Why no velcro love?

Spackler

...got that goin for me
I dont have any velcro gloves now but was remembering when I did from '88 to '02 and I really liked it. Was able to wrench that thing on tight that gave a feeling that the glove was an extension of the hand and no shifting around at all. Also it allows you to get the right wrist size with its infinite sizing compared to other types....

I was thinking of trying one again.....why dont you like it? Its a higher risk cause I know moving it will be tougher if I dont want :rolleyes:

grubd

Banned User
Velcro works better than the leather straps. It doesn't get old and tough either. Probably it is about people thinking it doesn't look as nice and top quality. That thought is just rubbish.

Last edited:

fredderf

MiZUNo & HORWeeN LoVER
I dont have any velcro gloves now but was remembering when I did from '88 to '02 and I really liked it. Was able to wrench that thing on tight that gave a feeling that the glove was an extension of the hand and no shifting around at all. Also it allows you to get the right wrist size with its infinite sizing compared to other types....

I was thinking of trying one again.....why dont you like it? Its a higher risk cause I know moving it will be tougher if I dont want :rolleyes:

It's all aesthetic. Sure it works well, but looks hideous. Kinda like a basket web.
F

Jen_16

Coach
I wouldn't wear an all Velcro back but I sure do love my Wilson DFS with a Velcro cover strap. It's definitely a matter of aesthetics. Nothing wrong w Velcro, but a few people have chimes in when they saw my A2K.

Spackler

...got that goin for me
I wouldn't wear an all Velcro back but I sure do love my Wilson DFS with a Velcro cover strap. It's definitely a matter of aesthetics. Nothing wrong w Velcro, but a few people have chimes in when they saw my A2K.

does that Velcro strap let you tighten it......if yes then same concept and you love some velcro :p:p

LuckyMatthews

#SelfProclaimedEastonGuru
Velcro wears out. I want my glove to last me the rest of my life. A quality piece of leather can be handed down generations, a Velcro glove won't be very good after just a few seasons. Yes you can replace the Velco, but I'd rather only worry about lacing.

chrometip78

The Hungarian Barbarian
I don't like feeling the Velcro system while I'm closing the glove. Feels like it keeps a large enough chunk of the leather inflexible over the back of my hand where I want it to be flexible. Acts kinda similar to a fastback but even a fastback breaks in and flexes with the straps there. May sound stupid but it's in my head when I'm closing the glove.

ilyk2win

Addicted to Softballfans
I just commented about this yesterday in a post. I like the concept of velcro in that it is easily adjusted to personal preference on the fly......open backs are one setting only and closed/fast backs have a pull strap that is next to useless. I am all for velcro from a functional standpoint, but aside from one 13.5" HoH (made for fastpitch I believe) and some customs it only seems to be available on low end gloves. Done right, I'd give one a shot....I've even considered making my own custom from a stock glove but am just too lazy or just don't care enough at this point in time.

DIRTY 30

The same reason why I don't have velcro on my shoes. It's cool when you're a kid or a senior citizen.

MNCFer

Mr. Glass
I don't like feeling the Velcro system while I'm closing the glove. Feels like it keeps a large enough chunk of the leather inflexible over the back of my hand where I want it to be flexible. Acts kinda similar to a fastback but even a fastback breaks in and flexes with the straps there. May sound stupid but it's in my head when I'm closing the glove.

This...and I think it looks stupid.

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
Yep, it is an aesthetic thing. And yes, I am the one who lobbied Nokona to take it off the walnut softball gloves. If you play with it a lot (reset it every time you put it on), it will wear out, but I bet most will set it once to the right spot and leave it - that is what I did with my AMG650.

Yes, closed back gloves generally have a terrible design for adjusting the opening, but both Worth and Nokona have excellent systems -- infinitely adjustable and secure. No reason for the Velcro.

BTW, Nokona tells me that for most fastpitch players (a good part of their market), Velcro is absolutely essential.

David the Gnome

The Veteran
Velcro also stops working when the fibers get clogged with dirt. The last thing you want during a game is a glove that won't stay on.

