ASA What's the Call

DeputyUICHousto

Addicted to Softballfans
Gentlemen, I see no reason to berate each other. I would bet we get enough of that on the field. Joker, R1 (on 3B) was off when the batter squared to bunt. When the batter missed the pitch, R1 was headed toward the plate. When B2 missed the bunt opportunity, R1 turned and retreated to 3B. In returning to 3B, she over ran the base down the line towards left field. When she realized she couldn't return to 3B without being tagged out, she then retreated to 2B.

Joker

Gentlemen, I see no reason to berate each other. I would bet we get enough of that on the field. Joker, R1 (on 3B) was off when the batter squared to bunt. When the batter missed the pitch, R1 was headed toward the plate. When B2 missed the bunt opportunity, R1 turned and retreated to 3B. In returning to 3B, she over ran the base down the line towards left field. When she realized she couldn't return to 3B without being tagged out, she then retreated to 2B.
i know that, some other people think they started somewhere else and ran past 3rd for some reason

DeputyUICHousto

Addicted to Softballfans
Blues, I just spoke to Kevin regarding this play. His ruling is that this is perfectly legal. Since second base was not occupied the runner has a right to the base.

I think we can close this one. I would hope that we would have no further discussion on this play since our ruling came from the Man himself.

sleepin4matty

Management Material
Blues, I just spoke to Kevin regarding this play. His ruling is that this is perfectly legal. Since second base was not occupied the runner has a right to the base.

I think we can close this one. I would hope that we would have no further discussion on this play since our ruling came from the Man himself.
i think the easiest way to think about this is if a player got into a pickle. once you touch the base you are safe there obviously but you can then return to the previously occupied base as long as nobody is occupying that base.

etnstudios

Addicted to Softballfans
beating a dead horse, if she ran up the left field line past the bag, why wouldn't you rule out of the base path?