Which League is Better?

Scotth36

I mentioned on a previous thread that I'm new to slow pitch softball. A guy from work convinced me into playing after I retired form playing baseball. It's a Senior ASA League in Long Beach. If I start looking for a more competitive league, is there leagues (ASA, USSSA, NSA, not sure if there's others) that are better than others or is it just relative to the Area? It appears the have bats for each league so it appears you have to make sure you get one that certified for that league, correct?

smoke

50AAA USA National Champs
All ASA near me and the leagues will have different skill levels, from legit company teams to tournament teams
The leagues will play different nights or fields
SMOKE

Matth

Hi Scott. I used to live in Torrance. They have adult softball at Wilson Park. When I was there, the highest division was pretty competitive. Most teams consisted of tournament players, and each team had at least a couple former minor league/college players. One fellow from team USA softball also played in the league. I'm not sure how competitive the division is now, as this was 5 years ago, but I'm sure it is still pretty good. They also allow for any approved ASA bat, unlike the league in Long Beach. If you're willing to make the 20 mile, drive down the 405 to Torrance this could be the league for you.

Scotth36

Hi Scott. I used to live in Torrance. They have adult softball at Wilson Park. When I was there, the highest division was pretty competitive. Most teams consisted of tournament players, and each team had at least a couple former minor league/college players. One fellow from team USA softball also played in the league. I'm not sure how competitive the division is now, as this was 5 years ago, but I'm sure it is still pretty good. They also allow for any approved ASA bat, unlike the league in Long Beach. If you're willing to make the 20 mile, drive down the 405 to Torrance this could be the league for you.
It looks like its about 30 minutes.

Joker

in a place where you keep your dumb questions in 1 thread instead of spamming this place with stupidity

Matth

in a place where you keep your dumb questions in 1 thread instead of spamming this place with stupidity
Where is that? And I didn’t ask a question. I replied to a question. To you read threads, or do you just reply to the last post you see?

smarkley3

Certified Trap Hoe
I play in Long Beach, what level are you playing, move up. Also BLD West Covina has an ASA Bat 55+ senior League on Thursdays that is better.

Scotth36

I play in Long Beach, what level are you playing, move up. Also BLD West Covina has an ASA Bat 55+ senior League on Thursdays that is better.
I just started playing about a month ago in Long Beach Senior ASA League. We play Saturday mornings.

nutmegs

IDGAFOS
I mentioned on a previous thread that I'm new to slow pitch softball. A guy from work convinced me into playing after I retired form playing baseball. It's a Senior ASA League in Long Beach. If I start looking for a more competitive league, is there leagues (ASA, USSSA, NSA, not sure if there's others) that are better than others or is it just relative to the Area? It appears the have bats for each league so it appears you have to make sure you get one that certified for that league, correct?
If you are 50 years old and just now playing softball, I'm not sure what you consider competitive. You said you played minor league ball, but you are 50 so that's not really relevant anymore. All senior leagues are gonna suck. I'd try and play a league with young players if you want competitive, but that might be too competitive.

dunkky

i agree. forget about senior league. what's that old dude's name that starts with R or D. is it dennis ru... something.. i could be wrong. isn't he like close to 50?

dunkky

I just started playing about a month ago in Long Beach Senior ASA League. We play Saturday mornings.

how is that experience coming along? besides having fun there, if you feel it's waste of your time talentwise, then you should move up. Otherwise, i guess that's where you hang out. it's all up to your skill and physical ability.

smarkley3

Certified Trap Hoe
Long Beach Senior on Saturday is a 55+ Senior league that uses modified ASA rules, including single wall alloy, one piece ASA stamped bats. They have three divisions, Gold, Silver and Bronze. You can move up to where you are comfortable
The league at BLD West Covina is more competitive especially since allow ASA stamped composite bats. Also several senior tournament teams play there but, its Thursdays during the day. Games get cancelled alot and with the rain we have been getting not much of this season has been played yet. So you can check it out.

