wiffle ball tournament

ProTow34

just here for the beer!!!
i want to throw a wifflre ball tournament to raise money for som travel expenses and tourament fees for my mens team.. what is the best format, and what wuld be a fair price for teams to get in?

drtyjers

Addicted to Softballfans
How many fields can you fit? How many games would you like everyone to play? How many players per team? What rules would you like to play with? All factors. Here's what works for me, I have a wiffle ball tourney every year.
4 man teams.
Slow pitch (must have arc) curves are ok.
I have a 2' wide by 3' tall strike zone built from ply wood.
No base running
Walks ok batter stays batting to avoid pitching around stronger players
4 fouls your out
Base hit line just past pitcher.
HR 190 ft
Must pull to strong side of pitcher (painted line)
4 inning games (alot of scoring so games last 35 to 45 minutes per with 4 innings)
3 team bracket to double elminination (4 gg)
16 teams you will need at least 4 fields to get it done in 8 hours = 1280
10 runs after 3 innings mercy rule
$80 per team with cash prizes to top 3 finishing teams. 80 120 160 = 360 paid out
You'll raise $920 and throw in a 50/50 to make a bit more and cover expenses. You should be able to clear 1200.
I would also avoid fences as they will be ran through. Just paint a line with a base hit ump and HR ump and calling pitches thrown with no arc.
It ends up being a great time for everyone!

I'm sure there are many ways for running it but this works for me. Good luck!

Dkrep1

The Veteran
Lol. Your welcome for the idea. Told you that's how we should have played the championship on Saturday!

ProTow34

just here for the beer!!!
that is a really cool format drtyjers, thanks for the help.. would love to hear from anyone else who might have something different..

packerbacker796

Bi-Polar as they Come
Trying this one this fall and I'll make money hand over fist. A no age limit Kick Ball Tourney. In our local fall league they turn away teams because of the high numbers wanting to play. $100 a team and I'll get 20 or more teams.

packerbacker796

Bi-Polar as they Come
Spread them around a pitcher, catcher, then 5 other fielders. You can put them anywhere you want as long as you have a Pitcher and Catcher. No hitting anyone above the waist for an out. It's loads of fun and the whole family can play.

x25

Addicted to Softballfans
First, you have a key decision:

Do you pitch to your own team, or to the other team?

Pitching to the other team becomes a TOTAL cluster****, but is more fun for the "good" players - teams that have played before and have a real pitcher will asscrush everybody else. Like, a pickup team has literally zero shot to win. Unless you have a ton or zero good players, it's probably better to pitch to your own team (for a fund raiser, this will be MUCH more fun/successful for everybody).

From there, play w/ teams of 5 or 6 (six is great for coed), put out a snow fence at something like 125-150', and assign distances for each hit - past a fielder/pitcher is a single, past the 'infield' line in the air is a double, off the fence is a triple, over the fence is a homer. No baserunners, they advance if forced.

No walks, and something like 3-pitch max. No "count" but put up a strike zone dummy behind the batter, and if it hits that with no swing, the batter's out. From there, play something like 5 innings to keep things moving, and offer plenty of eating and drinking opportunities - there are a couple big charity events like this around here that use this system, and they're wildly successful.

(just reading jerz's, it's pretty similar - both seem easy to do on regulation SB fields and requires pretty minimal setup)

x25

Addicted to Softballfans
Once you decide on a setup, there are also a ton of other options that you can add based on what you like - for example, the strike zone (usually plywood or a pitching dummy) can also be the double-play target, so if you catch a ball in the air behind the infield line, you can immediately throw home to try to 'turn 2' off the zone (much harder than it sounds). You can also sell mulligans, or limit HRs then sell tickets for more, make it so only girls can hit HRs, and all sorts of awesome stuff. It's an easy event to run, and a blast.

Hunt2live92

Starting Player
I'd play wiffle or kickball. Bring fun things to Georgia. I think both are actually here, i'm just not willing to drive into or around Atlanta to get to them frequently.