Trung1130

FREE AGENT FOR LIFE

Those were some really great gloves. Don't see too many of the Wilson Conform DFS gloves around anymore. Do you guys remember the Wilson Under Glove. Once in a while I would do a google search and try to find a couple of them. I remember using the Under Glove for at least 6 years. now you cant find them anywhere.

backatit

I took back 2012 Nokona Walnut that had the velcro because it was just too dang stiff. It made breaking in the glove much more difficult. I much prefer the flex and lighter weight of the leather straps.

grubd

Banned User
I took back 2012 Nokona Walnut that had the velcro because it was just too dang stiff. It made breaking in the glove much more difficult. I much prefer the flex and lighter weight of the leather straps.

The stiffness is crazy on all new Nokona gloves except the ones that have used kangaroo. Well I wouldn't call them game ready or anything like that. The break in process is long but well worth it in the end. It is kind of like easton bats that take a heck of a lot longer to break in and once they do they are amazing and last a very long time.

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
I did have an ex-fastpitch player on a co-ed team I was on a few years back and the Velcro had completely lost its grab. The glove was about 4 years old. I have no idea how often she adjusted it, but it does wear out eventually.

grubd

Banned User
I did have an ex-fastpitch player on a co-ed team I was on a few years back and the Velcro had completely lost its grab. The glove was about 4 years old. I have no idea how often she adjusted it, but it does wear out eventually.

I adjusted mine maybe once every 2 years and if somebody borrowed my glove they would do it once or twice that day. My amg 600 is now 14 years old and the velcro is still fine! The leather not so much, it has a big hole in the palm after all these years and is floppy.

Hebrew Hacker

Derby Jew
I haven't played around with Worth and Nokona wrist adjustment systems, but the vast majority of the ones I've tried to use have sucked, plain and simple. I've got very thin wrists and tiny hands, and it's frustrating that I'm unable to really feel comfortable with higher end gloves because of that. Velcro is an absolute must on a glove for me.

backatit

The stiffness is crazy on all new Nokona gloves except the ones that have used kangaroo. Well I wouldn't call them game ready or anything like that. The break in process is long but well worth it in the end. It is kind of like easton bats that take a heck of a lot longer to break in and once they do they are amazing and last a very long time.

Right! And, upon receiving one without the velcro and instead the 2013 leather strap, I commenced breaking it in and am much happier!

Incidentally, I bought both the Walnut 1300 and 1350 from Justballgloves and am trying to decide which I like best for mostly outfield play... Justballgloves mistakenly sent me a 2012 velcro version of the 1350 and, upon my calling them and learning that they were out of the 2013 model, they arranged to take back the 2012 version AND coordinated directly with Nokona to have them drop ship me a 2013 model. That's service! Amazing. :)

DIRTY 30

I haven't played around with Worth and Nokona wrist adjustment systems, but the vast majority of the ones I've tried to use have sucked, plain and simple. I've got very thin wrists and tiny hands, and it's frustrating that I'm unable to really feel comfortable with higher end gloves because of that. Velcro is an absolute must on a glove for me.

Give this a shot sometime.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans

I generally have the same issue, but I can make Nokonas with the straps pretty tight. I am also in discussion with Glovesmith about making the opening of the closed back 1300USA much more adjustable.

ANd while I think Dirty's adjustable method is pretty slick, if you need it even tighter (although it wouldn't be adjustable), you can tighten an open back glove even further.

Down through hole 1, into the button lap, up through 4, down through 2, back into button lap, and up thorough 3.

Last edited:

Frisco Kid

Addicted to Metal
Huh. And I thought **I** had tiny wrists. Apparently not. My GMP7C fits perfectly fine with no adjustments. Whodathunk.

freelanceterry

Addicted to Softballfans
Had an M2 open back w/ velcro delivered today. When I get home this eve I'll throw up a "first impression review". Ordered for a friend who wanted an open back but the ability to adjust constantly...between every pitch....really wrench it down. I didn't stumble upon 30's vid till after. Oh well.

DIRTY 30

ANd while I think Dirty's adjustable method is pretty slick, if you need it even tighter (although it wouldn't be adjustable), you can tighten an open back glove even further

Thanks, I have a tutorial for that too. :cool:

(7:28 mark)

Last edited by a moderator:

chrometip78

The Hungarian Barbarian
Think Podo did one using an extra piece of lace to tighten up the hand stall that looks pretty slick. I'm going to get the wifey a nicer fp globe with Velcro and hope that works, if not, I'll add the Podo method. She lover her stupid Easton black magic though, kills me to even throw it in my bag, but nothing gets past her with it. She wears a youth large batting glove fwiw.