When to cut players?

nblase1

Manager
For the past few years we've had the same team and, being the manager, I think it might be time to start cutting some players.

We're all relatively young, 20-23, and have started getting a lot better over the past year, but there's still a few guys that just haven't seemed to catch on. And the rest of us are ready to start winning consistently and entering tournaments.

My question is, should I cut the players that are holding us back? Or do you think they could still improve?

Also, we all either went to high school together, or grew up together. So it wont be easy to tell them they're not welcome back.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

banny

late bloomer
You say you're "ready to start entering tournaments", which means you haven't entered any yet. If it's friends and league ball keep playing. By the way, you're the best player on the team as well as manager, right?

niteshadow

Addicted to Softballfans
Ask the other people on the team... if its a team decisions and not a personal one. Then I dont see a problem with it at all.

317Bombs

If you were my "friend", and made a dictator-like call to eliminate me I'd punch you in the nuts. Real **** move.

johnny fitz

Addicted to Softballfans
I went thru this bud. Don't cut guys so to speak but if they miss a week you have an excuse for the next week etc... Don't enter tourneys with with them and slowly guys start to fall off anyway. We have 6 of our original 12 ... Its only a matter of time as guys get older and wives/children limit them to playing in 1 lg etc... Don't sweat it.

nblase1

Manager
You say you're "ready to start entering tournaments", which means you haven't entered any yet. If it's friends and league ball keep playing. By the way, you're the best player on the team as well as manager, right?

It's league ball, and we all have a lot of fun together. It just gets frustrating at times when errors are repeatedly made on routine plays.

And I've tried getting them to come out and practice more often. Offering to hit ground balls and throw BP, but they just dont seem to enjoy it as much.

By no means am I the best player. One of the better ones, but by no means the best. I'll leave the best player honors to the Division 1 teammates.

BigSam

Addicted to Softballfans
Let the problem work itself out. Recruit better players for their positions, and when it comes time for games start the better players. When the slackers grumble about it you tell them to work harder and get better because you are playing the best 10 players each game.

Typically they will whine for a while and then quit in a huff. And if they DO work hard and get better that's a bonus.

ImminentDanger

Up and Over
And I've tried getting them to come out and practice more often. Offering to hit ground balls and throw BP, but they just dont seem to enjoy it as much.

Do they actually come out to the practices?? Are your better players coming to practice to show these guys the right way to do things? Do you have a clear goal in mind for them - and do they understand what you expect?

Not everyone wants to play at the higher levels of competition - some just want to do reasonably well and enjoy a night out... the team should discuss where it wants to go and how it thinks it can get there.... listen carefully to how those few players respond to this kind of discussion....

Friends are much harder to find than good ball players -- and a lot of times, along with the good skills those players bring attitudes and egos that sometimes will totally destroy the cohesiveness of a team...

Think carefully about what you want --- then have a few team discussions...

Spackler

...got that goin for me
Have lower standards and you'll have more fun during league. Try a low level tourney, if you get whomped tell the whole team your gonna keep the league team but have a competitive tourney team where players will have to make the team and everyone is on the chopping block. Encourage lesser players to make the team by practicing. Then you can have a fun league team and better tourney team and you wont be the giant douche! Yes I'm a manager too.

banny

late bloomer
It's league ball, and we all have a lot of fun together. It just gets frustrating at times when errors are repeatedly made on routine plays.

By no means am I the best player. One of the better ones, but by no means the best. I'll leave the best player honors to the Division 1 teammates.

Sounds like the one or two guys are just in it for the fun of it and there's nothing wrong with that. I agree with the guys who say keep this team together for league and take your best guys and try to pick up a few more for tournaments if that's what you want. I'll bet a lot of college ballplayers have been humbled, even at an E tourney.

nblase1

Manager
I agree with many of you, there's nothing wrong with the guys that just want to have fun. That's why we all do this anyway right? But as a team we all agree that its definitely a lot more fun when we win. Maybe it's just the lack of effort that bothers me, and the excuses.

The thing is, everyone on the team wants to win, even the lesser players. They just don't put the effort in.

dan

Manager
A couple of guys here suggested practice. That sounds great, but unfortunately, all the practice in the world won't bring a player with little talent into the big leagues.

Do you have excellent players waiting to join your team when you drop your low guys? If so, why aren't these excellent players already playing for somebody else? Were they maybe dumped by other teams? Be sure you're not trading away good-friend teammates for self-centered superstars.

A good slogan to remember: I'd rather lose with friends than win with jerks.

nblase1

Manager
Do you have excellent players waiting to join your team when you drop your low guys? If so, why aren't these excellent players already playing for somebody else? Were they maybe dumped by other teams? Be sure you're not trading away good-friend teammates for self-centered superstars.

2 of the guys on the team played division 1 baseball, and they have teammates that want to play, so that would be why they're not already playing.

Given, they will need to adjust to softball, but I'm positive they will be more of an asset to the team.

I'm leaning towards the 2 separate teams, it seems like thats the only way to make peace.

RiverPHENIX

The Veteran
We have this same problem This team I joined they all been playing with each other for over 5-8 years now and this was my second season with them, they have 8 wins in 5 years, its so frustrating we seem to be winning every game up tp the 5th inning, then bamm error after error with same guys over and over, but these guys are all committed and are at every practice, they wanna play and learn but they just dont have that natural talent that others do, so its hard to cut them....
we needed to win our last game to make the playoffs and we were kicking butt all game in the last inning where up 17-6 and we lost 18-17 without recording a out that inning, But my coach said guys, I love you all, but next season I'm taking on more guys and the best players will start that position, and who ever doesnt make it your more then welcome to be a sub if needed, cuz Im getting to old and I tried for so long and I hate getting embarrassed every sunday, and then he offered I can get you on another team in same lg for the ones who dont make the team, or I can find another League and we can play in another one.... Not for nothing he had allot of players this year that he could of brought on the team that was really good but said were full and committed, he trys but I feel his pain...... so thats what hes doing, hes not cutting them but said will have tryouts........

MarlSrSoftball

Into Semi-Retirement Still activebut not League
How about keeping all of this team for league and finding a few to play just tournaments?

This seems to be the best solution. If the weaker players want to earn a spot on the Tournament team they will work to get better.

MarlSrSoftball

Into Semi-Retirement Still activebut not League

This seems to be the new generation of softballers. When I started 19 yrs ago we would have players there, we play mornings, hour or so before the game for BP and sometimes an hour or so after games. Now you are lucky if the show up 15 mins before the game.

Pickup games we would have a waiting list now we can't get enough to have a good BP session.

scrub

Addicted to Softballfans
I don't know what it's like in MD but around here decent E teams are basically D level talent. There isn't really a place in E anymore for rec teams (unfortunately), even good rec teams aren't going to do much but spin their wheels and shell out some cash. If you're being serious about running a tourney team, you need to completely forget who's on your league team and simply build the best team you can. definitely don't confuse the two. too much time and money on the line to half ass it, and trust me if you start losing games because you insist on including weak links, you're going to start losing your better players for not giving them a better chance to win.

If you're just looking to continue improving in league and f around with a few tourneys, (always look to pick up good players but) don't go out of your way to cut anyone. Those end of the bench guys will either find their place on the team or move on on their own. and some of those guys might be fine with their role and end up doing you a lot of favors over the years flexibility wise.

I know where you are coming from. Started a team last year with a buddy and we cut loose a couple people who were dead weight. This year we took a couple extras because people wouldn't show up and we had to forfit like 6 league games. This year all 13 show up and I feel like I should at least bat everyone. Almost everyone tries to hit it over the fence and the bottom of the order always goes 1-2-3 which leads to the better players only getting up 2-3 times a game. Got the last 1-3 of the season coming up and I have decided im only batting 10 people the rest of the season so we can win some games and get a better seed for playoffs. People will probably get pissed but they have had 20 some games and haven't improved much.

SMAC

mmmmmm...beeeer
A good slogan to remember: I'd rather lose with friends than win with jerks.

This ^^^. It is not worth straining relationships with friends over softball. This is a recreational sport.

OP can always start a second team. A couple qualifiers and nationals / worlds. The rest of the time play with friend in tournaments. Everyone loads up for nationals / worlds, anyway.

HrBump13

Addicted to Softballfans
Hey, that two team gig sounds like the best idea. That way you save face w/ your friends & have a good time in league. Also you have a team you wanna try to win tourneys with.

Chubby_43

Well keep your better players and pick up the other guys and to make a tournament team..Slowly start bringing the tournament guys out to league when your guys don't show up.. Start holding practices and when guys don't show the PT time will show.. The cream will rise to the top and the other guys will weed themselves out..

Ferrari1

Addicted to Softballfans
tourney ball is differ then league....when you start givin up your weekends to play ball you want to win and win period...or else its just a waste of your time an money!!! So in order to do that you need to play with the best possible team you can field...