Why don't you call them on it?

Lord7

Banned User
I guess I don't say anything because I'm not a ***** and I have a glove. It only makes me better to face better competition, so in the long run why would I care?

FAT JESUS

More than likely
You know whats way more dangerous? A 6'5", 250 lb ex baseball player, thats roided out of his mind, and hit 2000 balls during the week. So most of you should stick to league nights.

exccsracer

Scrooge McBase
You know whats way more dangerous? A 6'5", 250 lb ex baseball player, thats roided out of his mind, and hit 2000 balls during the week. So most of you should stick to league nights.

How about we have current MLB players from last year's draft playing on week nights. It's fun playing 2b when he's up bat. Lol.

Back to the subject....

The last few years I've been playing a weekday rec league. EVERYONE has cut bats, period. I'd venture to say even the coed teams use them as well. It's become the culture, the norm, and no one says anything. No stamp, no problem. Pay your $300 fee and rock on.

We have a designated hr hitter rule and no one(that I'm aware of) has been injured in the last few years. Unless someone gets hurt or they change the hr rule it's here to stay.

Personally, in rec play with our hr rule, I don't care about cut bats win or lose. Good defense will beat shaved/scattered/smothered/chunked/sprunked bats all day long.

biggm28

Manager
I guess I don't say anything because I'm not a ***** and I have a glove. It only makes me better to face better competition, so in the long run why would I care?

Yeah, why would you care! YOU GUYS PITCH BEHIND SCREENS!

WarHorse

Star Player

Bro, that's actually really skinny for 6'5. Up the weight to 275 and you got yourself a Hulk.

Lord7

Banned User

Lol at you thinking 250 is big for someone that tall.... Sounds like you have a crush on some dude!

PPC#12

Manager

I definitely can't hang with a 6'5" 250lb ex baseball player who is roided out of his mind and hit 2000 balls during the week. What can I say, im just not ready to be an advanced slowpitch softball tournament player with elite level skills like you

fierce_gt

Addicted to Softballfans
As an umpire in Southern California I have had suspicions about many bats that come across my field. Throwing out a bat for being altered is not something I can prove on the field. The most I have done is taken bats out of play for being cracked, wrong end cap, or for lack of appropriate association stamp(s).

Many of the players, that play with so many different teams, know more about each others bats than I ever would. Why do they not call each other on it? This is just a simple question with no easy answer. Even I have played with and against guys whom I knew to have cut their bats and said nothing.

I know why they cut bats. Excuses like- Gets the ball through the infield faster, Only when I need a homerun, or Everyone else has shaved bats..

So, again, why do we just let this continue?

I know this will get flamed on but maybe there will be some real answers as well. :biggthumpup:

BTW- Women are the worst when it comes to shaved bats

i can't comment for your league, but in the one i play coed in here, it's like 300bux to challenge, and you lose it if they don't find anything. i'm not totally confident in what the process is, so i'm not sure they wouldn't just look at it and guess. not something i'd personally want to wager 300bux on.

in the men's league, i don't know what the procedure is, but i'm also one of the less knowledgeable guys when it comes to illegal bats so i just don't worry about it there. i'm guessing there's an equally restrictive cost to challenging a bat though, because they usually just wait til the picture gets hit... then the bat is retesting on the compression tester automatically

vlcmstnaz

volcom stone az
Serious question: does anyone still shave bats?

World Hottest still offers them here locally, but with how hot the new bats are and the questionable durability and the new balls (for ASA at least), is shaving not now a thing of the past.

Note: never swung a shaved bat, never will.

Bubaloo

Manager
As an umpire in Southern California I have had suspicions about many bats that come across my field. Throwing out a bat for being altered is not something I can prove on the field. The most I have done is taken bats out of play for being cracked, wrong end cap, or for lack of appropriate association stamp(s).

Many of the players, that play with so many different teams, know more about each others bats than I ever would. Why do they not call each other on it? This is just a simple question with no easy answer. Even I have played with and against guys whom I knew to have cut their bats and said nothing.

I know why they cut bats. Excuses like- Gets the ball through the infield faster, Only when I need a homerun, or Everyone else has shaved bats..

I know this will get flamed on but maybe there will be some real answers as well. :biggthumpup:

This is the dumbest thing ever. We get called on shaved bats all the time because I have 4 people including me who are 220 pounds and can destroy the ball. Don't say **** if u ain't got proof. The new bats these days are so fricking hot it doesn't even make a difference any more. When u have a well broken in u trip and hard balls u can hit 350-400 with good mechanics. It ain't shaved man. Ur just paronoid

The league that I know people cut their bats doesn't have a testing policy. The guy admits to adding extra EL, but says he doesn't shave it. He doesn't hit well enough for me to think otherwise, but if he cuts the bat for one reason I'm sure he'd do it for another.

I just don't get it. My j3 and even my 454 JH are so damn good. Why would I need to cut them?