Scotth36

how is that experience coming along? besides having fun there, if you feel it's waste of your time talentwise, then you should move up. Otherwise, i guess that's where you hang out. it's all up to your skill and physical ability.
It's going fine just looking for something more competitive. In 5 games, I'm hitting .833, 2 dbls, 1 trpl, 4 HRs, 2 Intentional Walks, OPS - 2.28, OBP - .833, Slugging - 1.50.
@nutmeg I agree that this far past minor league ball has no relevance. I took a few years off to coach my boys then got talked to playing in a competitive men's 25 and over baseball league in Phoenix. I have played that for about 12 years. So it's not like I haven't been playing baseball, I just haven't played softball. I decided to hang up my baseball cleats cuz when I moved to Seal Beach, Southern Cal, my games were over an hour away on a Sunday morning. That would be a 7 hour event to play baseball. I did it for a couple years but decided i was done with the traveling. A guy in my office, 62ish, asked me to play on his Senior League softball. I originally said no i was done but after several months of him trying to convince me I decided to do it. It's fun playing with these guys but was hoping to find something a little more competitive. Sleepin4matty on here got me on his team in Lake Forest. I'm going to try it for a few games to see how the drive is. LA traffic can be pretty bad.

Scotth36

Long Beach Senior on Saturday is a 55+ Senior league that uses modified ASA rules, including single wall alloy, one piece ASA stamped bats. They have three divisions, Gold, Silver and Bronze. You can move up to where you are comfortable
The league at BLD West Covina is more competitive especially since allow ASA stamped composite bats. Also several senior tournament teams play there but, its Thursdays during the day. Games get cancelled alot and with the rain we have been getting not much of this season has been played yet. So you can check it out.
Thanks. I think that's the same league we are in. I think our team is in the Silver division. Someone on the team had mentioned "the Higher division. I'm not sure where West Covina is, I'll have to look it up. Might you know anyone in that league or should I just look up a West Covina Softball league BLD?

Scotth36

I just checked out BLD West Covina. That's a little far. Right now at 8 am it says it would be an hour drive. I imagine when the leagues will be, it will be a much longer drive. I appreciate it.

Redsfan

If you play senior you may need to find a big time team to play for. Messing around in an average senior league or playing Men's D,E or Rec will bore you to death.

dunkky

glad you are doing well. i agree with redsfan. i am not sure how much you want outta this, you just wanna have fun or something more.

let me ask you this, if one of the A/AA ask you to join their team, is it possible for you? you probably gonna travel once a month or so for tourneys.

this dude is pretty old, but he still plays both in major and A. i don't see why you can't do the same.
https://www.softballcenter.com/dennis-rulli/

Scotth36

I'm not sure what A/AA means. I've read a little but not completely sure what the ranking system is or who ranks players. I won't mind getting into a few tournaments. I enjoy playing and hanging out with the "guys".

hitless45

Addicted to Softballfans
Glad to hear you're finding some leagues and playing Scott.. A/AA is just the most upper class league/players.. i believe some of the seniors teams are classified similarly, that are allowed to use the composite bats.. did you find a singlewall one piece for your local league, i still have the 26 oz uw as well as a 30oz uw that I am looking to sell..

Last edited:

dunkky

honestly, i am just avg D player, a little better than E i guess, so i am no subject matter expert on this.

E < D < C < B < A < AA < Major, i think that's how it goes, correct me if i am wrong. A to Major consists of a lot guys played in college, minor, and major baseball.

Scotth36

Glad to hear you're finding some leagues and playing Scott.. A/AA is just the most upper class league/players.. i believe some of the seniors teams are classified similarly, that are allowed to use the composite bats.. did you find a singlewall one piece for your local league, i still have the 26 oz uw as well as a 30oz uw that I am looking to sell..
Thanks. I did was able to get a Anderson Nanotek SP for $100 and is in pretty good shape. I appreciate it.

Redsfan

Scott I have a feeling you will be a lot like me just with better ball skills. Your competitive juices will get flowing and will want to keep moving up and playing against really good players. Like what you were used to in baseball. I tried co-ed and my current men's team only plays in E tournaments. They both bore me to death at times. I get no sense of accomplishment beating teams that aren't very good. Needless to say I'll be looking for a better team to play on soon.