Where do you play?

stang7222

Addicted to Softballfans
It seems like everyone on this board is a pitcher. What is your primary position? Do you have a second position you can play respectably?

I'm 3B primarily anymore but can still run the OF pretty well.

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
My primary position now is umpire. When I played it was 3B with a secondary of 2B. Although there were a couple years where I played every position on the field at least once during the season. 225lb shortstop looked kind of funny, but I was the second best option there.

nike33kjk

Addicted to Softballfans
Started at 15 playing the "rover" position...unheard of today. Then right field, over to primary left fielder. Now at 54, (playing with some grandkids of who I started with) getting put back to right field and catcher. Played very little at first base (lefty). Left-center on my senior team.

jhitman

Outfield for me. Usually LF or LC. I have pitched before and can do it if we are shorthanded.

I've always been an infielder for the most part. I played SS for many years at all levels. Now 76 playing in a mixed Senior League 55+ and playing 2B along with 3B and SS. Arm isn't what it once was, hurt it about 6 years ago, but it has come back to 80%. I do play some LF/LCF but mainly in 75+ league and tournaments. Enjoy playing. Played hardball from 5-30's.

blakcherry329

Back in the day, in modified I played 3b, 1b, and OF(I wasn't fast, but I can tract a ball as well as anyone) OF was in desperate times, of course, but I digress. Once I started pitching, in the late 80s, It was basically that and 1b.. Now it's modified pitching and occasional charity Utrip tournament.
I can still pitch well, but my knees are so bad I'm a liability on the bases. So I play modified in leagues where I can get a runner, or I just pitch(which sucks, but I'm not delusional;):mad:).

ShortYellowBus

I play any position that’s needed. Running two mens league teams means I’ve gotten a lot of repetition in all positions.

I mean…since I’m tall and I can reach a lot of balls, third base and first base would be my preferred options. I hate playing catcher.

swingnmiss

#1 IN YOUR HEARTS
Lefty here so primarily pitcher. Second position is first. Played about 21 games at 2nd base last year just because and wish I was a righty

Im primarily and outfielder but i can dabble a little at 1B. Tried to play second but being a lefty doesnt help lol

Yes......But, God loves us lefties the best. We always hit out of a flat box and the wind always blows out to right field.

stang7222

Addicted to Softballfans
I'd say He feels sorry for you. You're also a step closer to 1st.
It's more than a step for sure. When I first started playing softball and could really run, I couldn't hit for ****. I started hitting lefty and slapping the ball oppo. The only outs I ever made were Ks and the occasional pop-out. The extra few steps I got made it pretty much impossible to throw me out on a ground ball. Of course striking out once a week maybe more killed that strategy. Now I can kinda run and sorta hit and would probably K every time if I tried to hit lefty.

Knollie

I'm strictly infield, generally SS or 3B. 2b is my most natural position, but I play on a pretty inexperienced team(7-3 co-ed this year😵‍💫) with nobody else able to stop the ball and consistently make a strong enough throw to 1st. If I'm in the OF it's bound to be a long night

realsimsshady

Pitch 99% of the time now, but it depends on the team. Never thought I'd be a full time P, but started out of necessity, and realized, humbly, I'm pretty damn good.
I will gladly let someone else pitch if they're better, but it's been awhile. If I'm on a really good defensive team, 2B is my preferred, but I can play about anywhere. Not great in any other position, but good enough to pass. 2B is nice to have someone who knows how to play it, but it's way far down the priority list.

realsimsshady

Pitch 99% of the time now, but it depends on the team. Never thought I'd be a full time P, but started out of necessity, and realized, humbly, I'm pretty damn good.
I will gladly let someone else pitch if they're better, but it's been awhile. If I'm on a really good defensive team, 2B is my preferred, but I can play about anywhere. Not great in any other position, but good enough to pass. 2B is nice to have someone who knows how to play it, but it's way far down the priority list.
Speaking of pitching, our rec league is letting us pitch from 6 feet behind the rubber again. So much better than Utrip's update from last year

Last edited: