Where do you practice?

kayber76

The Rookie
So our team is in Florida and we've been practicing each week by paying for fields. We just joined the league and i found out they do not give us practice time on the fields. Every field we go to in South Florida charges a fee to use. Is this standard? if so what do you guys do?

Glitch

Starting Player
Paying for fields? Can't say I've had to ever do that. Every town around here has their own ball fields and can easily be used when games aren't being played.

oilslick58

Addicted to Softballfans
Find a Church with a yard and a backstop................Im cheap, I aint payin for practice.EVER
What area in FL do you play?

pirates33

Addicted to Softballfans
"Its easy to talk about, its easy to sum it up when you just talk about practice. We sittin' in here, I'm supposed to be the franchise player, and we in here talkin' about practice. I mean listen, we talkin bout practice. Not a game, not a game, not a game. We talkin bout practice. Not a game, not a, not a, not the game that I go out there and die for, and play every game like its my last. Not the game. We talkin' bout practice, man. I mean how silly is that? We talkin' bout practice. I know I'm supposed to be there, I know I'm supposed to lead by example. I know that, and I'm not shovin' it aside, you know, like it don't mean anything. I know its important, I do. I honestly do. But we talkin' bout practice, man. What are we talkin' bout? Practice? We talkin' bout practice man. We talk... We talkin' bout practice. We talkin' bout practice. We ain't talkin' bout the game, we talkin' bout practice, man. When you come into the arena, and you see me play, you see me play, don't you? You see me give everything I got, right? But we talkin' bout practice right now. We talkin' bout practice. (crowd laughs) Man look, I hear you, its funny to me too. I mean, its strange, its strange to me too. But we talkin' bout practice man. We not even talkin' bout the game, the actual game, when it matters. We talkin' bout practice."

-Allen Iverson

NoNameJames

Star Player
Never pay to practice. We go to a small 230' fenced field. Our goal is to keep it in and try to keep it as low as the 10' fence. Helps on placing base hits and infield gap shots. I noticed when we play on bigger fields, its people just go for the long ball. It's been very effective.

brewcitydude25

Addicted to Softballfans
I can think of at least 8 fields within a 15 min drive that have 300 ft fences that are open most of the time. It's hard now with youth teams practicing but after July those are done.

lanikeas

O2BSURFN
You could try some of the local middle and high schools as well. Just have to work around the baseball/softball season.

Redman

I'd pay for a beautiful lit field every week. Naw everyone thinks their hot **** so no one really practices on my teams. They do the quarterly Bp session when they're sucking nutts but that's about it.

I personally have a few good fields close to me that are normally open for the weekly/biweekly bp with a buddy or two.

2TransAms

Droppin' 280 ft bombs
No league I've ever been in gives you practice time. Just go to the park and find a ball field. You might get booted when the little league teams show up. But all you need is space, not an actual diamond. Go hit in a soccer field, nobody practices baserunning.

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
We get two hours of scheduled practice time before leagues start for the year. After that it's find a field, there are about 40 in the city I play in, and have at it. Occasionally we get booted by little league teams or lacrosse teams but not very often.

MarlSrSoftball

Into Semi-Retirement Still activebut not League
That is the joy of being retired. Fields are always open in the morning. You have to get a permit but our Rec dept doesn't charge for practice times.

ninerempire25

Addicted to Softballfans
meme6746691165_zps8eqvt6sl.jpg

Whitey0817

Addicted to Softballfans
I've got a very well kept city park nearby that's hardly ever in use by any little league teams. 4 diamonds, groomed regularly, grass cut, and plenty of room in the outfields...no fences but who cares, and its located right in the middle of where most guys on my team live

scottydoesnt

Extra Hitter
You don't have local community ball parks ? The only 'problem' we have is getting playing time during the season on the fields with deeper fences. We've only got like 2-3 fields that have 300ft fences. All others are only 265-285. We don't have warm weather all year like you, so we are forced into cages during winter.

exccsracer

Scrooge McBase
I must be very fortunate. I live within 5 minutes of 2 major fields(Pine Grove and Oak Grove) where tourneys are going on at least every other week. There are also several smaller fields(250' & 275') 10 minutes away which have the light switches readily available. If those are taken we have more than a few churches in SC so a ball field can be found fairly easily. Oh, and if it's raining there are several indoor batting cages that have tunnel rental for about $25/hr. Just bring your own pitcher and balls.

louconn

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
at the public parks its all first come first serve unless the fields are reserved games or tournies of course.

ball go far

Addicted to Softballfans
torrey pines turf field
show up ass early (630ish) sunday morn
nobody there, get 3 rounds of bp in with my peeps

cotis

Addicted to Softballfans
there's always a field to hit at somewhere. we usually BP the morning of a tournament too.

Playr4

Coach
Hit off a tee into a net in my backyard. Soccer fields. Only time our team rents a field, if we hit at night (lights) for a few days during the week before a tournament. Runs $30 for 2 hours.

///////////////
So our team is in Florida and we've been practicing each week by paying for fields. We just joined the league and i found out they do not give us practice time on the fields. Every field we go to in South Florida charges a fee to use. Is this standard? if so what do you guys do?

WTF is checking? If they show up and ask for $$$ just walk...

GrinningBear

World's deadliest house husband
Soccer fields behind my apartment during the day or after soccer and the sports the high school doesn't find important enough to have their own fields (lacrosse, rugby) are done and leave. I usually get about 45 minutes of dusk and gather up the balls by flashlight.

Tons and tons of fields within 20 miles and all but a couple of the grounds crews let me use as long as I stay off the chalk.

About half will give you a permit--free, you just have to fill out a form--so you can tell the dad and his four year old to git and city officials you have a printed sheet of leave me alone. Some will even give you the lights at no charge. Some want to charge. Usually the crappy ones.