Why

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
Wood bats hit .52 300s way better than .44 400s. I'm sure @tatooball and @bobbybuggs can put why into words better than me but basically wood doesn't compress and need the ball to do more of the work.

Any ball below .47 core you need the bat to do a lot of the work. .44s or .40s don't have much bounce, and they're made to be used with composite or aluminum bats that have trampoline affect.

Any ball that has a high cor will usually fly at least decently off wood.

Stadium balls USUALLY fly well off wood bats, but I've seen bad ones. It'll feel like you're just smashing the ball, but they'll die at about 275' every time. I've had limited success hitting hard core Pro Ms with wood. They'll go 300', but you have to just annihilate them.

stang7222

Addicted to Softballfans
Any ball below .47 core you need the bat to do a lot of the work. .44s or .40s don't have much bounce, and they're made to be used with composite or aluminum bats that have trampoline affect.

Any ball that has a high cor will usually fly at least decently off wood.

Stadium balls USUALLY fly well off wood bats, but I've seen bad ones. It'll feel like you're just smashing the ball, but they'll die at about 275' every time. I've had limited success hitting hard core Pro Ms with wood. They'll go 300', but you have to just annihilate them.
I just remember hitting bp with wood a few years back. I have a mix of .44 375/400 and .52 275/300. The .52s were noticeably hotter off the bat for everyone.

Plus, if you've ever seen a super slowmo of an MLB player hitting a ball, the ball pancakes pretty flat before rebounding to is normal shape. The higher the COR the better suited for such applications.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
I just remember hitting bp with wood a few years back. I have a mix of .44 375/400 and .52 275/300. The .52s were noticeably hotter off the bat for everyone.

Plus, if you've ever seen a super slowmo of an MLB player hitting a ball, the ball pancakes pretty flat before rebounding to is normal shape. The higher the COR the better suited for such applications.

Baseballs are actually pretty high cor. .52 or more. That's why guys are able to go 400'+ with wood bats.

If baseballs were as dead as .40 or .44 cor softballs you would see a TON less HR.

I think the ultimate solution to softball's equipment problem is to go back to dead bats and lively balls.

Bobby Buggs

SBF Site Sponsor
I know your retired Kevin but I Cant believe you sat by and didnt comment on a 700 compression ball. Today I use one of the oldest factories to make softballs 1 you used to know and they laughed when I said 650, not mention 700

basilray

It would. All the guys I know here in CO have fragile egos, and are used to hitting the ball well with rock hard balls and ridiculously hot bats.

Every once in a while someone tries to run a wood bat tourny here, and no one ever signs up. In the old days we had them sometimes, and it was fun. Hitting a HR off a 300' field with a wood bat is an accomplishment, and few players can say they've ever done it.

One thing with wood bats... you need a somewhat bouncy ball (like a .52). Hitting classic Ms (or other .40 balls) suck. They literally go nowhere.

One time years ago I played a tourny that was wood bats and 11" balls. It still wasn't very easy to go yard. 11" balls are fun to hit with wood.

I played a one-day wood bat tourney this fall for the first time. Bats were supplied, and had to be entirely wood, no composite handles. 52/300 balls. I think fences were 285'.

A lot of guys who swing 25/26oz bats struggled jumping to 32oz, which was the lightest supplied bat. I generally swing 28oz short barrel, so it wasn't as bad. That being said, I barreled up one of my best swings of 2023, and thought I had for sure put it out. It flew off the bat, only to die about 10' short of the fence for a routine out.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
I played a one-day wood bat tourney this fall for the first time. Bats were supplied, and had to be entirely wood, no composite handles. 52/300 balls. I think fences were 285'.

A lot of guys who swing 25/26oz bats struggled jumping to 32oz, which was the lightest supplied bat. I generally swing 28oz short barrel, so it wasn't as bad. That being said, I barreled up one of my best swings of 2023, and thought I had for sure put it out. It flew off the bat, only to die about 10' short of the fence for a routine out.

That's interesting. Usually with .52 300 balls you get fairly good distance with wood. Not all wood softball bats are heavy, BTW. I've seen some really light ones. They're ash, and they're junk. They have poor weighting, and it doesn't feel like you can even drive through the ball well with them.

Classic Ms and .44s are another story entirely. Those balls won't do anywhere since neither the bat or ball is doing any work.

BTW, I love seeing wimpy guys struggle with heavy bats. Last time I hit BP with a bunch of people I brought out a 35" wood baseball bat and hit some .52s over a 300' fence. Bat is at least 32 oz. No one else would even swing it. Frankly, I don't think they were even physically capable of doing so.

DirtBag215

Only thing that gets me with wood bats is the handle. I’m so use to thin handle composites with a grip n rip magnum. But I do fine in my wood bat league otherwise

blakcherry329

I'm surprised somebody didn't get a hernia or need Tommy John surgery swinging a 32oz. lol. Must have been kinda funny watching everyone complaining.

Last edited: