USSSA When does an inning officially begin? Timed game question

Apoc13

getting too old for this
we played timed games....when the time expires the next full inning is 1 pitch

tonight the 6th inning ended with 59 seconds remaining...the home team took the field but just seconds before the 1st pitch of the 7th inning the timer went off...the league commissioner then said we were in 1 pitch

my question is....when does the new inning officially start?

immediately after the last out of the previous inning is recorded?...when the first pitch of the next inning is pitched?...when the team has taken the field?...when the ump gives the ok to begin the inning?

should we have been in 1 pitch or regular until the next inning, if necessary?

DeputyUICHousto

Addicted to Softballfans
Wow

The new inning will start as soon as the 3rd out is made. For instance, if you have two outs in the bottom of the 6th inning. Batter makes 3rd out with 4 seconds left...the new inning has started. Also, if there are two outs with the home team at bat and the batter hits a fly ball and time expires while the ball is in the air then the inning is over.

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
Generally Deputy is right but you'll have to LD for your specific league since no where in the USSSA book is there a mechanic for one pitch after a time limit.

Apoc13

getting too old for this
deputy, that's what we thought and my manager argued

jug, that's where our commish will get off the hook

RDD15

Addicted to Softballfans
I will say that if this is a league that states it uses USSSA rules with a few printed exceptions, if there is no exception stated in the league's rules, the new inning still begins immediately when the prior one ends. There is no lapse in time between innings.

stickin2j

Good clean family fun
I always get a good chuckle when a team (usually the greater part of my own) sprints out to their positions once the last out is recorded thinking that I have to pitch or something else has to happen to play the next inning.

Fin09

Addicted to Softballfans
Sounds like a local rule- I'd look for clarification from your LD on that. Sounds like if no pitch has been thrown and the timer goes off, an entire inning of 1 pitch can still be played, so you use the rule to save time. Otherwise, you'd play that inning plus a 1 pitch inning, putting you way behind schedule.