PPC#12

Manager
^^ because let's face it, the majority of softball is made up of a bunch a has beens and never weres looking for a little edge over the rest of the feild of sloppy, overweight, middle aged bums... But, I still love it ;)

ball go far

Addicted to Softballfans
This is the dumbest thing ever. We get called on shaved bats all the time because I have 4 people including me who are 220 pounds and can destroy the ball. Don't say **** if u ain't got proof. The new bats these days are so fricking hot it doesn't even make a difference any more. When u have a well broken in u trip and hard balls u can hit 350-400 with good mechanics. It ain't shaved man. Ur just paronoid

i think u missed the point of my post

dponder

Addicted to Softballfans
Personally, in rec play with our hr rule, I don't care about cut bats win or lose. Good defense will beat shaved/scattered/smothered/chunked/sprunked bats all day long.

In general, maybe. However, you put a shaved/altered bat in the hands of a good hitting team, and it becomes significantly more difficult to defend. You just don't have time to react to hard hit balls. Line drives are gappers with no chance to make a play and grounders are through the hole before you can move. It absolutely makes a difference, a significant difference.

Bro, that's actually really skinny for 6'5. Up the weight to 275 and you got yourself a Hulk.

@ 250 he's "really skinny" but add 25 lbs and now you have a "hulk"? That doesn't make sense.

I think you missed the part about being roided out. If he's doing it correctly with the roids which is the implication FATJESUS is likely making, you are talking about a dude with probably 8-12% BF. A guy that size with visible abs, that's a good sized dude. Add in the fact that they know how to handle the bat and have a good base and genetics with which to work and you have someone that can hit some balls really hard.

Lol at you thinking 250 is big for someone that tall.... Sounds like you have a crush on some dude!

That's a good sized dude if he has low BF and is "roided out". Sure, there are bigger guys out there, but 6'5" and 250 is a good sized dude.

Dakota Deerwood

Addicted to Softballfans

Two reasons that come to mind:

(A) Protesting a bat is damn expensive... up to $300 in some situations.. Teams do not want to risk being wrong..
(B) The other team most likely has at least 1-2 bats that are shaved as well.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Two reasons that come to mind:

(A) Protesting a bat is damn expensive... up to $300 in some situations.. Teams do not want to risk being wrong..
(B) The other team most likely has at least 1-2 bats that are shaved as well.

This is what I see being the next big problem. Down here, anyone can ask to have a bat tested with the compression machine. No charge. It's basically a free protest, and it's going to become a **** storm I think. People are going to ask for an entire team's bats to be tested right in the middle of the game. When a team gets on a roll, pick a player from their team and have their bat checked to stop the game and slow them down.

My work team had a bat tested last year. It was completely stock, but because a team that went winless 4 years ago was hitting the ball hard and ended up beating the perennial B league champs, the bat must be worked. The sad part is it was a team bat that only 3 or so people swung, but they didn't look to be players so they started jumping to conclusions. All the tourney players on my team swung their own bats.

RoeReaper

Coach

World Hottest still offers them here locally, but with how hot the new bats are and the questionable durability and the new balls (for ASA at least), is shaving not now a thing of the past.

Exactly what I was thinking. If I would shave my Mercy or J3A, I'm pretty they would shatter like the glass they already are...

Dakota Deerwood

Addicted to Softballfans
This is what I see being the next big problem. Down here, anyone can ask to have a bat tested with the compression machine. No charge. It's basically a free protest, and it's going to become a **** storm I think. People are going to ask for an entire team's bats to be tested right in the middle of the game. When a team gets on a roll, pick a player from their team and have their bat checked to stop the game and slow them down.

My work team had a bat tested last year. It was completely stock, but because a team that went winless 4 years ago was hitting the ball hard and ended up beating the perennial B league champs, the bat must be worked. The sad part is it was a team bat that only 3 or so people swung, but they didn't look to be players so they started jumping to conclusions. All the tourney players on my team swung their own bats.

Another problem down here is that there has been situations to where someone blew up the middle... the umpire took the bat (because the pitcher did not have time to react) and gave it to the director. The director is supposed to send the bat in for testing, but he usually would just hold the bat until the end of the tournament, and then give the bat back to the player.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Another problem down here is that there has been situations to where someone blew up the middle... the umpire took the bat (because the pitcher did not have time to react) and gave it to the director. The director is supposed to send the bat in for testing, but he usually would just hold the bat until the end of the tournament, and then give the bat back to the player.

Every time my team has been involved this is what has happened. Guy just gets the bat back. That was brought out as a threat, and not thought through well.

Josh916

Addicted to Softballfans
From what I have seen that is the common practice in most places. Bats are taken until end of tournament and then handed back to the player. Once it's learned by the players that this is what happens it usually brings out the shavies even more as they know there is no penalty for it. Like I said this is common for more places then not.

dponder

Addicted to Softballfans

This happened to my team last year. We were playing against another team that usually wins or places in the local tourney's and we were hitting well. They protested all of our bats and they all came back approved. We went on to win that game and made it to the finals. We got smoked in the finals.

goro25

Sin Vergüenza
Depending on who it is and the situation, I might talk a little ****. I wouldn't call them on it, though, cuz i ain't a snitch.

lineshot

Banned User
We played a team last year that had a shaved demarini steel. It was insane. Every person on the team used it. It was like watching a homerun derby from first.

I'm pretty sure ASA rules State either team can use any bat in play...

I had no idea a demarini steel could be shaved and drop bombs

ball go far

Addicted to Softballfans
Depending on who it is and the situation, I might talk a little ****. I wouldn't call them on it, though, cuz i ain't a snitch.

u just dont like 3-1 count asshats trying to be so cool in the box by standing like a **** by the plate

UptotheKnuckle

Addicted to Softballfans
Called out bats. No one cares, Ump just shrugs. It's Fing lame. I'm usually just glad its a 1mile high pop out to left field. Rather then going up middle when I'm pitching. Played on my family's team, Had a Co-ed league hero, 1/2 swing, Mile high can o corn. Strikes out swinging next up(much laughs). He then goes middle next three at bats. I see it coming and an already backed up, outs every time. Tell their pitcher to make him pitch. He does. Ball to knee cap. He starts talking smack, walking up to me. Arguement ensues and he's tossed. Co-ed league is serious buisness bro.

Last edited:

dponder

Addicted to Softballfans
Called out bats. No one cares, Ump just shrugs. It's Fing lame. I'm usually just glad its a 1mile high pop out to left field. Rather then going up middle when I'm pitching. Played on my family's team, Had a Co-ed league hero, 1/2 swing, Mile high can o corn. Strikes out swinging next up(much laughs). He then goes middle next three at bats. I see it coming and an already backed up, outs every time. Tell their pitcher to make him pitch. He does. Ball to knee cap. He starts talking smack, walking up to me. Arguement ensues and he's tossed. Co-ed league is serious buisness bro.

As bad as it is for him to swing a shaved stick, the response of purposefully trying to hit the pitcher, and actually doing so, is just as bad in my book.

Keep it classy man. If he wanted, he could have sued you. Doesn't mean he would have won or anything like that, but it would have been an unnecessary burden on your time and resources. All to be alpha in a softball game. The risk is not worth the reward here.

TonyB

Addicted to Softballfans
I'm pretty sure ASA rules State either team can use any bat in play...
Yeah, I doubt that.
I have never understood the you can swing my sticks anytime line that gets thrown out there. I mean what does it prove? If it's cut then somebody else swings it they are swinging a cut stick too.
I've only had one opportunity to say it, and I said it because I wanted the crybaby to swing it and see that it wasn't the bat that made me hit well.

Yes, they still shave them. Why wouldn't they? The goal isn't to get them hot. It's to get them hotter.
The league that I know people cut their bats doesn't have a testing policy. The guy admits to adding extra EL, but says he doesn't shave it. He doesn't hit well enough for me to think otherwise, but if he cuts the bat for one reason I'm sure he'd do it for another.
Cutting/shaving a bat is altering it. Adding weight is altering it. But adding weight is not cutting.
Good one, Farva.

chrometip78

The Hungarian Barbarian
I have never understood the you can swing my sticks anytime line that gets thrown out there. I mean what does it prove? If it's cut then somebody else swings it they are swinging a cut stick too. Doesn't prove it's not by letting others swing it. I will say that just putting a cut bat in people's hand doesn't make them a power hitter or better hitter. You still have to know how to hit a softball. I have seen plenty of people use cut sticks and still not be able to do anything with them.

I've only heard comments about my bat a couple times but I didn't offer to let them swing it, I offered to swing any of their bats for my next at bat, got "I'm just joking bro, nice hit". Same would work in reverse, offer the guy you think is swinging glass to swing your clean bat and see how it goes.

A lot of times blue doesn't care unless you're pitcher refuses to pitch until he checks it out. Also, a lot of the younger blues around here play too, if their buddy is swinging, it could go either way. I had a blue tell a guy to "put it away" before he got to the box, others giggle, wink, and nod like they're cool.

Good one, Farva.

Say car ramrod, say it.

scrub

Addicted to Softballfans
Yeah, I've often wondered why utrip, leagues and tournies never have any specific policies to pull bats and actually just discourage anyone from ever calling out a bat....but then I remember there isn't any integrity to this recreational sport and it's all about an enclave of shady businessmen trying to profit off of it, so I continue to swing my broken in stock bats that do the same thing and stopped giving a **** about it years ago.

Let the slowpitch pitchers association do something about it, I've already made myself clear how I feel about ***** sticks. Who am I to stand in the way of anyone's delusions that they aren't as good as they think they are, that would practically ruin the sport. :bigok: