Why would anyone do this?

Road Dog

Addicted to Softballfans
I saw a guy during league tonight with a rubber mallet Beat the heck out of his Salvo tonight-- I'm not talking little taps either. I went over to the Guy and asked him why he's beating up the Salvo and said it would break in faster than Bp ??? Needless to say I left "Thor" to finish doing his business. Poor bat had three scuff marks the size of a baseball.

This can't be good... Has anyone seen something like this Before?

Jhall24

Addicted to Softballfans
I saw a guy during league tonight with a rubber mallet Beat the heck out of his Salvo tonight-- I'm not talking little taps either. I went over to the Guy and asked him why he's beating up the Salvo and said it would break in faster than Bp ??? Needless to say I left "Thor" to finish doing his business. Poor bat had three scuff marks the size of a baseball.

It's an absolutely idiotic thing to do, not to mention illegal. You can't hit a bat hard enough with a mallet to equal a batted ball. So basically the guys an idiot.

slider5252

Addicted to Softballfans
I've seen people tap 2 bats together or even tap it on one of the metal posts for the fence, but never full out beat one with a hammer. That's just abuse. You might as well have the bat rolled. Atleast rolling doesn't leave huge scuffs.

Joe Daddy

Smash and Grab
On the scale of crazy things people do to their bats, this is timid, tepid, and a whole lotta lukewarm.

Madsunz

This has been going on since composites came around. Doesn't hurt the bat that much, and it does break it in.

vlcmstnaz

volcom stone az
saw a guy smashing his SCL1 against the corner of the dugout before a game last season. i pointed it out to the LD who turned his back and walked away. guy gets up to use it his first at bat and one of my guys says something to the blue about it. blue says because he didn't see it he can't do anything about it, never mind the huge white spots of delamination. might as well have a roller in the dugout; they're not going to do anything about it anyway.

TheShowdown

Addicted to Softballfans

Uhhh....Needless to say he knew what he was doing and you didnt.....Do I approve of it? No...But you were being nosey. So let it be.

Ozwald

Snake Doctor
It's an absolutely idiotic thing to do, not to mention illegal. You can't hit a bat hard enough with a mallet to equal a batted ball. So basically the guys an idiot.

x2

but when you spend hrs stroking your bat with a rubber headed dil$& it's human nature to try to convice yourself you're not an idiot, ie it must work.

TheShowdown

Addicted to Softballfans
saw a guy smashing his SCL1 against the corner of the dugout before a game last season. i pointed it out to the LD who turned his back and walked away. guy gets up to use it his first at bat and one of my guys says something to the blue about it. blue says because he didn't see it he can't do anything about it, never mind the huge white spots of delamination. might as well have a roller in the dugout; they're not going to do anything about it anyway.

Poor guy was probally trying to bust it so he could get something else...On another note I gave a niw SCL1 away for 3 Dudley TA's

Longball 28

Repping the Vinci

I agree it's illegal but I can guarantee that hitting that bat with the rubber mallet might not have as much impact as hitting a ball but I bet it's closer than you think. Not to mention hitting it with the mallet will break it in more than a bat that is just sitting in a bag. It will no doubt have some effect on the bat..

Madsunz

I really just don't believe a man can swings a rubber mallet hard enough to do anything to a bat.

Lay your bat on the grass and hit it 75% with a rubber mallet. You will feel it in your arm - you are doing something to the bat :D

I do not do this to any bats I currently own, however, I have done it to a couple absolute logs and it helped (Combat Uncensored).

warpath

BUTT****ING THE WORLD
I agree with hall, people that use mallets are morons. It doesnt do anything, especially compare to taking full swings in bp and rolling.

GNOLAUM

*insert dope custom title here
Alot of hate for something that will add 7 feet to any ball hit. Who cares!

Jhall24

Addicted to Softballfans
This came from a study done by a student comparing break in methods to composite bats.

