensive player impede or prevent the defensive player from recording an out.

If he did, then you have interference- interference by a batter-runner, not a batter. Forget that he was still in the batter's box. The batter's box has zero bearing on this play. Once the ball has been batted and the defense is attempting to field it, the batter's boxes essentially no longer exist.

BretMan

Addicted to Softballfans
There is a specific example in the ASA Umpires Manual where the is a ball hit just in front of the plate. As long as the BR and C are doing exactly what they are supposed to be doing, this is nothing. However, if either does something not associated with the play (i.e. push the other), it could be either INT or OBS.

Sadly, with the update to the umpire manual a few years ago, this example has been eliminated. It's not there anymore and I've had conflicting answers on whether or not it still applies.

Regardless, that old sample play covered a situation where the batter-runner was running to first after bunting the ball in front of the plate (ie: what he was supposed to be doing) while the catcher was coming straight out to field the bunt.

I'm not sure if you could consider a batter-runner just standing there after hitting the ball as "doing what he is supposed to be doing".

VF500Racer

Addicted to Softballfans
I understood that the batter's box is no safe haven.
I guess my question/point is that if the ball was right in front
of the plate 20-40' up in the air like OP said and the batter
didn't touch the catcher and the catcher had a
path and plenty of time got get underneath the ball,
is it really interference? I seen it a few times while
catching or in the stands and it never gets called
b/c the most of time the catcher just squats there.
The ones that go after it usually gets the out.

Gulf Coast Blue

Addicted to Softballfans
Sadly, with the update to the umpire manual a few years ago, this example has been eliminated. It's not there anymore and I've had conflicting answers on whether or not it still applies.

Regardless, that old sample play covered a situation where the batter-runner was running to first after bunting the ball in front of the plate (ie: what he was supposed to be doing) while the catcher was coming straight out to field the bunt.

I'm not sure if you could consider a batter-runner just standing there after hitting the ball as "doing what he is supposed to be doing".

True.......and by the BR not doing anything......you could go with the old willfull indifference argument and rule interference. I would still like to see the play but am leaning towards interference.

Joel

RDD15

Addicted to Softballfans
True.......and by the BR not doing anything......you could go with the old willfull indifference argument and rule interference. I would still like to see the play but am leaning towards interference.

Joel

I am not familiar with "willful indifference". Can someone fill me in?

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
All this BS is irrelevant. The BR is out, period. There is no possible viable argument otherwise.

ASA 8.2.F.1

As Bretman stated, the catcher was attempting to field a batted ball.

Rule is the same for all sanctions of which I am aware.

VF500Racer

Addicted to Softballfans
I know you're right Irish, but I just wish you or NC conduct a clinic
for our local umps b/c it never would get called here. :eek:

Gulf Coast Blue

Addicted to Softballfans
All this BS is irrelevant. The BR is out, period. There is no possible viable argument otherwise.

ASA 8.2.F.1

As Bretman stated, the catcher was attempting to field a batted ball.

Rule is the same for all sanctions of which I am aware.

What is the National Staffs' take on the old play that used to be in the Umpires Manual? Looking back it seems it was removed in 2008. Is that play no longer the interpretation?

Joel

BretMan

Addicted to Softballfans
What is the National Staffs' take on the old play that used to be in the Umpires Manual? Looking back it seems it was removed in 2008. Is that play no longer the interpretation?

Joel

Personally, I liked that interpretation and thought that the reasoning behind it was sound ("the field is laid out in such a manner that it puts the offensive and defensive player on a collision course").

I just don't think that I would apply it on this play. On a high pop-up the batter has plenty of time to move out of the way.

Lurker765

Addicted to Softballfans
Personally, I liked that interpretation and thought that the reasoning behind it was sound ("the field is laid out in such a manner that it puts the offensive and defensive player on a collision course").

I just don't think that I would apply it on this play. On a high pop-up the batter has plenty of time to move out of the way.

What happens if the batter swings from his heels and is off balance and trying to recover when the catcher runs into him? What is the ruling on this if the B-R is just trying to keep from falling down? Is this still interference?

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans

Joel

Joel, when did you start playing again? Sounding a lot like a ball player here.

I am referring to the play at hand in the OP, nothing else.

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
What happens if the batter swings from his heels and is off balance and trying to recover when the catcher runs into him? What is the ruling on this if the B-R is just trying to keep from falling down? Is this still interference?

What part of this did you not understand?

ASA 8.2.F.1

hookumsnivy

Addicted to Softballfans

Interference does not have to be intentional. If a runner accidentally trips and knocks into a fielder trying to make a play, it's still interference.

Lurker765

Addicted to Softballfans
Interference does not have to be intentional. If a runner accidentally trips and knocks into a fielder trying to make a play, it's still interference.

Yeah, I understand this. I just had a game the other day when I was catching and the batter popped one up about fifteen feet in the air right in front of the plate.

I was already standing and started to move forward but had to stop due to the swing follow through. The ball landed fair and rolled foul before I could get around the batter and the umpire ruled it a foul ball. I didn't complain because while I was interfered with I couldn't see how the batter could have done anything different since it was just a completely normal swing.

hookumsnivy

Addicted to Softballfans
Yeah, I understand this. I just had a game the other day when I was catching and the batter popped one up about fifteen feet in the air right in front of the plate.

I was already standing and started to move forward but had to stop due to the swing follow through. The ball landed fair and rolled foul before I could get around the batter and the umpire ruled it a foul ball. I didn't complain because while I was interfered with I couldn't see how the batter could have done anything different since it was just a completely normal swing.

I think your situation is more of a gray area. Everyone was doing what they were supposed to be doing.
This isn't relevant to softball, but in baseball if the follow through prevents the catcher from making a throw to 2nd base on a SB attempt, the runner is out.

If it was 30-40 feet in the air, why wasn't the pitcher hauling ace to get there?

1...not the pitchers job,they back up on pitch,its that lazyazz catchers job.:eek: :eek: :eek: :p

What was the catcher trying to do here? Field a batted ball.

What are offensive players required to do when the defense is fielding a batted ball? Get the hell out of their way!

What judgment does the umpire have to make on this play? Did the offensive player impede or prevent the defensive player from recording an out.

If he did, then you have interference- interference by a batter-runner, not a batter. Forget that he was still in the batter's box. The batter's box has zero bearing on this play. Once the ball has been batted and the defense is attempting to field it, the batter's boxes essentially no longer exist.

this is kinda like the coaches box thing.the only way for the runner,to me,be ok is that everything is done in a natural succession.no stopping/starting going on.

i found this question on another board,so can't take any cred for it...