Why do new ASA bats crack so easy with a harder ball?

mvfjet

Part Time Player
This is something I've always wondered. The newer ASA bats are designed for the .52 cor ball. I've never cracked a Utrip bat but have broken a total of 3 ASA bats hitting .44 cor or .40 cor balls. Is it because the barrel is harder compared to a Utrip bat so there's less flex in the barrel?

tonys1

I think it's because of the inner barrel designs. The outer barrel is just made to compress enough to activate the inner barrel and the harder balls just rip through that. I think. I'll let someone good answer.

JTCapps

Bats with the new ASA stamp are meant for .52 COR balls. Bats with the old ASA stamp were meant for .44 COR balls.

clementeunknown

Addicted to Softballfans
I think it's because of the inner barrel designs. The outer barrel is just made to compress enough to activate the inner barrel and the harder balls just rip through that. I think. I'll let someone good answer.

You are correct to some extent. The inner barrel is there so the outer barrel doesn't compress too much. It's kind of like the PED tech in Combats just that there is a gap in between. That inner tube keeps the bats ASA/USA legal. The harder balls make the outer tube compress more that's why they break