Hammer/Mallet Treatment

The Hammer/Mallet technique is often used by players on their own bats. As the name implies it simply involves hitting the barrel of the bat with a hard rubber mallet, or a ball mallet made by fixing a softball to a handle. There is even a commercially available Bat HammerTM for breaking in bats. One strikes the barrel of the bat along the entire length of the barrel, and around its circumference. The strength of an impact that a player can impart with a rubber mallet is nowhere near the force of impact between bat and ball (unless you can generate several thousand pounds of force), so this technique does not cause damage to the bat barrel like the other techniques mentioned above. I have tested several bats that were broken-in with the Bat HammerTM and have detected a noticeable improvement in performance without the degredation in durability.

So basically unless you have the machine it does nothing.

Jhall24

Addicted to Softballfans
I've seen guys use rubber mallets and even bang the bat against a tree.

Banging a bat against a tree will work. You generate the same for e as a swing against an immovable object. It's better than hitting balls. But worse on the bat

heath

Addicted to Softballfans
On a related note. What the hell does it accomplish tapping 2 bats together? See this every night and still think its pointless.

JJF13

Addicted to Softballfans
Well I have seen people have a roller machine in the back of a pick up truck and roll their teammates bats before a tournament. Then rake in hundreds of dollars charging people to roll their bat. Guy made enough that day to pay the roller off x3.

The hard end of a dead blow hammer is actually softer than using a ball mallet, bp, roller, etc. So essentially it really isnt hurting the bat. Unless they hit the same spot over and over and over again. But yeah I have seen people do this. Fence post. Wrap the bat in a t-shirt and hit it against a light pole (not real hard). Take 2 bats and hit them together.

rightsideswine

Banned User
Well I have seen people have a roller machine in the back of a pick up truck and roll their teammates bats before a tournament. Then rake in hundreds of dollars charging people to roll their bat. Guy made enough that day to pay the roller off x3.

The hard end of a dead blow hammer is actually softer than using a ball mallet, bp, roller, etc. So essentially it really isnt hurting the bat. Unless they hit the same spot over and over and over again. But yeah I have seen people do this. Fence post. Wrap the bat in a t-shirt and hit it against a light pole (not real hard). Take 2 bats and hit them together.

There is a roller out there that you can get with a trailer hitch attachment...not that I would know or anything.

derickatm

Addicted to Softballfans
This came from a study done by a student comparing break in methods to composite bats.

Hammer/Mallet Treatment

The Hammer/Mallet technique is often used by players on their own bats. As the name implies it simply involves hitting the barrel of the bat with a hard rubber mallet, or a ball mallet made by fixing a softball to a handle. There is even a commercially available Bat HammerTM for breaking in bats. One strikes the barrel of the bat along the entire length of the barrel, and around its circumference. The strength of an impact that a player can impart with a rubber mallet is nowhere near the force of impact between bat and ball (unless you can generate several thousand pounds of force), so this technique does not cause damage to the bat barrel like the other techniques mentioned above. I have tested several bats that were broken-in with the Bat HammerTM and have detected a noticeable improvement in performance without the degredation in durability.

So basically unless you have the machine it does nothing.

link source please.

im pretty sure i could damage the composite of my bat with a mallet so i need to be proven otherwise.

edit: yeah ...uh... if its about object versus swing velocity.........the slow pitch is moot, and i could damage a bat more with a hammer strike than i can with a swing on a lob toss. it would have to be about the materials involved, and the mallet can't be much diff than an asa ball.

Jhall24

Addicted to Softballfans
link source please.

im pretty sure i could damage the composite of my bat with a mallet so i need to be proven otherwise.

edit: yeah ...uh... if its about object versus swing velocity.........the slow pitch is moot, and i could damage a bat more with a hammer strike than i can with a swing on a lob toss. it would have to be about the materials involved, and the mallet can't be much diff than an asa ball.

http://paws.kettering.edu/~drussell/bats-new/abi.html