what's the call

batboy_2006

Addicted to Softballfans
2 scenarios. Both happened in the same game.

1st play : Guy on 1 with a girl coming up to bat. Girl hits a ground ball to 2B. 2B flips ball to SS for the force out and 2. Runner coming into 2 is about 10/15 or so feet away from the bag when the out happens and throws his arms up above head to as if to stop the throw from the SS to 1B for the double play. SS holds the ball so he doesn't hit the runner who is already out. Batter going to 1B is safe.

2nd play : Starts out the same. Guy on 1 with a girl coming up to bat. Girl hits grounder to 2B, 2B flips to SS for the out at 2. The runner who is on 1B goes maybe a few steps at most towards 2B and stops, stands on the line covering his face with his arms and just stands there pretty much blocking the 1B from being able to see or catch the ball. SS doesn't throw the ball because again he doesn't want to hurt the runner just standing there. Batter gets to 1B and is called safe.

Both times, ump just called the runner going to 2B out on the force, and nothing else. The first one to me is kind of questionable because he is impeding with the SS from being able to throw the ball to 1B. The 2nd time, to me is a bit different where the runner just stands there blocking his face with his arms but not doing anything extra to with his arms to block the throw, just his body being there to prevent the throw. The runner makes no intent to get out of the way on either play, both just stayed on the base line..

Is this pretty much a judgement call of the ump to deem whether the runner is actually trying to impede with the defense making a throw/catch or whether he's just trying to protect himself from being hit but is allowed to still stay on the baseline?

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
Speaking USA

2 scenarios. Both happened in the same game.

1st play : Guy on 1 with a girl coming up to bat. Girl hits a ground ball to 2B. 2B flips ball to SS for the force out and 2. Runner coming into 2 is about 10/15 or so feet away from the bag when the out happens and throws his arms up above head to as if to stop the throw from the SS to 1B for the double play. SS holds the ball so he doesn't hit the runner who is already out. Batter going to 1B is safe.

The retired runners actions could be considered INT if s/he judged the defense could have retired the BR on the play. A throw does NOT have to be made. This is purely umpire's judgment. Since the interfering runner has been put out prior to the INT, the runner closest to home at the time of the INT would be ruled out. If the umpire did judge INT, the ball would have been dead immediately.

2nd play : Starts out the same. Guy on 1 with a girl coming up to bat. Girl hits grounder to 2B, 2B flips to SS for the out at 2. The runner who is on 1B goes maybe a few steps at most towards 2B and stops, stands on the line covering his face with his arms and just stands there pretty much blocking the 1B from being able to see or catch the ball. SS doesn't throw the ball because again he doesn't want to hurt the runner just standing there. Batter gets to 1B and is called safe.

This is a conscious decision by the defender to not make a throw. The runner made no act to interfere with the play. And before anyone starts, the lack of action is not an act of INT

Hiltz

Built for comfort
This is a conscious decision by the defender to not make a throw. The runner made no act to interfere with the play. And before anyone starts, the lack of action is not an act of INT

I understand and agree with this; a runner is under no obligation to slide under a throw or veer off to either side. And when he is forced out, he can't just disappear from the field.

Just to clarify; if the SS had made the throw and hit the runner, would it always be considered interference even if the runner hadn't done anything to purposely interfere?

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
I understand and agree with this; a runner is under no obligation to slide under a throw or veer off to either side. And when he is forced out, he can't just disappear from the field.

Just to clarify; if the SS had made the throw and hit the runner, would it always be considered interference even if the runner hadn't done anything to purposely interfere?

Absolutely not. As previously noted, the lack of action is not an act of INT. Now, if the runner had fallen and stood up into the throw, that would be an act of INT

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
1 is absolutely INT, BR should have been called out as well.
2 is absolutely not INT. as Irish noted, there is no act of interference.

Do not do what Joker suggested. If I feel you threw at a runner intentionally you will be ejected and probably suspended. I would have no problems giving a witness statement if the runner decided to press charges for battery.

He is also wrong, just because a throw hits a runner does not constitute interference.

Joker

Do not do what Joker suggested. If I feel you threw at a runner intentionally you will be ejected and probably suspended. I would have no problems giving a witness statement if the runner decided to press charges for battery.

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

jcmichaels42

Addicted to Softballfans
1 is absolutely INT, BR should have been called out as well.
2 is absolutely not INT. as Irish noted, there is no act of interference.

He is also wrong, just because a throw hits a runner does not constitute interference.

Or if the runner gets drilled for being stupid, he won't do it next time.

Joker

that also comes back to the real world versus what the book says. most of the time it's 1 ump who is behind the plate, unless the ump is Usain Bolt he's not getting out by 2nd base to see the play from the best angle on a typical double play. the ump may not have the best angle to see if the runner is still in the throwing lane or not. finish the play and let the ump make the call from there

stork

Rocky Mountain Oyster aka DirtDog
In the old days, you could/would get drilled and a lawsuit would not be on anybodies mind...and it would teach you not to do *****-made maneuvers like runner above.

jcmichaels42

Addicted to Softballfans
But you may see him again in a court room or lawyer's conference room

Judge: Sir why were you standing in the basepath covering up instead of getting out of the way...

Guy: Well because I was being stupid and trying to break up a double play with my face.

Judge: ........

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
Y'all are clueless. If a player is injured and seeks medical attention either immediate or in the future due to the incident, the player has no say or right to waive such legal action.

Country469

if this made it to court its a fairly easy defense, thanks for wasting our money, and get the **** outa the way.

Its not real hard at all to see if a runner is impeding a throw vs being thrown at

Country469

There are no smart people on here, the smart ones leave this site and take up golf exclusively. Softball breeds retards for some reason........

Now....you cannot sue and win if this is part of a normal game where there is zero evidence that the throw was intentionally at the runner with malicious intent. You are assuming risk playing softball, its the inherent risk involved in the game. You can and will eventually be struck by a thrown ball in softball. No biggie there.

Its when guys intentionally throw at someone to try and get a call or to be a bad ass, this is where you open yourself up. Criminally, its gonna be real hard to prove this beyond a shadow of a doubt. Civil court I will believe just about anything anymore if you can find a good lawyer and receptive jury. Better not have been talking **** about that other team in front of the wrong people. Will you win, meh. Will you get to trial in a civil case, probably. And then youve spent so much defending yourself even if you get free, just give them first base lol.

Last edited:

Joker

you'd basically have to be throwing at a guy with their back turned when there is no play being made while yelling "i'm going to hurt you"

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
To start, I have had coaches and players directly threaten an opponent or direct a player to throw at an opponent. No, that is NOT part of the game. In every case, I gave the threatened player or their coach my card and in full view and sound of all present announced I would be available for any interview with police or lawyer if something did occur. I would turn the the person who made the threat and reiterate the same to make sure s/he understood. Many thank yous, but never anything other than a post-game conversation with a cop who heard there could have been a problem on the field. Told him how I handled it. He smiled and told me to have a good night.

AFA court, if someone is injured the chances of ending up with a legal issue grow immensely. No one has to press charges, but if an insurance company gets involved (and in today's world that is very likely), they will most likely seek to recoup any expenses and/or loss caused through their client's injury.

RNRPLZ

I find it hard to believe with all the smart people on here, no one gets this.
With social media I can’t believe some of these plays questioned on here don’t have video attached. Fellow (considerate umpires,not joker) needs to keep in mind EVERY game at any time you could be on candid camera. Angle over distance this should have been an easy call